Nextcloud docs (https://docs.nextcloud.com/) down

In case another datapoint helps, still down (slow Admin page, as of just after midnight 27-Aug New York time, web update eventually stalls out after

" * ## Initializing
Current version is 26.0.3."

Happy to try any debugging or any logs that might be helpful.

Thanks!

It looks like there are problems with the servers again. I canā€™t reach docs.nextcloud.com or download.nextcloud.com at the moment.

That was a short success :frowning: will check internally.

1 Like

Still offline docs & downloads ā†’

Connecting to download.nextcloud.com (download.nextcloud.com)|95.217.64.181|:443ā€¦ failed: Connection timed out.

Connecting to download.nextcloud.com (download.nextcloud.com)|2a01:4f9:2a:3119::181|:443ā€¦ failed: Connection timed out.

Trying since yesterday - no success :frowning:

Update notification plugin freezes all interface, when update server is down :frowning:

You could try to disable it temporarly:

occ app:disable updatenotification

What do you mean by that exactley? My instance is working normaly, except that the admin settings take a little bit longer to load than usualy.

I allready disabled this plugin via web interface. I have 25.0.9 version now and log in process takes about 30 sec with update notification plugin. Afer it I can see a message that 25.0.10 version is avaliable and all operations are VERY slow. There is no cpu or memory usage. I tried to update my instance - occ update:chceck founds new version. Web interface can check new version too. Also, it is possible to check compatibillity of applications. After all, /update show only current version after very long freeze.

Web interface is workin fine with disabled update notification plugin.

Sorry. English is not my own.

Well then I suggest you leave it disabled until they fixed the server issues. Once the download servers are up and running again you can re-enable it and try to update your server again.

The reason of slow interface was unclear for me. I decided that problem is on my side and spend some time to check my LAMP, hardware and internet connection. May be, official plugin should be moreā€¦ well designed.

Yeah maybe, Iā€™m not a dev, but I guess things can always be improved. :wink: But again, for me, except for the admin page loading a little longer (Iā€™m talking about a couple of seconds here), everything works normally.

May be, you have an actual version of nextcloud, and my wersion need to be updated.

Yes it is, but one instance is on the beta channel and has a pending upgrade which I didnā€™t aply yet. And yes, maybe the update notification app will cause freezes on my instances too, the next time it automatically checks for updates, therefore my recommendation to leave it disabled for now. Sorry I canā€™t say more, but If you have any suggestions on how to improve the update check, feel free to open an issue on GitHub and let the developers knowā€¦

So THAT was the reason for the UI not working and getting timeouts, unresponsive webpages and no traces in the logs!

So, if an external site being down (updates.nextcloud.com) causes a self-hosted nextcloud instance to fail, Iā€™d say thatā€™s a bug.

My instance version is 23.0.4 and the update notification app version is 1.13.0

1 Like

As I said, I donā€™t experience such issues on my instances. Maybe it was already improved in newer versions. Iā€™m on 27.0.2.

Btw. 23.0.4 is End of Life since December 2022. Maintenance and Release Schedule Ā· nextcloud/server Wiki Ā· GitHub

1 Like

Not helpful, just more stress for the infrastructure.

1 Like

Previous discussion about the release script: Build bzip and package from git

Install Nextcloud from source: I assume your question is how to install it with the zip files from GitHub? I donā€™t think we support it. As mentioned by @SysKeeper you need:

Thatā€™s quite similar to our usual development setup. Very well possible that another app is also mandatory. Havenā€™t checked this way in for a while.

1 Like

I just wanted to add that for all the ā€œnon-developersā€ here who just want to set up or upgrade a regular Nextcloud instance, and may have become a little impatient, the following part from @kesselb s post is relevant:

:wink:

1 Like

FIx is at fix(updatecheck): Don't wait 120s for a response of updater.nextcloudā€¦ by nickvergessen Ā· Pull Request #40071 Ā· nextcloud/server Ā· GitHub

But that being said

That is a very old and unsupported version. You should update asap. First to the latest 23.0.12, then to version 24.0.12, then to 25.0.10 which is the currently oldest version still supported.

2 Likes

Any ETA on this?
Where could one find an alternative source for stable documentation?

Bumping, still down. Is there anything we can do to help solve the issue?