To contribute to Nextcloud you must give away all your data to Microsoft first

Well “meta” seems to be the perfect matching category for this.

Has no one ever wondered? To participate in Nextcloud everybody is forced to register a Microsoft (GitHub) account first?

I’ve written some questions, bug reports and feature request here in the community forum the last couple of days. And always - more or less friendly - forced to write it on GitHub. If so, what is the point of this community forum when even discussions are led on GitHub?

And yes, we’re talking about the same Nextcloud that was campaigning a few days ago alongside with IONOS against US based companies affected by the CLOUD Act.

Sorry, but I do not have a Microsoft account. And also no Google- or Facebook- or LinkedIn- or Amazon Business-Account. And I won’t have one.

As solution I was recommended to use a fake email address. Great! But this guy completly missed the point. It’s not about the email. It’s about collecting behavioral data over a period of time.

Read Shoshana Zuboff’s book about Surveillance Capitalism! Then you would know how companies like MIcrosoft try to know everything, with whom I shared my thoughts, on what. Which projects and which software I use. They know my customers when they are connecting and sharing same repositories from their fixed IP addresses. Yes, Microsoft even knows when I get up in the morning and do my first checkout, or when I finish my day and do my last commit. Over weeks, months and years this is a amazing collection of data where even the gaps of no data are telling a story. Was this a vacation? a conference? or is somebody just fired?

@frank if you read this here, please consider your policy on this.
Now with IONOS as a partner, it should be easy to change your infrastructure and make your business truly open and independend from the US centric surveillance companies.

well i recommended you to look for the fitting thread in this forum (as i knew there was one and as i found out you have been taken part in it, already) you seem to slightly unable to cope with it…

so here it is… with some interesting statements of nc regarding at least near future of nc-development.

well having teamed up with some big german hoster apparently doesn’t mean a thing as it seems to be neccessary to build a development-environment first which (maybe) could be hosted there.
PLUS: because it’s a germany based company everything will be good? they won’t grab all of your data from you just because they are located in germany? LOL.

• bug reports belong to github. by logic. and by definition.
  • feature requests? sure you can post them here. but usually developpers are quite busy to find them here. though they do look here from time to time. but experience shows that they get attention faster if they are posted at github
  • questions? discussions? ya. please do so. and if a question would lead to a bug/issue it will go to github.

you definitly should work on a linuxmachine. :wink:

1 Like

There are no dedicated community repositories, everything is open and managed by Nextcloud GmBH. When github was acquired by Microsoft there was a longer thread here to move from grithub (a few independent apps use other repositories):

Unfortunately, the main developers and the company people are rarely on the forum to discuss this properly. You probably can reach them per Mail or at Hackathons or NC conferences in person.

Another problem could be that once the development is open, all your contributions will be visible and anyone could analyse them. Well, for a company that worries so much about your data and you can keep them safe and fully control them, it’s strange to have a different strategy for their development :wink:

also a bit related: Why does Nextcloud use GitHub and not have a GitLab instance?