Bring Firefox Sync back

@marcelklehr Thanks for the update. Where does Floccus store the account settings? More specifically: does it save the Nextcloud user password in cleartext in the Firefox profile folder?

@jknockaert Sorry, the password is still stored locally. The alternative is asking the user for the password every time the browser starts, which is not a very nice experience, IMO. Do you have any ideas here?

Revoking file access for the app password?
And maybe the ff addon can encrypt it locally.

NC supports special app passwords, I guess there is a way to use those instead of storing the main password of the user? Haven’t looked into it, yet, but probably just a question of streamlining that a bit and making users aware of the security implication if they use the regular account.

I’d say start with Firefox, and if other browser vendors want to join, then they might be a bit more forthcoming with their sync specs. Not like Google, who are trying to hide this feature from you and also to force you to sync to Google servers exclusively.

Once could also look into Tab Session Manager: Sync Options · Issue #521 · sienori/Tab-Session-Manager · GitHub

It’s open source and already has GDrive sync option. I’m not sure how Nexcloud handles authorizations and if it can create external app folders, but if these two options are availiable in the default API it should be fairly easy to implement tab sync without having to implement an extra app for the server side.

Floccus / Nextcloud Bookmarks support Tab sync as of a few months ago.

4 Likes