NC 22.2.1 performance warning!

I’ve currently updated one of my NC installations from 22.2.0 to 22.2.1. After this update the complete performance of the web server went worse by factors, changing between apps i.e. takes several seconds (which was immediately with 22.2.0).

I’ve rolled back my Snapshot to 22.2.0 and all was fine.

I found an already opened Github issued by another user here, so I’m not the only guy seeing issues: 22.2.1 is very slow · Issue #29678 · nextcloud/server · GitHub

I’m currently retesting … just want to issue a warning to you guys to not update your production cloud without having a proper snapshot to roll back. For me, 22.2.1 was absolute unusable due to this issue (Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, 8GB RAM, 12 vCPU, Apache, PHP-FPM 7.4.25).

26 Likes

I can confirm. With 22.2.1 even opening contacts now takes 15 seconds.

1 Like

Thanks for this Warning. I’ve stopped my Update.

1 Like

Yes, thanks for the warning! :+1:

1 Like

I have already updated. I also have speed problems. But the usability of the server is also very high.

Same here.

same here.

@jacotec

I’m new to all of this. A hobbyist. I installed a NC 22.2.0 server on a Raspberry Pi yesterday. It was running okay until I updated to 22.2.1. Can you point me to a procedure to rollback to 22.2.0?

Thanks for the Warning. i checked my version in Overview, it is 22.2.0, but said “your version is up to date” so no update available. May be 22.2.1 doesn’t yet show up in “Stable” update channel?

Unfortunately you cannot downgrade / rollback, unless you have a full system backup of your server from before the upgrade or some kind of snapshots in place. Like for example snapshots of your file system (e.g. with ZFS or BTRFS) or of your Virtual Machine, provided you are using Nextcloud in a VM, which would be unlikely on a RaspberryPi.

Seeing slight hit on performance post upgrade but nothing like the delays reported. (Debian 10, 32GB, Apache2, PHP-FPM 7.3)

I’m definitely not running ZFS or BTRFS. Thanks for the reply.

pi@rpi-cloud:~ $ df -Th
Filesystem     Type      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root      ext4      118G  4.6G  108G   5% /

You could try to manually install the patch mentioned in the linked GitHub issue. But if it is not absolutley crucial or mission critical for some reason, I would wait for an official bug fix upgrade… :wink:

NC22.2.1 is working fine for me. Can not feel any difference in performance. :man_shrugging:t3:

Ubuntu 20.04.
Apache 2.4.41
PHP7.4.3
MySQL 8.0.27

I was looking at the patch in the GitHub thread a few minutes ago. I’m not going to try to install the patch… although I’m tempted to learn how :slight_smile: I’ll probably just wait for the next upgrade. Thanks!

If you want to try it, you could install Nextcloud in a VM on your Desktop PC or Laptop and try it there first… and / or you could take a full image of your Raspberry Pi’s SD Card. That way you could roll back to your old installation if something goes wrong. Ideally, however, you should have a second SD card with which you can test that restoring the image actually works, should you need it :wink:

Matter of fact from day one my NextCloud 22.2.0 (snap) running slow due to high CPU usage.

I have an open post seeking advice on Recommended CPU on system requirements !! NextCloud system requirement page has practically no information about the CPU details.

I received the notification on my Android client and Windows Desktop client that 22.2.1 was available and when I went to update the server, the new version wasn’t available. I hope that happened because of this possible bug (new version held back) and not a new bug in and of itself.

So … what I’ve learned today is that I need to put a backup/restore strategy into practice!

3 Likes