The Great Nextcloud Box Topic

I thought it’d be useful to have a single thread about the Nextcloud Box with questions and answers and troubleshooting!

So here goes: ask below.

Note that you can get a LOT of information, how-to’s, tips and tricks here:

3 Likes

I would recoommend to also think about supporting Let’s Encrypt in a way that resembles the ease of use the Box .

3 Likes

How should it work @devilz? Through an app instead of what we currently offer via the command line?

Yes, I think, the users that Nextcloud Box wants to address, would find it helpful to have a little app to assist them.

2 Likes

I want to buy a Nextcloud Box but from the images I can’t understand if the ethernet port of the raspberry pi is accessible from outside the box…This is an important feature for me since i want to connect it directly to the modem through an ethernet cable.

Thank you very much.

Hi - I think there is no doubt the port is accessible, as with the PI2 this is the main and only usable network connection, if you don’t use an USB WiFi stick.

regards

I agree that this is the only usable network port but from the picture https://nextcloud.com/wp-content/themes/next/assets/img/pidrive/guide.png?1c8e0a it is not so clear that it can be accessed easily…

It is accessible from the outside

Is there a download for the img which is on the sd?

1 Like

Boot Failure - "Failed to start load kernal module"
I was still in testing, would be easier to start over than fix. Can’t find image for sd card.

1 Like

Its accessable but not directly… ergo… to plug in the ethernet, you just pop off the magnetically held top of the box… the connector is inside the enclosure

Updated ubuntu using login/password ubuntu/ubuntu from command line. It now boots, but consistently getting errors in next cloud:

Exception: {“Exception”:“Doctrine\DBAL\Exception\DriverException”,“Message”:“An exception occurred while executing ‘SELECT uid, displayname FROM oc_users WHERE LOWER(uid) = LOWER(?)’ with params [“Admin”]:\n\nSQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 2006 MySQL server has gone away”,“Code”:0,“Trace”:"#0 /snap/nextcloud/70/htdocs/3rdparty/doctrine/dbal/lib/Doctrine/DBAL/DBALException.php(116): Doctrine\DBAL\Driver\AbstractMySQLDriver->convertException(‘An exception oc…’, Object(Doctrine\DBAL\Driver\PDOException))\n#1 /snap/nextcloud/70/htdocs/3rdparty/doctrine/dbal/lib/Doctrine/DBAL/Statement.php(174): Doctrine\DBAL\DBALException::driverExceptionDuringQuery(Object(Doctrine\DBAL\Driver\PDOMySql\Driver), Object(Doctrine\DBAL\Driver\PDOException), ‘SELECT uid, `…’, Array)\n#2 /snap/nextcloud/70/htdocs/lib/private/db/statementwrapper.php(73): Doctrine\DBAL\Statement->execute(Array)\n#3 /snap/nextcloud/70/htdocs/lib/private/user/database.php(228): OC_DB_StatementWrapper->execute(Array)\n#4 /snap/nextcloud/70/htdocs/lib/private/user/database.php(275): OC_User_Database->loadUser(‘Admin’)\n#5 /snap/nextcloud/70/htdocs/lib/private/user/manager.php(138): OC_User_Database->userExists(‘Admin’)\n#6 /snap/nextcloud/70/htdocs/lib/private/user/session.php(159): OC\User\Manager->get(‘Admin’)\n#7 /snap/nextcloud/70/htdocs/lib/private/l10n/factory.php(131): OC\User\Session->getUser()\n#8 /snap/nextcloud/70/htdocs/lib/private/legacy/l10n.php(312): OC\L10N\Factory->findLanguage(‘search’)\n#9 /snap/nextcloud/70/htdocs/lib/private/util.php(500): OC_L10N::findLanguage(‘search’)\n#10 /snap/nextcloud/70/htdocs/lib/private/util.php(473): OC_Util::addTranslations(‘search’)\n#11 /snap/nextcloud/70/htdocs/lib/private/template.php(133): OC_Util::addScript(‘search’, ‘search’, true)\n#12 /snap/nextcloud/70/htdocs/lib/private/template.php(71): OC_Template::initTemplateEngine(‘error’)\n#13 /snap/nextcloud/70/htdocs/lib/private/template.php(339): OC_Template->__construct(’’, ‘exception’, ‘error’, false)\n#14 /snap/nextcloud/70/htdocs/index.php(55): OC_Template::printExceptionErrorPage(Object(Doctrine\DBAL\Exception\DriverException))\n#15 {main}",“File”:"/snap/nextcloud/70/htdocs/3rdparty/doctrine/dbal/lib/Doctrine/DBAL/Driver/AbstractMySQLDriver.php",“Line”:115}"

I would like to know if I wipe the hard drive and then start up will it do a clean install and be fresh again…or did the HDD that shipped with already have special formatting and or data on it.

Thank you very much! =)

Unrelated. It’s just MySQL crashing because it runs out of memory.

Plug the HD into another computer, wipe it, put it back in the Box, boot.
The HD will be partitioned on first boot (the reason it takes 10 minutes to boot the first time)

1 Like

Removed and posted with “quote” reply below.

I went ahead and wiped the hard drive after continued multiple errors and then no boot. It will not reinstall. Can you tell me how the hdd drive should be partitioned for auto install when started?

Error: /dev/sda2 does not exist

It could be that your hard drive is still partitioned? When I did it here, it just worked after I had formatted it from my laptop. Also, try to plug the HD in another USB port.

And to debug these issues, it really helps to connect the box to a TV to see what’s going on.

Are there some instructions on setting up let’s encrypt on the next cloud box? A link would be appreciated.

Hi guys,

I already have a WDLabs PiDrive (just not the 1TB version) … is the SD-Image used in the nextcloud-box available for download somewhere - to use with existing hardware (just without the nice enclosure)?
And if yes, would the system even be working with a smaller PiDrive?

any hints appreciated.
cheers