I think most browsers actually do offer to import bookmarks/history/etc from other installed browsers on first run?
This should probably be done on first run of the client, not in the installer (because of system-wide installations of the client for multiple users)
What I think would be ideal:
- On first run: detect existing alternative clients, if found:
- offer to import settings instead of going through the 'normal' setup process
- if the user chooses to import settings:
- instruct user to shut down the other client
- wait for the other client to shut down
- import settings from the other client
- instruct user to uninstall the other client (as it is likely to auto-restart on the next reboot)
- On not-first runs: detect running alternative clients, if found:
- either refuse to start, or warn the user that two clients syncing the same files will probably cause Problems.
This seems like quite a lot of work to actually implement though, and messing with other installed software is probably non-trivial (also: what if they already have multiple other clients installed?...)