To contribute to Nextcloud you must give away all your data to Microsoft first

Yes. In case Nextcloud would move to a self-hosted solution I would suggest to enable something like Login with GitHub to make it easy for everyone to contribute. It seems still possible to create a local account on that instance without using GitHub.

Surveillance is hardly a capitalist attribute. Other forms of society engage in much deeper surveillance. Many non-capitalist countries in the world even outlaw encryption.

Or you could always go at it from the other direction: enable federated Nextcloud login on private GitHubs. :grin:

2 Likes

Oh dear, you should rethink this sentence and read Shoshana Zuboff, Harvard Business School, ā€œThe Age of surveilance capitalismā€.

No need to rethink it; as I said, there is surveillance ingrained to a much greater extent in non-capitalist systems. Thatā€™s not to say it isnā€™t a problem (I will openly say plenty about Google for instance), and I agree that a decentralized form of authentication at large would be beneficial, though it does come with its own hurdles and problems.

1 Like

Pioneered by the Five Eyes member Australia

Long before some non-capitalist countries learned what encryption meansā€¦:slight_smile: