[Discussion] New Photo App in Nextcloud 18

Being new to all this, just installed nextcloud via my unraid docker, is this something that will work on my system? How exactly do I install this? Total nubie here.

Log in as your Nextcloud administrator and select Apps from the menu that pops up when you click your profile image/symbol in the top right corner.

The Photo app is among all the apps - itā€™s most likely already installed, but you may have to activate it.

Then click the photo app icon in your top left menu/toolbar.

That should be it.

If it looks good to you, then youā€™re good to go.

And if you want to check out the old Gallery app, just follow the instructions in this post.

The old and the new apps can co-exist.

Welcome to Nextcloud :smiley:

Quick follow up question. Is there a way to sort the photos by filename in the current photos app? I donā€™t see any sorting options. Perhaps editing of a file to set sort? My files are named by date and even though in a browser on my drive, they sort properly, in nextcloud they do not.

Hehe, welcome to the frustrated crowd.

I recommend you check out the old Gallery app, and see if that doesnā€™t suit you better?

It can sort by name and date, and essentially for me; it can show pictures from external storage.

The instructions in the post I linked to worked fine for me.

I really with they would have invested their efforts into improving the old Gallery app and added features to that, instead of starting from scratch with the new Photos app :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Hello guys.
Iā€™ve got question. One of the thing i love about google photos, is that i may create album, and choose what photos i may put there. So there is ALBUM NAME with photos (from many directories where i uploaded them) that i choose.
Is there any way of doing that with Photos app or Gallery app?
I saw ā€œAlbumsā€ in Photos app (NC19), but those are just directories with photos inside. I would like to make an Album (not directory!), and choose what photos should be inside, and then share such album with family. Is it possible with NC?

1 Like

I think you need a sharing function through the nextcloud tagging feature. I think it does not exist.

https://github.com/nextcloud/server/issues/1274

https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/latest/user_manual/files/access_webgui.html

Hi there,
one question: how can I change how photos in album view are sorted?

When I share a album via link, there are dropdown at the top to change sorting (I want alphabetical descending), but when I am logged in, the browser-view does not have that. It seems to be sorted alphabetical reverse, I need it the other way round.

Thanks in advance

Sorry no idea. But i think that is not a photo album but a file sorting feature.

No, in the file view (/index.php/apps/files/) I can sort however I like. As I can in a shared folder (/index.php/s/), but not in an album view (/index.php/apps/photos/albums) in photo app. That problem is exclusive to photo app album view from inside the web-backend as far as I can tellā€¦

I think the problem is that it uses remote.php/dav (that is ugly). Why does it use WebDAV features?

I just tested this ā€œhackā€ in nextcloud 19, it doesnt work. It seems it does not get the correct url for the webdav to show the previews.
Do i need to do anything after fetching the updated purify script ? maybe rebuild js or something similar ?

Tonny. I just tried it in NC19 and it worked for me. Iā€™m running NC19.0.1 in a LinuxServer Docker container.

I am not sure what to say, but it simply doesnā€™t work with the following factors/parameters

nextcloud 18.0.4
external storage: s3
thousands of files
browsing ā€œyour albumsā€

Everything is slow, clicking on a photo only after many seconds tries to open the black ā€œlargeā€ canvas on which youā€™d expect the photo, but the webserver is so overwhelmed that the Kubernetes liveness and readiness probes kick in.

This thing really needs to temper itā€™s server resource usage

just increased NC max-version in the quickfix

-> NC 19.0.1 with old gallery app :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree. I havenā€™t used the app much, but it is anyway practically not usable. I have e.g. tried to figure out how to add new albums and had no success. I just sit there and see the photos and canā€™t share them with others, because they are all there in one album/folder.
Right click doesnā€™t help, I get only the browserā€™s context menu. There is no circled ā€œ+ā€ anywhere, and no menu indicator. Itā€™s claimed to be a fantastic tool, Iā€™m yet to figure out how this becomes usable.

1 Like

So updated howto:
/apps/gallery/js/vendor/dompurify/src/purify.js
has to be replaced by
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/cure53/DOMPurify/1.0.11/dist/purify.js

And
/var/www/nextcloud/apps/gallery/appinfo/info.xml
bump that max-version to 666 or something suitable
and then
sudo -u www-data php /var/www/nextcloud/occ app:enable gallery

1 Like

Seeing as the gallery app is no longer maintainedā€¦ who is handling security issues for it?

Might be a good idea to stick with the photos app for that reason alone.

1 Like

This might be done via - photos tagged with a keyword (album name) might be grouped together.

Thank You. I will try that.
EDIT: ok i added tag to few photos, but i canā€™t find way to share that. How can i do that?
Also, is there any way to add many photos by selecting them for example? I also didnā€™t find it possible.

Hi Georg-Git, where would the Nextcloud root directory be in an Snap installation on Ubuntu 18.04?