Bring Firefox Sync back

Yup fine. Any further arguing will close the topic. Focus on constructive conversation around ffsync instead.

1 Like

The Mozilla Sync Owncloud app still works on Nextcloud 12 and Pale Moon.

Hi guys, I evaded as well to sync 1.5, because I want to sync to my android device. And it didnā€™t work for me on palemoon. Even I do not fully technically understand what the 1.5 complexity means, I know that complexity introduces new weaknesses. So lets get back to the topicā€¦

Does someone know, if the technology Mozilla uses in the current setup (auth, acc, sync) is compatible with Nextcloud? There is python, fast_cgi, sql. Does this matter in the end?

I am not a developer and ask myself if this is just about packaging all parts and adopting the config files or does someone has to put hands on the source to make it finally work with NC? I understand that for the NC app itself for sure development is needed!

I know that Dan Callahan initially showed support/interest for a Nextcloud app. Does someone know why this got so silent?

Floccus works pretty well. The problem is that as a Firefox-Addon it cannot sync tags due to (upstream) restrictions by Mozilla. Anybody found a way to sync Firefox Bookmarks (incl. Tags) with NC?

Where would be the proper place to request Tag support from Mozilla? We should connect with them.

1 Like

Iā€™ve asked Mozilla whether theyā€™ve abandoned supporting open source alternatives to their own sync service. Click to see what they say back on the support page.

Hopefully this discussion will take off within Mozilla. What features would you like to see supported or improved for us selfhosters? @marcelklehr
@tchncs @nullnvoid @jknockaert @godfuture @Krypto_Orgonit @franz.hartwig @Jacob_Bruinsma @alfred @rugk

Here is the open response from Mozilla for feedback:

ā€œI know the self-hosted community is
not satisfied with the current implementation of Sync 1.5 Afaik.ā€, but thatā€™s not our experience - we can certainly do a better job on documentation, but we really need feedback on the areas that need help
and try to be responsive when we notice things that can be improved. We also try to act on bug reports and pull requests in a timely manner.

In that vein, we are happy discuss how things could be improved for the greater community - what did you have in mind?

1 Like

Also curious to hear current thoughts from past thread contributers @tflidd @blizzz @DarkSteve @grandpianisto @weka @BobJonkman on how to improve current Firefox 1.5 self-hosted sync.

The syncserver works on my Raspberry Pi. I am lucky with it. It would be great not depending on the Firefox auth server. Setting up the auth server with node.js is a pain and it seems impossible to set it up on a Raspberry Pi. So another implementation with much fewer dependencies would be great.

I think, as was pointed out before and has lead me to creating floccus, that, while hosting your own firefox sync server is nice and a nextcloud app that does that would be useful to many, we would be, once again, at the mercy of mozilla since we basically replicate infrastructure that they probably perceive not as an API or standard that needs to be maintained, but as a private service that they can change whenever they like. (I know this might be changing, as more people implement sync clients, but I donā€™t think many will do so.) However, Iā€™m happy they have adopted the WebExtension quasi-standard, as I expect this to be much more stable ā€“ even more so, since a lot of extensions depend on it rather than just a few people running their own sync infrastructure.

That being said, the landscape for WebExtension support in Firefox still leaves some things to be desired, from my perspective as the developer of floccus: Itā€™s currently impossible to access bookmarksā€™ tags with a webextension, and Firefox for Android doesnā€™t offer access to bookmarks at all, which is a major drawback for me. [1]

Still, I feel things are improving and weā€™re getting closer :slight_smile:

1 Like

Any other specific features or additions to the API that you would find helpful?

Not much to add, except that Iā€™m not using any kind of web browser
sync at all. Self-host, or nothing!

• ā€“Bob.
2 Likes

Iā€™m happy to anounce Floccus v2.0.0 is now available which comes with complete folder sync support, the ability to select a custom folder to sync (even the browser root folder), improved performance (no more freezing!), overhauled UI and lots of fixes for edge cases for an improved overall experience. Time to gather those bookmarks in your cloud! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The most important (tagging) isnĀ“t working well and itĀ“s not so nice as I have for imaginations. All synced tags will have the tag floccus:>.
ItĀ“s anyway good work, but itĀ“s improveable. :wink:
At the moment is the javascript function the best option for me :blush:

@marcelklehr Thanks for the update. Where does Floccus store the account settings? More specifically: does it save the Nextcloud user password in cleartext in the Firefox profile folder?

@jknockaert Sorry, the password is still stored locally. The alternative is asking the user for the password every time the browser starts, which is not a very nice experience, IMO. Do you have any ideas here?

Revoking file access for the app password?
And maybe the ff addon can encrypt it locally.

NC supports special app passwords, I guess there is a way to use those instead of storing the main password of the user? Havenā€™t looked into it, yet, but probably just a question of streamlining that a bit and making users aware of the security implication if they use the regular account.

Iā€™d say start with Firefox, and if other browser vendors want to join, then they might be a bit more forthcoming with their sync specs. Not like Google, who are trying to hide this feature from you and also to force you to sync to Google servers exclusively.

Once could also look into Tab Session Manager: Sync Options Ā· Issue #521 Ā· sienori/Tab-Session-Manager Ā· GitHub

Itā€™s open source and already has GDrive sync option. Iā€™m not sure how Nexcloud handles authorizations and if it can create external app folders, but if these two options are availiable in the default API it should be fairly easy to implement tab sync without having to implement an extra app for the server side.

Floccus / Nextcloud Bookmarks support Tab sync as of a few months ago.

4 Likes