Second beta of Nextcloud 26

The second beta of Nextcloud 26 is now available on our download server! :rocket:

As always, help with testing is very much welcome!
If you notice anything out of order, please report back on the appropriate github repository! :bowing_woman:

:elephant: PHP 8.2 is supported as of this pre-release and we appreciate testing :slight_smile:

Downloads

Changelog

3 Likes

So, who wishes to engage ChatGPT to write us a fictitious press release? :wink:

Or better, who gets the best press release written? The best head line?

2 Likes

Happy to see Nextcloud now supports PHP 8.2. I’m currently on PHP 7.4. A few months ago I upgraded to PHP 8.2 which broke NC 25 so had to revert back.

Question is do I need to upgrade to PHP 8.2 first before applying the NC 26 upgrade?

1 Like

No, it is optional. You can upgrade to an earlier supported 8.x release than 8.2

Update from Beta1:

Check for expected files
The following extra files have been found:

webpack.config.js
cypress.config.ts
tsconfig.json
cypress

Deleted, Update continued (cypress is a directory)

1 Like

@Palerm
I ran into same thing, after upgrade those file are back again.

@jospoortvliet hey… you’re in a joking mood today? :smiley:
ChatGPT only knows NC 20 as the latest version so far.

But anyways… here’s what ChatGPT came up with, though (add ons and comments by me in italics)

+++PRESS RELEASE+++

Dear valued Nextcloud users,

We are proud to announce the release of the latest version of Nextcloud, Nextcloud 26. With this release, we have listened to your feedback and worked hard to bring you the latest and greatest in secure, self-hosted file sharing and collaboration. [I have read that before, somehow :thinking: ]

Here are five new features that we are excited to introduce in Nextcloud 26:

• Enhanced User Experience: A new, modern user interface that is easier to navigate and use, with improved performance and accessibility. [definitly read before. Last time for NC 25]

• Advanced Security Measures: New security features to keep your data safe, such as end-to-end encryption and two-factor authentication [with E2E really working now]

• Collaboration Made Easy: A set of new collaboration tools, including real-time document editing, video and audio conferencing, and task management, to make it easier for teams to work together. [that sounds like us, we already have acchieved that, e.g. NC office, etc]

• Increased Integration: Improved integration with other platforms and tools, such as Microsoft Office and Google Drive, to make it easier to work with your existing workflow. [check]

• Scalability: Improved scalability and performance, allowing Nextcloud to support large, complex installations with ease. [clear throat]

We believe that these new features will bring Nextcloud to the next level, and make it easier for you to work with your data, whether you’re working alone or with a team. If you have any questions or feedback, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.

Thank you for your continued support of Nextcloud. We look forward to bringing you even more great features in the future. [The Machine has read some of our older Press Releases, I’m sure :smiley: ]

Best regards,
The Nextcloud Team

+++ END +++

BTW, I’d put it under the following headline:
Something old, something new but everything still in blue: Welcome Nextcloud 26

What a funny idea, Jos. I was just cracking myself up a bit… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Good catch. This will be fixed in packaging for beta 3 (but that means you will encounter it once more when upgrading from beta2 to beta3).

1 Like

ChatGPT vs @jospoortvliet

Your are mor relevant that ChatGPT! So you will win! :slight_smile:

1 Like

What are the key changes, please…?

Gonna test it tomorrow…

btw: thanks!

My Debian 11 won’t let me upgrade to PHP 8.0 or 8.1 which is what NC 25 supports. I’ll try upgrading it to NC 26 leaving PHP 7.4 in place. Then upgrade to 8.2.

Debian 10.13
Plesk Obsidian
Version 18.0.49

Tested with PHP 8.2, SQLite and MySQL: Working good
Tested the App “Text”: Working good but not possible to share link whats “Download Hided”. But already same issue in 25.03

Can i use the beta for Live ? Possible to update with this on next Beta? And possible to upgrade latest stable with this beta?

ps: ich kann auch auf Deutsch schreiben wenn mein English nicht zu verstehen ist.

As this is the international part of the forum it would be nice if you’d stick with English. I don’t think there are any understanding problems.

Schould be no Problem for me, I know where to go :slight_smile: thanks

Php 7.4 was deprecated so first figure out how to install current 25.x release with php 8.1

If you cannot figure that out there is zero reason to proceed to a beta when you are not prepared. Good luck.

1 Like

Yep. Just pointing this out for those who can’t upgrade to php 8.1 before upgrading to NC 26.

For my Debian 11 install I have to go through few things to make it work. Ah well. It’s Linux. I’ll figure it out like I always have. Just hoping an easy route to take.

3 posts were split to a new topic: Why does NC drop PHP 7.4 with NC26+?

Wonderful!
I’ll be tesing this from today on Debian testing (bookworm) with PHP8.2 and mariadb 1:10.6.11-2 from testing as well.
Thanks so far!
tim

Hello!
The initial installation ran with minor glitches. I started with empty folders and database (apart from the unpacked NC archive, of course. “chown -R www-data:www-data nextcloud” was executed, the rest worked on web interface.)
Notes so far:
- The initial installation proposed to install 4 apps. If i remember correctly, it was Calendar, Contacts, Nextcloud Office and some other app i forgot. I accepted to install, which resulted in an error message stating that the calendar app was incompatible.
- When proceding with setup, i could acitvate the “untested” calendar app which worked fine. No data testing with the calendar so far.
- Adding a new user in the users group worked mostly fine. Tiny “problem”: When entering the user name, i was offered to add it to the “admin” group, the users group was not offered. I assumed it was nonexistent and tried adding it - which i couldn’t because it existed.
- In the admin settings, i keep receiving the error message “The memory limit is below the recommended setting of 512 MB” (translated from german, might have been slightly different. Changing appropriate values in /etc/php/8.2/fpm/php.ini didn’t make it disappear.

That much for the moment. No real show stoppers so far! Thanks again!

After executing
systemctl stop apache2
systemctl stop php8.2-fpm
systemctl start phpsessionclean
systemctl start php8.2-fpm
systemctl start apache2

the error complaining about the memory limit was gone. Hurra!

1 Like