Nextcloud Talk expands to include chat on all platforms, improves user experience

I think a cross-platform (Windows, Linux, MacOS) desktop version with notifications and everything a desktop client should have would make more sense, even if it is just something in Electron (like a lot of other chat clients nowadays).

1 Like

Cool that the text chat is now also in the mobile app. I have two problems, though:

1. in the mobile app my contacts are empty
    2 How can I save call partners as contacts directly from Talk?

I use the latest Android app

When is the update for the iOS app, this is in the store still on version 1.3.2

apple always asks for some testing-time when they receive a new app (or app-version). it could take more than 1 week, i was told once.

1. That means youā€™ve disabled contacts auto-completion in Nextcloud. Once you enable it, contacts will appear.
  2. You canā€™t.
2 Likes

Sounds really nice
I waiting for the windows desktop aplication :laughing:

2 Likes

You will wait for quite some time unless you contribute :stuck_out_tongue:

Awesome!! Great Job!!

1 Like

Maybe a simple Rambox integration would solve the desktop client problem:

https://github.com/saenzramiro/rambox

A custom service can be integrated quite easily:

The most important feature I think would be notifications so there is a reminder if a new message arrived.

When is it coming to F-Droid?

When it decides to build.

We have the browser version - it is of course responsive, that is, it works fine on mobile. Heck, I already used Nextcloud Talk on my Android phone in Chrome a year ago at an airportā€¦ So that works. Then again, some Electron thing, like Skype and Signal and Slack etc have - yeah, I guess itā€™d be nice if somebody put that together. Might not be that hard!!!

Is it possible to use Nextcloud Talk as a chat in Mozilla Thunderbird? Are there some other good clients for desktops?

2 Likes

I have one issue with Nextcloud Talk that makes it impractical - When you try to contact a user through Talk they get no audible notification of an incoming call. Yes, if theyā€™re currently logged into Nextcloud they get a ā€œnotificationā€ via a little red dot on the pages bell icon but thatā€™s about it. Very easy to miss this. Now perhaps I donā€™t have something set up correctly, and if thatā€™s the case please let me know.
Iā€™d like to recommend a PC based client that can provide notification and connect the call. With such an integration I can envision eventually dropping paid VTC services.
Thanks for all the work being done on this application and all of Nextcloud.

Bruce,

help.nextcloud.com is a good place for questions like this. IMHO better than ā€œhitchhikingā€ announcements :wink:

Regarding your issue: No call notification/signal/ring tone at other party when trying to start a call (audio)

Iā€™ve had the same question :slight_smile:

Regards,
Michael

A Desktop-Client for Talk would really make things easier.
We are about to move our business communication from telegram (yeah, sucks) to ā€¦ well not to the Webbrowser version.

1 Like

What is the use case for Client certificate based authentication? And how do you use it?

Is there a plugin to chat from thunderbird? Thanks!

1 Like

Are there any plans to implement short voice messages? Like in whatsup, etc.

Good point, but youā€™re not the first one asking for this feature :wink: