Fixing running version 17 when on 15

I was running docker version of nexcloud image 15(linux/armv7). I figured due to security issues I might as well pull the latest release. I did nothing else. The latest release was 17, now I am broken, as 16 or 17 do not run.

Was running 15

Pull latest docker image & ran (17) (did nothing else, couldn’t even login)
It complained about multi version upgrade (thanks for the useful docker logs :slight_smile: ), so I went to run 16, thinking I can upgrade to that, and then upgrade to 17.

This didn’t work. When trying to run 16 I now get
Can’t start Nextcloud because the version of the data (17.0.2.1) is higher than the docker image version (16.0.7.1) and downgrading is not supported. Are you sure you have pulled the newest image version?

What are my options now?

I read Updates between multiple major versions are unsupported and this didn’t seem to have useful info for this situation.

PS it would be great if nothing got upgraded in when pulling an image that is too new, unless I manually overrode a lot of red text.

Do you have a backup?
Do you have a test machine?

No backup, no test machine. This is a simple personal server on my raspberry pi. I didn’t think that pulling a new docker image was a step that warranted a backup. Now I see how mistaken I am.

Anyways this time I reinstalled it with a version based image nextcloud:17 (last time I just used latest) and a comment to only upgrade one version at time and take a backup when you do it.

you may have a look at https://hub.docker.com/r/pyouroboros/ouroboros to keep your container up2date. :wink: