Secure Outlook add-in is now available for testing in free-as-in-beer version

Originally published at: https://nextcloud.com/blog/secure-outlook-add-in-is-now-available-for-testing-in-free-as-in-beer-version/

Last month, we announced the 2.0 version of our Outlook Add-in including branding options, high DPI support and guidance for first-time users as major features. Right now, our Add-in is only available to enterprise users. We realize this leaves out home users and small enterprises. Nextcloud strives to provide private cloud solution for everyone so, in that light, we worked with our partner to provide a free version of the add-in for home. Note that the free version is only meant for home users and small organizations. It is now available for testing!

Get the free Outlook Add-in

This free version introduces some new features. The enterprise edition to be released soon will have all these features and many more:

• You can now pause an upload
  • The design has been improved to be closer to the Nextcloud design
  • You can use a centralized configuration parameter for Nextcloud Server URL.

Core capabilities on the menu

The Add-in features the core capabilities: sharing from your Nextcloud instance instead of sending insecure large attachments. Small companies and organizations can now download it and test it from here. Let us know how it worked for you! And for open source enthusiasts, the free and Open Source Thunderbird add-in allows the same!

Free/Premium Outlook Add-In features comparison

Free version Enterprise version
Upload large files on your Nextcloud server āœ” āœ”
Pausing an upload āœ” āœ”
Automatically upload an attachment on your Nextcloud āŒ āœ”
Shared link custom password āŒ āœ”
Expiration date āœ” āœ”
Custom look for shared links via HTML āŒ āœ”
Branding āŒ āœ”

You can ask questions and discuss the client in the new Mail client integration category on our forums!

6 Likes

Awesome that you made it available for everybody. I already installed this Add-in and tried it: unfortunately it always says
"Please check URL, username and password."

Where can we get support for this Add-in, should we ask in this forum or is there some place on github (to create and track issues)?

1 Like

This is awesome! I just want to point out a typo with this (should be ā€œthereforeā€):

Source: Therefore vs. Therefor | Grammarly Blog

Also, can we trust this plugin, since itā€™s not open source? It would be a real shame if the plugin author was stealing private informationā€¦

3 Likes

Yes, thanks for making the add-in public!

I also installed the add-in with Outlook 2010 and I can see now two icons in the menu bar when composing new e-mail (Upload for files and public sharing of folders).

But

1. no content inside the e-mail, like a link, an explanation text or something else is create
  2. An upload-folder ā€œoutlookā€ is created inside nextcloud, but no content is shown, but the add-in said before, that the file was uploaded

So I think some further testing will be helpful :wink:

Regards

1 Like

I am the author of the add-in, and ready to help you out :slight_smile:

@Schmu can you send me a PM with information like if you use a proxy, 2 factor authentication or possibly LDAP?

@linucksrox Typo will be fixed in the next release, thank you :slight_smile: Weā€™re not interested in going after private information, the add-in only contacts your Nextcloud server, at no point it contacts anything else.

@blu-IT Can you send me a PM with: if youā€™re using 32 or 64 bits Office / Windows and perhaps tell me if you use certain share policies on the server (password, expiration date and so).

Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks, I was just thinking about that although I donā€™t suspect any malicious behavior. Just something to keep in mind for the paranoid, not having the ability to audit the code. :slight_smile: I appreciate you making this free version!

I think this will be super handy, and Iā€™m evaluating it to see if we can use it at my work (about 40 people).

1 Like

same here. i use the nextcloud vm with LDAP for authentication. the local ncadmin not working too with the addin.

@usselite
Wonderful News !
Iā€™m gonna give it a try.

LDAP is not supported at the moment.

Besides the fact, that Iā€™m a little bit disappointed, that the auto-upload feature is reserved for Enterprise users only (to me, this is the key feature of such an add-on) and the fact, that the upload folder seems not customize able, I have to thank you for the free release of this add-on.

Please let me drag your attention on some minor issues with the German translation of the add-on dialog:

1.) Heading is too long for the dialog. Maybe itā€™s worth choosing a smaller font-size here.

2.) ā€œClick on ā€˜Filesā€™ to choose files for uploadā€. Besides the wording itself, the referred button is actually not labeled ā€˜Filesā€™ (but ā€œChoose files for uploadā€). Thatā€™s a bit misleading.

3.) The actual label of the ā€œFilesā€ button is way too long for it as well.

Edit:
4.) Found a fourth issue with the German text: ā€œMit diesem Dialod kƶnnen Sie (groƟe) Dateien auf ihrem sicheren Nextcloud Serverā€¦ā€ should be grammatically changed to ā€œā€¦Dateien auf ihren sicheren Nextcloud Serverā€¦ā€. :wink:

Hi,

Not working for me (Outlook 2016 MSO 16.0.8229.2073 32 bits).

I see the addin buttons on the mail, I am correctly connected, but ā€œAdvancedā€ button donā€™t do anything, neither ā€œshare public folderā€ā€¦ and there is no ā€œShare fileā€ button in the Nextcloud addin tab.

Regards.

@klorydryk Can you send me a PM if you use Windows 32 or 64 bits and possibly some screenshots?

@RiSK How would you like to see ideally the way you can customize the upload folders? I am open for suggestions :slight_smile:
Yes font sizes need to be changed in some occassions or the translations need to be shortened. Thank you for (4), ill change it right away in the translation file.

Well, I have tested the ownCloud outlook add-on a while ago and there you can specify the upload folder during the initial setup of the account. And as far as I know, you are also able to change that folder later on. This appears to be a good solution for me.

1 Like

What is the issue? For Authenticating at Nextcloud it does not matter where the users are.

Or is it rather a client side issue, about not having the need to provide the credentials?

@RiSK I will add this feauture request to the to-do list :slight_smile:

@blizzz Could you send me a PM (I canā€™t due new account)? I do have some questions about LDAP / AD support and how it works in the back-end. Thanks!

1 Like

Lovely! Thanks for that.

1 Like

:clap: thank you for this

2 Likes

I just want to throw this out there: I had no problems in my brief testing yesterday. We are running NC 11.0.3, using LDAP against AD, and my test machine was Windows 8.1 64 bit, running Outlook 2016 32 bit, running the 32 bit version of the addin. No problems on my end using an AD account for testing.

3 Likes

I found a screenshot on another topic here showing the way the filelink add-on for Thunderbird handles things. Itā€™s pretty similar to how the owncloud outlook add-on does it:

Where do I find the source code? ā€œNextcloud does 100% Open Sourceā€ thats why I am thinking to come over from ownCloud.