No call notification/signal/ring tone at other party when trying to start a call (audio)

Nextcloud 13.0.4 on OpenSuse Leap 15.0
Talk 3.2.4 (Server)
Talk App 2.1.2, on Android 5 and 6 devices

Hi all,

first of all: No discussion Nextcloud is one of the coolest FOSS applications available, and TALK enhanced this, thanks to all who made this possible!!!

Started a while ago with Talk, installation etc. worked like a charme, no special settings serverside:
STUN: stun.nextcloud.com:443
No TURN server specified
No signaling server (?, German " Signalisierungsserver") specified

Calls itself, both audio/video, between nextcloud users (currently my wife, our son, and me :slight_smile) works fine from start on, with older app releases already. Both audio/video calls from mobile to mobile, and also mobile to pc (also Linux). I was surprised that all calls seems to be a pure peer to peer call participants communication, checked my OpenSuse VPS during an established call, no noteworthy systemload during that video call. Pretty well designed :wink

Only thing currently NOT working is the signaling of calls, both audio and video, as far as I understood a feature of the new app? Nextcloud shows in Browser a msg “user … tried to contact you”, for calls and chat msgs, as before, but although new app allows to select separate ring tones for calls and msgs, nothing is signaled at the other party.

Both my wife’s tablet and my smartphone in front of me, tested both re-entering an existing conversation and trying to start a call, and also leaving the conversation, creating a new one and trying to start a call: No signaling, both call directions, from android 5 to 6, and vice versa.

As I coulnd’t find any documentation about Talk App’s feature, not sure if I missed something? Must signaling somehow be enabled? App rights missing, on the Android side? Must I have a “signaling server” (now?), although screen in admin view says “optional only for large installations, empty for internal signaling”?

Not a very big issue, as the calls itself are working fine, if both parties join on demand, but would be cool being able to use this new feature.

Regards,
Michael

Nextcloud Talk expands to include chat on all platforms, improves user experience

Hi,

what phones do you use? Have you enabled priority notifications for the app, disabled battery optimisations?

Hi Mario

a) Lenovo (Motorola) C2, also known as K10a40, Android 6.0
b) (German) Telekom PULS Tablet, Android 5.0.1

Afaik, app-specifc battery optimization settings are from Android 6+ on, at least I can’t find them on the 5 tablet. Same for “priority notifications”, afaik also 6+

To test, I’ve set TALK’s settings on the Marshmallow device to “priority” notifications and “do not optimize” for energy saving, no change, no notification, no signaling.

But, maybe relevant, I’m not sure that these options really have an influence, in my case: Even when I have TALK open, and on top of the screen, when I’m “waiting” on the tab “Conversations” on the 6 device, screen unlock and no doze mode or similar, and start a call from the 5 tablet, I’m NOT getting any notification, neither outside nor inside TALK. As said, only within Firefox, where I’m recently typing this answer :slight_smile:

P.S.: I’m using Nextcloud Talk’s F-Droid version, not the one from Google Playstore. No idea if relevant

It’s VERY relevant. The F-Droid version does not support push notifications, therefore you cannot get notified of message mentions (e.g. when someone writes @michaelof) or when someone calls you.

Ok… So at first thank you very much for technically solving my issue! Good to know, was not aware of that.

Subsequent question: Any reason behind this restriction? Or a misunderstanding on my side?
If I can get a desired app (also) from F-Droid, I’m always preferring the F-Droid version. And for many F-Droid apps I’m using, e.g. K9 Mail, Nextcloud App itself, AntennaDroid, Simplemobiletools Simple Calender (calDAV synced with my Nextcloud, of course), OpenTasks, etc., I’m for sure getting notifications, on top, as configured, also on the lock screen.

Considering that I also wrote the push magic for Nextcloud app, I find that REALLY hard to believe.

The reason is that F-Droid cannot build apps with dependencies that are required for push.

Technically, if you have Google Play Services, but don’t want to install an app from Play Store, you could use an APK from Github and Push would work then.

Thanks for clarification. Just read into it, found my lack of knowledge about the difference between “push notifications” you’ve mentioned and the (simple) notifications I thought about.

Thanks for the hint of installing the apk directly from GutHub, fine for me. Will loose upgrade notifications at first, but I’ve already a cron script for this, as I’m using Firefox Mobile with a slightly customized apk for a while now. Easy to extend to watch for new Talk versions also :slight_smile:

Last remark: Maybe worth mentioning somehow, in the relase notes or so? Only in case I haven’t missed anything, again, but the official F-Droid pages are explicitly referring to " * Mobile call & chat push notifications" - https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.nextcloud.talk2/

Very last remark :slight_smile:

Installed from GutHub, call signaling now works like a charme. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

P.S.: Chat notifications are not signaled, but that’s not that important for me/us. Will dig into this next days…

Have a nice weekend,
Michael

Currently we only support chat notifications when you’re mentioned directly (e.g. when somebody mentions you like this “@michaelof”). General chat notifications will come later.

I will modify the description to say push works only if you install from Google Play.

These two quotes seem to conflict with each other.

@michaelof I’m experiencing pretty much exactly the same issue as you. May I ask which version you installed? 2.1.2 or the 3.0 beta, or …?

This is true. F-Droid and Google Play are the ONLY official distribution channels we support.

While you can install an APK from Github (and you get the same version as if you installed from Google Play) you lose ability to upgrade automatically and such.

What issue EXACTLY?

I wasn’t getting any ring or notification on inbound calls. After installing the APK from the github releases page, I got ringing.

That APK Is absolutely the same as the version on Play Store.