- Here is the pull request
- It has been in the works for three years already.
- None of your 32-bit devices will stop working overnight.
Stay cool. Of course you can still install Nextcloud on your old device, but…
understand that development will focus on 64bit architecture specifically.
- Older devices have a number of limitations since they were designed before today’s common technologies, such as gigabit lan or USB 3.0. More info at Why is my Pi 3, and older, so slow?
This is not a surprising event. We’ve been discussing it since 2020 when Nextcloud 20 was released and no longer supported 32-bit architecture for the Matterbridge Talk app, the News app, and more. It has proven inevitable and we continue to ride it out for as long as we can, but make the hardware upgrade if you’ve been using this project for 6 years. Read on for more info and much love to you!
The developer is still on a 32-bit device, so there is that.
Do expect this to change moving forward since only a few people are still expressing interest in 32-bit.
You can also use the standard curl installation script on your 32-bit device to setup NextcloudPi.
Check our list of Does my device support arm64.
- Please edit and update it if you have a device to add.
- Determine for yourself with Why am I stuck on armhf and not on arm64?
If your device architecture supports arm64, but you installed 32-bit arm, you can follow this guide to migrate
Remember that none of your 32-bit devices will stop working overnight.
As time goes one it simply means we will continue to encounter more and more unresolved issues and incompatibilities.
Nextcloud has always been a complex project, so let’s be thankful to the team, Nacho and now Tobias for giving all of their support over the years.
If you are worried, consider upgrading your device. Even the Pi 4 is four years old as of 2022.
- 64-bit all the way.
- I’m using a 32-bit installation, but my device supports 64-bit.
- I’m currently stuck on a 32-bit device.