Nextcloud docs (https://docs.nextcloud.com/) down

May be, you have an actual version of nextcloud, and my wersion need to be updated.

Yes it is, but one instance is on the beta channel and has a pending upgrade which I didn’t aply yet. And yes, maybe the update notification app will cause freezes on my instances too, the next time it automatically checks for updates, therefore my recommendation to leave it disabled for now. Sorry I can’t say more, but If you have any suggestions on how to improve the update check, feel free to open an issue on GitHub and let the developers know…

So THAT was the reason for the UI not working and getting timeouts, unresponsive webpages and no traces in the logs!

So, if an external site being down (updates.nextcloud.com) causes a self-hosted nextcloud instance to fail, I’d say that’s a bug.

My instance version is 23.0.4 and the update notification app version is 1.13.0

1 Like

As I said, I don’t experience such issues on my instances. Maybe it was already improved in newer versions. I’m on 27.0.2.

Btw. 23.0.4 is End of Life since December 2022. Maintenance and Release Schedule · nextcloud/server Wiki · GitHub

1 Like

Not helpful, just more stress for the infrastructure.

1 Like

Previous discussion about the release script: Build bzip and package from git

Install Nextcloud from source: I assume your question is how to install it with the zip files from GitHub? I don’t think we support it. As mentioned by @SysKeeper you need:

That’s quite similar to our usual development setup. Very well possible that another app is also mandatory. Haven’t checked this way in for a while.

1 Like

I just wanted to add that for all the “non-developers” here who just want to set up or upgrade a regular Nextcloud instance, and may have become a little impatient, the following part from @kesselb s post is relevant:

:wink:

1 Like

FIx is at fix(updatecheck): Don't wait 120s for a response of updater.nextcloud… by nickvergessen · Pull Request #40071 · nextcloud/server · GitHub

But that being said

That is a very old and unsupported version. You should update asap. First to the latest 23.0.12, then to version 24.0.12, then to 25.0.10 which is the currently oldest version still supported.

2 Likes

Any ETA on this?
Where could one find an alternative source for stable documentation?

Bumping, still down. Is there anything we can do to help solve the issue?

No, still working on it, sorry for the issues.

1 Like

Thank you for your support!

I bumped the server from 23 to 27. It’s a self-hosted instance and sometimes it’s difficultd to keep up to date. But I have to say the upgrade procedure has become better and seamless with the years! I’m pleasantly surprised :slight_smile:

one workaround could be to simply fo to: http://YourServer.com/index.php/settings/help/admin
I don’t know if everything is represented here but for most of the stuff i needed it did the trick…

This page has a search function so even tho the liks you find everywhere you can at least search for topics…

EDIT: take a good look at the URL i posted here: it is ment to be changed and filled with your own server :wink:

The documentation is available at GitHub: GitHub - nextcloud/documentation at stable27

Again, I am sorry that it’s taking so long. We’re trying our best to have everything back online as soon as possible.

3 Likes

Also the case with my instance. Backend/admin interface not loading at all(timeout eventually).
(after disabling updatenotification app, it’s working again)

Maybe this has something to do with the fact that in my case Nextcloud is running behind a HAproxy/reverse proxy. Still strange though.

Please see the fix mentioned above.

1 Like

Good news, the new server/infrastructure is now online. We only need to wait until DNS is correctly propagated. In the meantime (if you quickly need access), you can set up these IPs locally:

5.9.202.145 download.nextcloud.com
5.9.202.145 docs.nextcloud.com

4 Likes

Any idea when updates.nextcloud.com will be available?

3 Likes

Any estimate can only be wrong. But since the initial deployment is now done, I hope the further services will be quicker to restore.

3 Likes