Nextcloud Deck delivers: file attachments, checkboxes and export

Originally published at: https://nextcloud.com/blog/nextcloud-deck-delivers-file-attachments-checkboxes-and-export/

[caption id=“attachment_4695” align=“alignright” width=“300”] Attachment in description[/caption]
Nextcloud’s Kanban app Deck today delivered major new features with a new version, including attachment and checkbox support. The last release had well over 30.000 downloads so there are perhaps hundreds of thousands of users managing projects with Deck already and they’ll be glad to see this update come along.

Changes

The major changes in this release are the ability to attach files to cards as well as embed them in the description and support for checkboxes in the description. The new color picker and JSON export feature complete the list. Besides these additions, some bugs were fixed and minor improvements made.
Checkboxes in Deck
Attachments
Dragging an attachment

Find the changelog in github.

Added

• Attach files to cards
  • Embed attachments into the card description
  • Color picker to use any color value for board and labels
  • Support for checkboxes inside the description
  • occ command to export user data as JSON

Fixed

• Improve frontend data management
  • Fix bug the user list being empty on some occasions
6 Likes

Great App! Thank you so much for the development of the app.

I have just one question: How do I use/enable checkboxes inside the description?

Best regards,

Jan

Create markdown checkboxes:
- [ ] First
- [ ] Second

3 Likes

Thank’s a lot. I forgot blank space.

Thank you very much for your app! It helped to significantly streamline my work.

In connection with the recent update, I have a question: where exactly are stored the files that I attach to the card?

My compliments as well. I like how Deck is steadily working towards a more elaborate feature set, without rushing things, while keeping its simpleness! Thanks for this elegant tool!

I’m especially happy with the (json) export feature as it kept me from entering all my data in Deck because I was afraid to get tech-locked in. With this out of the way I can go mental! :wink:

However one question (I tried to find it elsewhere but I was unable to find it):

• What is the specific occ comand to export the data (how does it work)?

I realize it is run from the CLI (elegant and quick), but how exactly. Do I need to be at a certain path, what is the command to type etc. (did I miss a guide somewhere)?

@system Care to enlighten me (should be a 1 minute answer)?

@woosting regarding the guide, have a look at Using the OCC Command in Nextcloud admin docs.
Following that guide, on my Ubuntu install I’ve run the following to get a list of commands:

> sudo -u www-data php /var/www/nextcloud/occ list
<snip>
 deck
  deck:export                         Export a JSON dump of user data
<snip>

I can then show the help page for that command to get more information:

> sudo -u www-data php /var/www/nextcloud/occ help deck:export
Usage:
  deck:export <user-id>

Arguments:
  user-id               User ID of the user

Options:
  -h, --help            Display this help message
  -q, --quiet           Do not output any message
  -V, --version         Display this application version
      --ansi            Force ANSI output
      --no-ansi         Disable ANSI output
  -n, --no-interaction  Do not ask any interactive question
      --no-warnings     Skip global warnings, show command output only
  -v|vv|vvv, --verbose  Increase the verbosity of messages: 1 for normal output, 2 for more verbose output and 3 for debug

Help:
  Export a JSON dump of user data

You can redirect the JSON output of the command using the standard shell operators like ‘|’ and ‘>’.
So if I wanted to export data for user “fabio” to a JSON file in my OS, in my environment I would run:
sudo -u www-data php /var/www/nextcloud/occ deck:export fabio > /path/i/want/fabio.deck.json

What to do with the JSON after that would be up to you. I don’t currently see a way to import it, but I’m sure that’s high priority for next release. The GitHub issue for import/export looks to still be open.
Updated in 2024: Unfortunately, the import feature still isn’t there. Folks have put together a few unofficial attempts. They’re missing some of the integration features, but you may find something like this script useful in a pinch.

5 Likes

Thank you for your excellent answer (and sorry for not having found that myself…)!

The good news is that the gitHub issue indeed seems still open ($15,- bounty attached). The bad news is that the gitHub issue indeed seems still open. :wink:

Or, on a higher level:

• How do people deal with Deck migrations from one Nextcloud instance to another?
2 Likes

Any updates on this?

Just a detail:

:slight_smile:

1 Like