[Discussion] New Photo App in Nextcloud 18

Yes. The new app is unfinished.

Nice feature

I think the app was new programmed.

Following @guddlā€™s recipe, I donā€™t think you need terminal access - you can do the git clone and wget on your own computer and FTP to the server?

Who does nothing makes no mistakes. I am really happy that the problem has been noticed by developpers. I would like to add that:

I was using gallery app for 2 reasons:

• to be able to show the photos as matrix, which is much,much,much more impressing the viewer than a list of files or a regular grid of small thumbnails.

• to share a link that will show as a impressing view to the receiving people (matrix view is very good for this purpose).

Both are related to presentation of photos. Which is ruined in this version.

ā€œthe grid view of files is quite OK tooā€ - no it is NOT. Would you ask 2 people which photos are better showing them a matrix view on the left and a grid view on the right they will percieve the matrix photos as better ever if they are the same photos.

I donā€™t know what is the reason for a separate photos app if this is simply the same view as you normally have in folders view - you can also turn on the grid view. I do not see a reason to place the same thing in two different places in the menu. Maybe I am missing something but for me this is completely the same.

I would recommend to bring the previous version of gallery ā€˜as isā€™ for the people who liked it and who see no reason in ā€˜upgradingā€™ it to the version missing key features.

8 Likes

Code for the gallery app is here: https://github.com/nextcloud/gallery

Everyone is invited to fork the app. Rename it to gallery2, make it compatible with newer versions and publish it to the app store. Iā€™m sure a lot of people will appreciate it :wink:

2 Likes

I was also very disappointed with all the established functions of gallery missing in the new photo app introduced with Nextcloud 18.

Now after 6 Month with NC18 and even with NC19 already published all functions to present my fotoalbum with a shared public link in a nice looking view are still missing. I am using Nextcloud in a shared hosting environment with no terminal access - so at first look I did not realize the ease of the solution of @kesselb and @guddl to keep the old gallery running in NC 18 and NC19:

Only one js file in the old gallery app has to be replaced!
/apps/gallery/js/vendor/dompurify/src/purify.js
has to be replaced by
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/cure53/DOMPurify/1.0.11/dist/purify.js

Here is my php script:
located and started in the webspace of Your Nexcloud Root it will clone the gallery app in Your Nextcloud /apps path and replace the js file.

<?php    
$myPath = rtrim(realpath(dirname(__FILE__)), '/') ."/apps" ;

$file_from = 'https://github.com/nextcloud/gallery/archive/master.zip' ;
$filename  = $myPath .'/GalleryfromGIT.zip' ;
file_put_contents($filename, file_get_contents($file_from));

$zip = new ZipArchive;
$zip->open($filename);
$zip->extractTo($myPath);
$zip->close();
unlink($filename);

$myPath .= '/gallery';
rename($myPath .'-master', $myPath);

$file_from = 'https://raw.githubusercontent.com/cure53/DOMPurify/1.0.11/dist/purify.js' ;
$filename  = $myPath .'/js/vendor/dompurify/src/purify.js' ;
file_put_contents($filename, file_get_contents($file_from));

Echo 'Login in Nextcloud and activate Gallery App';
?>
4 Likes

didnā€™t know about all the mess here, until i wanted to show some vacation pics today. took me half an hour figuring out what happened and finding this thread hereā€¦ how comes this simple thing isnā€™t fixed yet? come on guys. devā€™s duck and coveredā€¦?

so, being somewhat more productive - indeed the old gallery works perfectly with just one simple .js fixed. also no need for any terminal or script at all. just forked the gallery-master with couple of clicks:

download, rename (gallery), upload, activate. lotā€™s of fun.
credits to @kesselb @cure53 @guddl

7 Likes

It is possible to build in a face recognition to sort/mark the pictures? That would be greatā€¦

See https://apps.nextcloud.com/apps/facerecognition

1 Like

Thanks a lot !
I was ashamed since 1 or 2 months !

I do not use nextcloud (not yet ?) in a professional context (non-profit associations only) but the management of the switch from gallery to photo is problematic. I hope this is a mistake and not a symptom, it would be problematic.

Being new to all this, just installed nextcloud via my unraid docker, is this something that will work on my system? How exactly do I install this? Total nubie here.

Log in as your Nextcloud administrator and select Apps from the menu that pops up when you click your profile image/symbol in the top right corner.

The Photo app is among all the apps - itā€™s most likely already installed, but you may have to activate it.

Then click the photo app icon in your top left menu/toolbar.

That should be it.

If it looks good to you, then youā€™re good to go.

And if you want to check out the old Gallery app, just follow the instructions in this post.

The old and the new apps can co-exist.

Welcome to Nextcloud :smiley:

Quick follow up question. Is there a way to sort the photos by filename in the current photos app? I donā€™t see any sorting options. Perhaps editing of a file to set sort? My files are named by date and even though in a browser on my drive, they sort properly, in nextcloud they do not.

Hehe, welcome to the frustrated crowd.

I recommend you check out the old Gallery app, and see if that doesnā€™t suit you better?

It can sort by name and date, and essentially for me; it can show pictures from external storage.

The instructions in the post I linked to worked fine for me.

I really with they would have invested their efforts into improving the old Gallery app and added features to that, instead of starting from scratch with the new Photos app :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Hello guys.
Iā€™ve got question. One of the thing i love about google photos, is that i may create album, and choose what photos i may put there. So there is ALBUM NAME with photos (from many directories where i uploaded them) that i choose.
Is there any way of doing that with Photos app or Gallery app?
I saw ā€œAlbumsā€ in Photos app (NC19), but those are just directories with photos inside. I would like to make an Album (not directory!), and choose what photos should be inside, and then share such album with family. Is it possible with NC?

1 Like

I think you need a sharing function through the nextcloud tagging feature. I think it does not exist.

https://github.com/nextcloud/server/issues/1274

https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/latest/user_manual/files/access_webgui.html

Hi there,
one question: how can I change how photos in album view are sorted?

When I share a album via link, there are dropdown at the top to change sorting (I want alphabetical descending), but when I am logged in, the browser-view does not have that. It seems to be sorted alphabetical reverse, I need it the other way round.

Thanks in advance

Sorry no idea. But i think that is not a photo album but a file sorting feature.

No, in the file view (/index.php/apps/files/) I can sort however I like. As I can in a shared folder (/index.php/s/), but not in an album view (/index.php/apps/photos/albums) in photo app. That problem is exclusive to photo app album view from inside the web-backend as far as I can tellā€¦

I think the problem is that it uses remote.php/dav (that is ugly). Why does it use WebDAV features?

I just tested this ā€œhackā€ in nextcloud 19, it doesnt work. It seems it does not get the correct url for the webdav to show the previews.
Do i need to do anything after fetching the updated purify script ? maybe rebuild js or something similar ?