OnlyOffice Community Edition without 20 connections limitation

Same case as you.
It’s a shame when documentation isn’t up to date.
Only good technician can build OnlyOffice correctly.
Therefore i don’t have touch yet the limitation. But i prefer to be docker-INdependant rather than using it.

Try the new php based Document Server “Lite” that was just announced today:
https://apps.nextcloud.com/apps/documentserver_community

Although I doubt that it will work better with 20 simultanious users.

Ooh it’s part of the new annoucement about Nextcloud Hub I guess ? To more easyly integrate Onlyoffice.

I just download the code and there’s the limitation of 20 MAX_CONNECTIONS… in php file, maybe more easy to change :wink:

2 Likes

Hey,
we’d love to see this solved and could support it with some money…

So please keep us posted on the process. :slight_smile:

This isn’t an issue to solve. It’s easily done by changing a single number in the source code.

The limit is there basically to ensure quality of service.

Unless you really know what you are doing and have setup a serious server (cluster), anything more that 20 simultaneous users is unrealistic, especially with the new simplified php version.

However, I am really wondering who sets up a home system with more that 20 simultaneous users? That seems already like a high limit even for most small companies.
And if you need more than that, you should really first learn a bit more about servers and how to do simple code edits and recompile a webapp :slight_smile:

1 Like

Please read the full story of quentin.

He tried to recompile the document server several times but never succeed.

The fact that OnlyOffice is open source but nobody succeed to recompile it is a problem anyway.

4 Likes

+1
I also have the same problem about compiling.
@Krischan tell me how you compile OnlyOffice Document Server ? I’ll glad if you succeed.
For the moment, my biggest client have 50 Nextcloud users and never reached the 20´ limit. So i’m not in a hurry about compiling OO

Has been a while since I last did it. Might have become more complicated? But I agree that the end user documentation is currently lacking. I also think it is strange that the new php community server seems to pull in some stuff from the OO docker image and requires (?) X86 to work.

IMHO that is what people should really look into. Get a clean build and make sure it runs on a RasberryPI4 or similar. I remember reading on the OO issue tracker that principally nothing prevents the full Document server to run on ARM, just that the company behind has no interest in testing or supporting it. So it might be a simple fix to get it to work on ARM servers.

+1 :slightly_smiling_face:
I work in cooperative company with around ~150 end users (about 70 accounts) and we are reaching the limit several times now, it’s very problematic.
And open source software that doesn’t permit user to recompile the software is not really a free software :confused: I like to believe that it is just a matter of time before we succeed to get a updated doc ! :partying_face:

@Krischan : if you find your old notes about how to recompile the stuff… it will help a lot of people !

1 Like

@quentingrap

congratulations on having a safe place to work in such a big company.
maybe you should make your boss aware of the fact that using an open source software in a professional environment does not automatically come for free. and maybe you just want to be fair to developpers and ask them for an offer for your company. because other companies need to make a living as well. and so the concept of onlyoffice seems to be: free? no problem. but it comes with some kind of limitation (made for more or less homeusers and mayne very small companies) if you need more? no problem… buy it. just give them a chance as well.

and of course i’m not telling you you need to do what i suggested. i rather reminded you of what was the fair way of proceeding.

9 Likes

I quite agree with you !
Free software doesn’t mean free of money and people are working (very well) to make this so they can be remunerate, I have no problem with that.

In an other hand, our budget is limited and we also have make the decision to internalize IT to have the knowledge to develop and administrate software like Nextcloud (which has no limitation for example :stuck_out_tongue:) or OnlyOffice.

It seems to me that we are straying from the main topic. If software is declared free software then people with the knowledge should be able to enjoy the 4 freedoms of free software…

5 Likes

maybe so… but i still think that in a thread with a discussion of how certain built-in limits could be avoided it should be clear that this would screw someones business… and in this case the business of the main-developpers.

let me make a guess… it’s limited so that your boss can earn more? of course that’s common in capitalism… but maybe he should make up his mind and give you a few more bucks since it’s not really expensive to get a coverage.

btw: NC does have certain limitations but apparently they aren’t important to you.

Indeed. And the straying from the point is a diversion by some folks. Don’t be distracted by the essentially ad hominem nonsense that lacks understanding of opensource principles.

At this point, I think we really need to see a successful independent build of the Document Server, to see what’s what. I mean, at this point, how do we even know the published code builds at all?

2 Likes

thank you. but quod licet iovi non licet bovi.

so yea… please do that. onlyoffice forum seems to be best place for this discussion.

No, there’s no double standard. Criticizing your comments as ad hominem distractions that ignore the principle at hand is not the same as this sort of thing:

Which is a continuation of your earlier comments. The gambit is to make those concerned about how free some ostensibly opensource software actually is appear to be venal and selfish, rather than addressing the argument itself. I’m simply encouraging the person you’re addressing to ignore this, because it evades the issue.

With regard to me going away to the OnlyOffice forums, I’m afraid not. My concern is with its inclusion in Nextcloud, and I’m going to discuss it here.

2 Likes

@Semjel

in general you can do whatever you want. you can even start a discussion within a discussion about non-relevant parts of the discussion. it just won’t make any sense. call it ad hominem or distraction.

anyways… the issue is: onlyoffice has defined their way of making a biz out of some open source software. accept it. or don’t accept it. it doesn’t really matter. but discussing that on a 3rd party forum absolutely makes no sense.

the limits that come with the free version of onlyoffice affect ALL users… not only those of nextcloud. so go and see what the other forum holds for you. or don’t you dare discussing that stuff there?

over and out.

1 Like

Well, given that said software is now a default part of Nextcloud Hub, and Nextcloud is promoting its functionality as part of their key features, I think this is a reasonable place to discuss it. As you say, OnlyOffice has defined their way of making money out of pseudo-opensource software, and I doubt they will be of much assistance.

What I would like to find out, is whether we can compile an unrestricted build for the purposes of Nextcloud integration, and whether they will accept this as part of the freedom of the GPL, or whether there will be resistance. To put it another way, I’d like to know whether they actually respect the idea of opensource, or whether they just really intend for it to act as a limited demo for their closed-source products.

I also want to see how Nextcloud handles it, to see whether it’s software we still want to use going forward, or if they’re going to proceed down the road of features restricted to the enterprise versions.

4 Likes

Ahah thank you for the ad hominem attack indeed. For information, I am an associate of my cooperative, there are no shareholders, only members sharing the fruit of their work.
For the rest, I agree with @Semjel.
Opensource/Free software economic model are never easy to settle, but your point of view doesn’t seem to go to the right direction for shared code, shared knowledge, shared power and free softwares.

1 Like

When i heard about this new Nextcloud Hub Update with OnlyOffice included the connection limit was my first thought. I think even for a medium sized company the 20 users limit will easily be reached. I agree with @Semjel.

This should be advertised along with this that only 20 people can even work in a document with the included Document editor.

1 Like

If I understand correctly, it’s actually worse than that, because the limit is 20 “connections”, and a connection means one document open for editing. So it’s 20 documents at a time, not necessarily users.

I don’t know about you, but I would typically have a few documents open at once, depending on what I’m working on. And I’d say that applies to nearly everyone I work with. So, I think a much smaller group could quickly find themselves hitting the limit.

At the weekend I’ll set up a VM, and have a go at compiling the document server. I don’t suppose I’ll have any more success than the other folks that have tried, but we might be able to start whittling away at the errors, between us.

1 Like