32_bits images wil no longer be generated, but RPi2/1/0 and other 32_bit SBC’s can still try the the curl installer although big uploads will not work and are no longer supported on 32_bits. So moving to 64_bits hardware is no longer just recommended, it is a must if you want to be running NCP for the coming years.
You certainly can! The latest Pi models will have better performance, but has a few downsides as nicely described in What’s Wrong with the Raspberry Pi. If you want to learn more about rpi’s power requirements, this article will be of use.
- Pi4 2/3/8Gb should be fine
- Pi 3b+ is a decent choice with gigabit networking, but there are better options!
- Pi 2B works just okay. But is 32_bit
- Pi 3 works slightly better than the 2 model.
- Pi 1 and Zero had very low performance, and are no longer supported.
The best ARM device is not a Raspberry Pi! Surprise! It is a great device, but competition is heavy these days.
For price vs. performance the most popular NextcloudPi ARM Devices are:
- Rock64 – same price as the Raspberry Pi 3b
- ODROID HC-1 – 2.5" Hard Disk support for $49.00
- ODROID HC-2 – 3.5" Hard Disk support for $55.00