Problem with NC Update - unexpected files

Hi, I’m new in the community.
I’m experiencing a similar problem updating from 16.0.3 to 16.0.6
Installed on a shared hosting, via Cpanel.
PHP version: 7.2.7
Apache version: 2.4.41

in my case the extra files found are:
.htq3ifvbjmycgq.data
error_log (no problem deleting this one)

The first one is the storage directory of my installation.
I suppose I cannot simply move it somewhere else without updating the database.

I don’t know if this is related in any way to the matter but: in the storage directory there is a huge amount on files named like “sess_00010e6f8d18a79bc745b97769ab38f8”

Appreciate any help.

from the quick look i had it appears the sess files are temp files.
have a look in one and see if it gives you any pointers as to why they’re being created and not deleted automatically.

http://ca.php.net/manual/en/session.configuration.php#ini.session.gc-maxlifetime

Hi @lupinehorror, thanks for your reply.
You’re right, php created the files but no clue why they were not deleted.

session.gc_maxlifetime was set to 1440 but the files had been there 3 months and growing.

Updating the php config solved the sess_files problem. Thanks

Now:

1. since this is my data directory, why NC updater does not expect it to be there?
1 Like

you changed something like

ini_set('session.save_path', '/path/to/directory/outwith/nc')

?
i’ve had more than a few issues with the updater and rogue files. i understand why it is so ‘strict’ but i do feel that the exclude process could be more refined. others, no doubt, will disagree.
glad you got it fixed.

I replaced the php.ini with an identical one, but this time I did it using the Cpanel editor, and it mysteriously worked: know I don’t have hundreds of garbage session files around. :grinning:
thanks again :wink:

Unfortunately the upgrade issue still remains unfixed.
Could you explain me how to get trough the exclude process?

Hi @lupinehorror I guess this is pretty similar to my situation

Still can’t get this solved

what files are the scan showing as invalid?

Now the file shown as extra is:
.jtq5ifvbymrcgq.data

(which appears to be my data storage directory :anguished: )

Are you sure? Nextcloud usually stores the data in a directory or with a symbolic link called “data”. You can find this directory or link in the Nextcloud document root, like e.g.:

../nextcloud/3rdparty
            /apps
            /config         # <<< directory which contains the config.php file !!!
            /core
            /data           # <<< !!!
            /lib
1 Like

yup. that’s the case for me.

what’s in that file if you view it?

Hi @j-ed, there is a /data dir, but it is empty (well it only contains .htaccess and index.html). :thinking:

the .jtq5ifvbymrcgq.data is a directory, it contains
__groupfolder
admin
user1
user2
appdata_ocn5b3kqwbqm
updater_ocn5b3kqwbqm
nextcloud.log
update.log
sess_66db0cf49f65287c783c7cc6e287bbdb

That’s indeed the usual content of the data directory. To which directory is the “datadirectory” parameter in your Nextcloud config.php file pointing?

Where should it be located?

The config.php file can be found be accessing the “/config” directory within the Nextcloud document root folder, see the directory structure which I’ve already posted.

Thanks, it was right there.
From my config.php

‘datadirectory’ => ‘/path/to/my/nextcloud/.jtq5ifvbymrcgq.data’,

back up your .jtq5ifvbymrcgq.data directory, rename it ‘data’ and change the entry in config.php (after backing that up too) to

‘datadirectory’ => ‘/path/to/my/nextcloud/data’

?

Thanks @lupinehorror, I tried that as you suggested, but than I wasn’t able to login with any user (nor admin itself) so it was impossible to perform any update.

Fortunately, going back to the initial situation, I’m able to login again and… nothing changed :wink:

Is there a way to import my user data to a fresh installation?
Would that make any sense? :thinking: