The Great Nextcloud Box Topic

if I buy a Raspberry pi 3 now, is there a downloadable img for the sd card or any instructions on how to get nextcloud up and running? while waiting for the nextcloud box backorder to ship…

Nextcloud Box is not yet certified yet to work with the RPi 3, but from what I know this is bound to happen in 2016.

according to the nextcloud twitter handle one has to wait for general Ubuntu Core - well ok, it is available as beta, so would be nice to know if there is any way in running the beta version on RPi3 and nextcloud on top of that. or what are the options if one is interested in starting up a nextcloud instance before the actual nextcloud box arrives in the mail?

The image is not available for download yet. You only get it with a Nextcloud Box. A smaller HD is fine.

The image for the Pi3 will be available in November, but we’re also working on and hoping to support more powerful hardware

There is currently no tool available to build a Core image which supports split partitioning across 2 devices. I will let you know as soon as we have something.

I’m looking forward to this, though slightly concerned by the 10/100 port on the Pi causing me a bottleneck. It won’t be an issue from outside, but I do a lot of uploading at home when I get on WIFI.

Is the image being kept secret intentionally, or is it just no one has decided to release it yet?

Also perhaps more of a generic snap question, but how are NC updates handled?

RaspberryPi 3 is considering moving to 64 bit Raspbian OS compatible with a 2 GB RAM. The existing 1GB seems not compatible with 64bit version and it is much slower. Perhaps before the end of the year ?..

Single user uploading works fine. Multiple concurrent connections can be a problem on the Pi2.

It’s just about getting the rights to distribute it. It should all be sorted out by November when a new image will be released.

We package new features or new releases into snaps which are automatically pushed to your device. Being able to control the environment makes it easier to update, but we do need testers of the beta and edge channels to make sure nothing breaks.

We also made the decision to push upgrades to the stable channel a month after their official release, to give use time to find issues.

That would be awesome as it would be a plug-an-play replacement for the Pi2, but I really want the Odroid C2 to work on Ubuntu Core, so if anybody has contacts at Hardkernel or wants to help snap the kernel, etc. please get in touch.

1 Like

A further question, I just saw this from Canonical:

So is it a Nextcloud box, or a snap box? Who decides what snaps go on there if Canonical are effectively telling us they’re putting rocket.chat on there without permission from the box owner?

I’m interested in the arrangement of the partnership if they can decide what and when gets pushed to the box.

I’m not concerned or agitated by this, it’s just piqued my interest.

OK, so basically, your Box comes with Ubuntu Snappy which can run any Snaps you want.

You’re in control of what gets installed, with the exception of the Nextcloud and soon, Snapweb (a GUI to manage Snaps) Snaps if you buy a Box from us.
Both can easily be de-installed. It’s your Box.

Rocket.chat has pushed their app to the store.
I’ve pushed a Spreed snap to the store so that people can do encrypted video chats (Ubuntu will do a blog about it soon)
And I’ve also pushed a beta snap of Transmission so that you can use the box as a Bittorrent seedbox if you want to. It needs to be installed via the command line though…

More Snaps should be offered soon by people wanting to target the Box or just IoT hardware in general.

2 Likes

Ok so they mean in their post that the rocket.chat app is available to be installed, rather than forced on all NCB owners.

That’s fine, wonderful even (more apps!). I’m not keen on the wording they’ve used to suggest they can just install things but that’s clearly not the case so no issue.

:slight_smile:

It routes nicely out the same hole the usb power comes out, looks nice with all the cords on one side out the back.

pictures or it didn’t happen :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

. also note the holes, I imagine a 90 degree Ethernet may work, and room for gpio Ribbin cord out the bottom.

also the case is semi transparent, just enough for activity lights to show through.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Is it possible to use the raspi for multible uses, like running Kodi and connect to your home TV, or will this compromise functionality or security of your next cloud set up?

• Kris

Snappy core is a command line server-based OS, so plugging it into the TV won’t offer much more than a blinking cursor :slight_smile:

@jasonBayton is right but you can install snaps which offer such functionality. Not sure if they exist yet.

Based on searches I did earlier if they do, they’re not popular enough to show up at the top of Google search :slight_smile: