Updates between multiple major versions are unsupported

Problem

A “Updates between multiple major versions are unsupported” message is shown during an update/upgrade

Description

As the message is telling you, you have done an unsupported upgrade path. For example:

Original version: 9.0.52
Upgraded version: 11.0.0

In this case you have skipped the 10.0.x upgrade which is unsupported as stated within the documentation.

Solution:

You need to upgrade first to the latest available version of 10.0.x which is currently 10.0.2. For that specific scenario the following is recommended:

1. Remove all files and folders of your Nextcloud installation folder except /data/ and /config/
  2. Download 9.0.56 from https://nextcloud.com/changelog/
  3. Extract the content of the archive it into your Nextcloud installation folder
  4. Run the update via the webui or the command line tool

Afterwards repeat those steps with 10.0.2 and 11.0.0

Cannot manually upgrade from 11.0.3
How-to/FAQ WIKI

On migration from owncloud 10.0.9.5, the updater downloaded automatically Nextcloud version 12.0.10

Unfortunately, occ upgrade failed:

sudo -u www-data ./occ upgrade
Nextcloud or one of the apps require upgrade - only a limited number of commands are available
You may use your browser or the occ upgrade command to do the upgrade
Set log level to debug
Exception: Updates between multiple major versions and downgrades are unsupported.
Update failed
Maintenance mode is kept active
Reset log level

I am running into the same problem. I upgraded my OC instance to the latest version (10.0.9), then ran the NC automated updater. It proceeded fine, but then when I run occ upgrade I get told that multiple version upgrades are not supported.

This is the version it downloaded. It should be a version that it can upgrade to. If not, why did it download it?