*.Nextcloud.com - connectivity issues

You marked it as resolved. So I will close it.

The last 3 days the urls download.nextcloud.com and updates.nextcloud.com has been unresponsive or very slow.

I updated some of our Nextcloud installations last weekend and everything was running smoothly.
But the last couple of days it has been near impossible to run an update.

When I start the updater in cli I get either of these two errors in the first step or the downloading step:
[Exception] Could not do request to updater server: OpenSSL SSL_connect: SSL_ERROR_SYSCALL in connection to updates.nextcloud.com:443

[Exception] Could not do request to updater server: Operation timed out after 300170 milliseconds with 0 out of 0 bytes received

Is this due to high load because of the NC20 update?

I tend to keep it open, rather… :wink:

1 Like

I’d like to start by saying I am a very happy recent new user of Nextcloud for a private cloud for my small team (four people). There are so many useful applications and integrations. Clearly there are some awesome people working on it. I feel empowered with features and freedom from the proprietary tech giant jails. I sincerely appreciate the choice of the AGPL software license and I hope Nextcloud continues to improve and evolve for years to come.

My issue is with this forum, help.nextcloud.com . I am regularly seeing what I consider to be very slow page load times. Much slower than other websites. When I first try to go to https://help.nextcloud.com , the page is blank and it may take 30 to 90 seconds before I see anything rendered. Is anyone else having similar issues?

The issue seems most pronounced with the initial page load/render, subsequent clicks and page loads feel faster (although I don’t have measurements).

I’m using the Chromium browser. OS is 64-bit Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS. HTTPS Everywhere and LastPass extensions.

I have a “meh” reproduction of this issue with a remote web page speed test (perhaps not an excellent repro, but I’ll share my results). https://www.webpagetest.org/result/200910_K0_bf8ca63210e8f42dbbe0e00531bdf5ce/ shows a reasonable 4.7 sec until document rendered and an OK 12 sec until fully loaded. It appears a CDN is not used. I ran it a few times, this a typical result.

It feels faster on my phone. Timings are closer to this webpagetest.org result for me mobile chrome on an Android phone using both wifi and cellular.

I am on physically located on the west coast of the United States. I have a fast Internet connection: >100mbit/s bidirectional with ~5ms latency pings to google servers. I use a Pi-Hole for DNS. Everything else is fast enough that I don’t bother timing, help.nextcloud.com stands out in this regard.

Where is the help.nextcloud.com instance Discourse hosted? geoiplookup.net puts it in Helsinki, Finland. Is that right? Is it scaled out? Any plans to use a CDN?

They increased the resources in the past. For myself, I didn’t seen any problems lately (I’m wasn’t very active though). Others that share the impression?

I noticed changes to this site over the last month.
I visit daily and it happens to me 2-3 times a week…

I never waited for more the 10 seconds and thought it was just down.
In a couple hours it will work again (refresh within 2-3 seconds)…

I have seen similar behaviour, seems to me like the server(s) has (have) problems with the load at peak times, or, if there is one, the load ballancer has an issue

On my end, this website is completely unusable.

The page is able to get the title loaded, but hits a timeout (either on Chrome, Firefox or edge).

Note that I mostly visit the site on late afternoons (eastern Canada or around 20:00 UTC).

As already pointed out in another thread, this is related to the platform and provider Nextcloud hosts their forum on.
Read about it here: The forum is running very slowly
A simple test can be done: just use a VPN and connect from America. The page loads in a few milliseconds.
I’m from Italy, and every time I try to open the Nextcloud foums, it takes about a minute per page. If I use an USA VPN, I get very faster loading times, even if the traffic has to go overseas three times in a row.

Thanks for the link.

The help.nextcloud.com discourse forum is still slow for me from the west coast of the USA. I bet it’s some specific static/pre-compiled asset that is eventually cached. The first page load of a given day (or 12 hours or something like that) is very slow (30sec or so), and subsequent page loads in the same browser session are much faster (~1 second). I watched the dev console while it was loading and it looked like all the .js files were loading in serial (even though the waterfall makes it look like they loaded in parallel). I’m not sure what else would be helpful for debugging… if there’s anything I can do to help please let me know. I’m wondering if discourse it set to some kind of debugging mode?

In case it helps, here’s my waterfall and JS console from chromium trying to go to help.nextcloud.com with a cold cache: