Should I use a Raspberry Pi?

This Document is out of date

Please help edit and expand this article @NCP_Wiki_Team (or whoever is reading this)
New 64_bits images have been created for a number of SBC’s not listed below.

32_bits images wil no longer be generated, but RPi2/1/0 and other 32_bit SBC’s can still try the the curl installer although big uploads will not work and are no longer supported on 32_bits. So moving to 64_bits hardware is no longer just recommended, it is a must if you want to be running NCP for the coming years.

Hi, I’m looking to use NextcloudPi; should I use a Raspberry Pi?

You certainly can! The latest Pi models will have better performance, but has a few downsides as nicely described in What’s Wrong with the Raspberry Pi. If you want to learn more about rpi’s power requirements, this article will be of use.

• Pi4 2/3/8Gb should be fine
  • Pi 3b+ is a decent choice with gigabit networking, but there are better options!
  • Pi 2B works just okay. But is 32_bit
  • Pi 3 works slightly better than the 2 model.
  • Pi 1 and Zero had very low performance, and are no longer supported.

Best ARM Device for NextcloudPi

The best ARM device is not a Raspberry Pi! Surprise! It is a great device, but competition is heavy these days.

For price vs. performance the most popular NextcloudPi ARM Devices are:

• Rock64 – same price as the Raspberry Pi 3b
  • ODROID HC-1 – 2.5" Hard Disk support for $49.00
  • ODROID HC-2 – 3.5" Hard Disk support for $55.00

If you have further questions, be sure to ask on our Telegram chat or Community Forum. There are tons of other options available, which you can read about here.

About the Author

This article was worked on by @just. Thank you so much for all you do! You may write your own articles by joining our wiki and documentation team on the forum.