[Discussion] New Photo App in Nextcloud 18

See https://github.com/nextcloud/photos/issues for known issues.

That thread on Github is closed meanwhile but still no fix for Nextcloud 18.0.4?

Or did i miss a setting for the photos app @jospoortvliet?

If you share an individual image, you see a preview, click it and it gets downloaded and you see it in your browser. There is little point in using the viewer hereā€¦

If you share a folder, the viewer is used to cycle through the images. You have to download them individually by clicking the 3 dots and choosing download. There is no download button in the viewer. That would be a good addition at some point but simply is not done yet.

More funny is that because of this issue, pictures are downloaded in original size already:

1 Like

I moved from Open Media Vault to NCP and tweaked the GALLERY to where it worked best for me with all my many images. It was great! Now that GALLERY has been replaced I am sorely disappointed. Performance is very poor, using 18.0.4, especially in ALBUMS. I canā€™t even use ALBUMS. I wonder why if something works - why change it.? Wish I had a way to extend SLIDESHOW times as I was able to do before.
I might have to plan on imaging NCP 17 from one of my many single board computers and replace NCP 18.

2 Likes

Yea, it was a poor choice to remove the old Gallery app before new implementation was finished.

One other thing is that three preview files are genereated, but only one preview is actually used

in preview folder I get these files: 1862-1200-max.jpg 256-165.jpg 256-256-crop.jpg
But looking in dev-tools only the 256-256-crop.jpg is loaded using the src https://domain.com/core/preview?fileId=2039859&x=256&y=256&a=false&v=xxxxxxxxx. When opening the preview full screen it actually loads the original jpeg, not the preview-max file.

Iā€™ve been used to the preview-generator app, but now the previews seems a little different. What sizes should be used now, if I were to use the preview-generator?

Does only work if Photo Sphere Viewer 1.0.8 is disabled. Otherwise photos were still downloaded. (NC 18.0.4 with official Fotos App).

Then a bug report here would be appropriate (it seems like the app would need a bit of dev activity anyway):

Iā€™m also so disappointed in the upgraded NC18 not supporting the old ā€œ/index.php/apps/gallery/s/tgdF3ixā€¦ā€ and redirecting to NC Login! This is very bad if you shared a lot of those links publicly.

The only unsatisfying way is to resend/edit all those links to ā€œ/index.php/s/CiByā€¦ā€ folder views if that is even possible (it is virtually impossible to remember all links send by messerngers or email) :frowning:

Downgrading to NC17 or doing a Gallery App hack seems not worth doing it. I really hope this will be available again in upgrades soon as I really have low understanding if functionality in main Apps (even if not true core) are dropped without BIG! warning before upgrade is proposed. This is not good for my feeling for NC as a real and fine replacement of the Big Corp. Clouds. :frowning:

3 Likes

Something like a transitional period and prior announcements seems to be necessary to fix such problems.

1 Like

Now you know why i have switched to Synology DS220j with Photo Station and DS photo for Android.

This is fixed with files_photospheres version 1.0.9. Please also update to at least NC 18.0.4 to receive the corresponding viewer-app patch. See https://github.com/nextcloud/files_photospheres/issues/47 for more information, cheers.

2 Likes

Thank you @guddl, for the instructions - it worked like a charm.

Like @sz22 said, a github discussion seems to rule out support for external storage anytime soon.

Respectfully, this led me to wonder how you guys use Nextcloud?

Iā€™m all new to Nextcloud and is wide open for suggestions and comments, but after a little bit of pondering, I ended up with a split personality:

• In my LAN I use Samba to access my files, because I can mount the shares in my local file system and have quick and hassle-free access to all my files.
  • Outside my LAN, and from the iPad, i use the Nextcloud web interface.

In order for this to work, I must access my files using the External Storage app, and then the new Photos app wonā€™t show anything at all (I donā€™t really keep anything locally)

Is this weird? How do you do it?

• All files locally, file system access through WebDAV
  • All files locally, file system access through syncing
  • All files locally, file system access directly, with automatic occ files:scan
  • All files locally, file system access through some other means
  • All files locally, no file system access
  • Some or all files in external storage, accessing them outside Nextcloud
  • Some or all files in external storage, not accessing them outside Nextcloud

0 voters

I would mount any external sources in a local path accessible from nextcloud.

I didnā€™t upgrade from NC17 to NC18.0 because of the change to ā€œPhotosā€ app and didnā€™t follow the whole discussion about the changes / fixes.

Can somebody (how also likes the ā€œoldā€ gallery app) tell me how the situation is currently?
Is it now a good and usable replacement and itā€™s worth an upgrade?
How is the situation for NC19?

Here a link to shared photos in the NC 18.0.4 version (tab.digital).
versionstring":"18.0.4"

https://nc.nl.tab.digital/s/wAR9weHRsm6yBHn

I think one bug was solved in a minor release before NC 18.0.4 .
But for thousands of photos it is a bad app.

You also can try nextcloud 18.0.4:

a.) https://try.nextcloud.com
user: get random, password. demo
b.) https://nextcloud-demo.rackspeed-cloud.de
User: nextcloud-demo , Password: nextcloud-demo

Perhaps someone can share photos with the new NC 19.0 - version.

1 Like

Thanks for your suggestions.

I tried in the 18.0.4 demo versions which you posted.
It seems that the Photos app still flattens all pictures from all directories to one big view.
Thatā€™s absolutely not what I want - I liked the way the gallery app did it - show the folders with some extracted thumbnails from the content of the folder.
And only show the pictures of a folder if youā€™re in that folder.

I have a really big bunch of photos in a lot of subdirectories (and these are shared between different groups of people).
And I donā€™t want such a flattened picture view - that does absolutely not make any sense to my environment.

Isnā€™t it possible with the photo app to get back that ā€œfolderā€ view?

So I still have to stay with NC17?
Will it ever be ā€œfixedā€?

1 Like

Yes.

Yes, too

Or perhaps sorted by date (days)

If you use the folder (shared link or file-app) the structure it is not soooo bad.
Example: https://nc.nl.tab.digital/s/JAxd7JcGWT7QtG9

I think you must use the file-app and not the photo-app.
You can preview the pictures also in the file-app and scroll throw single folder.

1 Like

That are absolutely bad news :roll_eyes:

I wonder if Iā€™m really member of a minority group who wants the old behavior back?

2 Likes