Electronic Signature App

My own, and other organisations are interested in an electronic signature app for nextcloud. See for example:

Note there is a difference between n Electronic Signature and a Digital Signature. A Digital Signature is a cryptographic signature, and Electronic Signature is less specific, but still fully legal in most industrial jurisdictions, method of electronically signing documents, where the main requirements are that there is some verification of identity, e.g. via an email, and a recording of intent to sign.

An electronic signature or e-signature, is a legal way to get consent or approval on electronic documents or forms. One of the most relied upon definitions of an electronic signature is “an electronic sound, symbol or process attached to or logically associated with a record…adopted by a person with the intent to sign the record.” Electronic signatures can be used to replace handwritten signatures in virtually every personal or business process.

So what is required for such an app is the following:

1. Select/upload a document for signing (at least support pdf documents)
  2. Select the places where it is to be signed (e.g. by drawing a box overlay on the pdf)
  3. Select places where some other information can be input, e.g. at a minimum text input and dates, so signer can input, e.g. their name, address, job title in appropriate places
  4. Allow the places to be signed or details to be input to be assigned to an email address/user
  5. Send document out for signing to the email addresses
  6. Recipients can open document to be signed and complete information and upload signature to go in signature box, but only in the places assigned to them in step 4
  7. Once a signature and other data has been entered, recipients click some button to indicate they have completed signing and signal legal “intent-to-sign”
  8. When all recipients have signed, pdf of signed document is created and made available to all participants to download.

I’d be interested in getting quotes for such an app. I think it could be easily crowdfunded, such commercial services are quite expensive, at least 300 euros per year, and increasing with the number of users.

2 Likes

Any news on this? Would be great to have this available as an app.

I’m also fully in support of such app :slight_smile:
How could that topic move forward?

Would anyone else be able to contribute to the cost if we were to get a quote from Nextcloud GmbH to develop this, and we crowdfund it?

I am fully in support for this idea.

and happy to contribute to the cost