Desktop app causing Windows Explorer to crash

Following a recent update to the desktop app on windows 10 running the app is causing explorer to crash when right clicking on any item.
closing the desktop app stops the crashing and explorer function normally.

I have tried to totally uninstall the desktop app including the registry emtries and reinstalling the desktop app but his has not solved the problem.
Can anyone help.

3 Likes

I have the same issue.

I’m currently on:
|OS Name:|Microsoft Windows 11 Pro|
|OS Version:|10.0.22621 N/A Build 22621|

There’s an application crash event in Event Viewer:
Faulting application name: explorer.exe, version: 10.0.22621.3296, time stamp: 0x48d2cb32
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.22621.3235, time stamp: 0xa2c4352c
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x00000000000a43b0
Faulting process id: 0x0x2140
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1DA7C2D2376643F
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 1d2c96e5-1d26-485e-a8c0-3646b07e21d5
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

1 Like

I have the same issue, too.

|OS Version:|10.0.22621 N/A Build 22621|

I have exactly the same problem. I tried to install the app on my Surface Pro 5 and explorer.exe crashes every time I use File Explorer or Task Manager. I checked everything, update, repair etc, but only once NextCloud is uninstalled, the problem disappears completely.
I have version 3.11.1 on my desktop PC which works without problems. 3.12.2 on my tablet crashes everything. So I tested by updating that of my desktop PC and indeed, I have the same problem. explorer.exe crashes and restarts as soon as I call it.

I don’t really know wich version is responsible, but i suggest is just 3.12.2. Besides, it seems to me that it is the only one that requires restarting the explorer during installation. Coincidence ?

You can find a previous version here to resolve this issue for now :

Same problem here, with version 3.12.1 everything works and with version 3.12.2 the explorer crashes as soon as the right-click context menu is called up. I’ll stay on 3.12.1 for now until the problem is solved

System: Windows 10 Home 23H2

1 Like

Pretty sure I started having the same issue since I updated the desktop client. However I also noticed launching (certain?) programs from the start button context menu (like computer management or event viewer) also crashes the explorer, can anyone confirm?

Same issue here. No problem anymore after returning to the previous version

Same. Windows 10 22H2. Crashing from update this morning.

Same here on the three computers I’ve got Nextcloud client installed on. At first my main PC started crashing on right-click but that’s a relatively rapidly changing environment. However, I’ve just upgraded a client laptop to 3.12.2 (because sync was stuck) and the first thing I did was right-click Desktop as I couldn’t recall if I’d set-up folder direction.

However, I also noticed that OneDrive and Nextcloud client wasn’t running after the Windows Explorer crash.

just about to reboot to see if problem occurs again.

Later… yes it does.

Has somebody raised a GitHub issue? Also why is this marked as solved? Where can you download old versions of the client? I can’t have this level of instability.

Later…

Yes they have but it’s still awaiting triage!

https://github.com/nextcloud/desktop/issues/6566

And old versions are here:

https://download.nextcloud.com/desktop/releases/Windows/

you can find downloads of all versions of the desktop app at the following URL Index of /desktop/releases/Windows

Ok i can download an old version, but why did you put the topic as “resolved” ? This is a significant problem especially since no matter the version of NextCloud it will force the update to 3.12.2 without the possibility of stopping it (or very annoyingly by canceling its installation).

The topic is not resolved. The immediate solution is to revert to 3.12.1 turn off the automatic updates in the settins and don’t install 3.12.2. This latest version obviously has issues with windows 10 and 11 Explorer and this need to be fixed or replaced with a new version that does not have this bug.

Same for me!

I marked the linked github issue as solution. We need to wait for a response from the developers. If you are affected as well, you can give the initial post a thumbs up, use posts only if you have information to add. I imagine not all users are concerned, so they need to figure out what is different for those who see this bug.

2 Likes

Hello everyone, same problem here causing a lot of windows explorer crashes.

- EventData

AppName Explorer.EXE

AppVersion 10.0.22621.2792

AppTimeStamp fbda1990

ModuleName NCContextMenu.dll_unloaded

ModuleVersion 3.0.0.47

ModuleTimeStamp 65fae7f1

ExceptionCode c0000005

FaultingOffset 0000000000001010

ProcessId 0x2090

ProcessCreationTime 0x1da7ed6923d0efb

AppPath C:\windows\Explorer.EXE

ModulePath NCContextMenu.dll

IntegratorReportId ca4f1515-391e-496c-8eaf-191db9fa6fd5

PackageFullName

PackageRelativeAppId

Previous versions of Nextcloud caused File Explorer to crach (on Windows 11). Recently it was all good, until v12.2. V12.2 was crashing all my PCs (Windows 10 and Windows 11). Downgraded to 12.1. Now, all is back to normal.

There is a fix that possibly fixes the issue:

1 Like

The fixed test version does seem to fix this although the website still has the broken version so countless users will be upgrading and hitting this problem. Perplexed why they didn’t pull it from the upgrade system. This isn’t solved until the fixed version 3.12.3 (I assume) is out via the update system.