Secure Outlook add-in is now available for testing in free-as-in-beer version

@Rene_Hillebrand it is on the todo list to add localization for the inserted snippets :slight_smile:

@oskarma yes, Dutch and German should work as well. However other standard language settings may cause an issue.

2 Likes

i make some changes, so i have it in Czech language (changed json file in translation), but my main problem is, if There will be enterprise version which i can use without supportā€¦ as owncloud plugin, so pay only for single use license??

Is there a possibility to send the password via another channel than the email with the link? If the only way to send the password is via the e-mail itself, I do not see that this add-in is secure.

Cheers, Dela

@javorcak this is a decision for now made with Nextcloud.

@delavandaag For now no. Which other channels would you have in mind? Follow up text message?

Well, any channel other than the same e-mail. Like SMS, WhatsApp, phone, (snail)mail. Preferrably not by e-mail and certainly not with the same e-mail containing the download link. Whatā€™s the use of a password in the latter situation? If someone intercepts that e-mail, there is no (significant) difference from a security or integrity point of view with an e-mail to which the document is attached. Is there?

1 Like

I would like to support the suggestion of delavandaag. When sharing a link directly from Nextcloud it is possible to send the password in a separate mail to the sender. This function would be very useful for the plugin

Hello,

while I can unterstand the goal of ferl31 (and delavandaag), I donā€™t think that sending the password in a separete e-mail is more secure.
When somebody is able to intercept and read the first e-mail with the link, he/she/it will also be able to intercept the second e-mail with the password.
So the solution suggested by delavandaag to use a complete different (encrypted!) channel would be a helpful way. But to implement this feature means a lot of effort for sureā€¦

Iā€™m still happy and grateful for the current solution ( @usselite : thanks again! :slightly_smiling_face:) and if it is possible to implement improvements (maybe sponsored by a company that wantā€™s to use the paid version and sponsors the ā€œsecure channel featureā€?!), I wonā€™t cry :wink:

Kind regards,

I agree with blu-IT on the effort it would take to have a third party like WhatsApp or telcompanies to cooperate. But how about creating the possibility to use a certain password for a certain addressee and send that password manually through another channel. That password would need to be reused - preferably automated by recognition by the software of the addresseeā€™s e-mail address - each time you send a link to that same addressee. The reuse of a password is less secure but is more practical than sending a password each time if you regularly send links to that certain addressee and certainly more secure than sending the password in the e-mail with the link. And you could change the password from time to time.

As I am not a very good coder I am not sure whether this would be very difficult to implement. What would be needed is the possibility to have the password not shown in the e-mail with the link/to delete the password from that e-mail. Creating an automatic link between the password and the addressee may be more difficult. As an alternative the possibility could be created to chose your own password (and keep record of it manually) for the link.

You could ask the user if he wants to send the password with the same mail and if he declines, show an extra popup window with the password. The user can then copy it to whereever he wants to store/transmit it by simply copying to Whatsapp/Telegram/SMS/Office document (for snail mail)/whatever for transmission.

1 Like

Hi, usselite.
Installed plugin x32 on Outlook 2013. And got a bug: my win locale is ru-RU, so your vsto crashes on startup form with exception about ā€œelement is not in rangeā€ or something like this.
I hacked it :slight_smile: by adding .json with my locale in Translation folder.
Please, fix it. And we all awaiting for new version.
Many thanks for plugin and exuses or my poor english.

@delavandaag, @ferl31 youā€™re right about that from a security point of view.
It is fair to say though that the (same?) mailbox cannot be considered secure.

@blu-IT PGP could be an option. There are some practical issues for that as well though.

@delavandaag a fixated password could be done, however this can be problematic when the receiving party ā€˜losesā€™ the fixated password if that makes sense (forgets it and such).

Maybe the easiest solution for now is doing as @alfred suggest. Small pop-up box (if wanted) where you can copy the password to manually send it through other services?

@Serg_Beaf_ten Thank you for reporting that. Thatā€™s one other way to get around that bug. It has to do with finding the local language and falling back to english in case thereā€™s no available JSON (this got broken). Will be fixed :slight_smile:

Yes, I agree.

Yeah, well then the addressee could contact me to request for a new password. An automatically recognized password on the basis of an email address - with the possibility to create a new one from time to time or if the addressee has lost its password - would be very user friendly. And we all know that user friendly is quite important for motivating users to use security measures.

Hi ,
Installed plugin x64 on outlook 2013 , windows 7 , Language : Hong Kong Chinese , the Add-in canā€™t use ! The Nextcloud menu no show in the Outlook.And checked the developer tab , it had mssphtb.dll in the ā€œDisabled itemsā€ and after Enable it , it 's disappear in the ā€œDisabled itemsā€, but still nothing in the ā€œCOM add-insā€ !!

Hi ,
Installed plugin x86 on outlook 2007 , windows 7 , Language : Chinese , the Add-in canā€™t use ! The Nextcloud menu no show in the Outlook.And checked the developer tab , it had mssphtb.dll in the ā€œDisabled itemsā€ and after Enable it , it 's disappear in the ā€œDisabled itemsā€, but still nothing in the ā€œCOM add-insā€ !!

@nova168168 x86 or x64 relates to 32 or 64 bits Office. Please make sure you install the related add-in for your Office version.

@wo_hayado Can you check the registry? Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\NextcloudOutlook and set SetLanguage to EN?

The localization bug is now fixed. It falls back to English when no translations are available. Currently some Enterprise customers are testing it. I am going the builds here as well later today.

I check the registry, NO ā€˜HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\NextcloudOutlookā€™ in the registry

Sorry , I installed the wrong version. After I install the right version , I can see the menu on the send email screen , but nothing is working when I click the upload share files button or share public folder !

@nova168168 Please do this; Change the registry key; Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\NextcloudOutlook and set SetLanguage to EN.

@wo_hayado what does the COM Add-ins dialog say below C:\Program Files (x86)\Nextcloud Outlookā€¦?

C:\Program Files (x86)\Nextcloud Outlook\Nextcloud.vsto|vstolocal