Why doesn't android client upload existing pictures?

I’m currently using foldersync and I was hoping that Nextcloud would replace that. But not being able to upload existing photos is annoying. Everything else is great.

newtcloud is compatible with other apps to upload old photos

Hi xavierl, can you provide an example of other apps?

I use Syncronize Ultimate for syncing. Seems more reliable to me. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.icecoldapps.synchronizeultimate&hl=en

Also, you can from another app, like a gallery or file exlorer, choose “Share with” and select Nextcloud. Then Nextcloud will upload those files.

The “share with” works great. But if you are trying to use the “share with” for many files (like 1000+) it wont work. I manually uploaded them and now everything works great with the auto upload feature. Thanks for the tip!

Dear Nextcloud people… As I am not able to answer on github because the thread is locked to members, I answer here:

I vote +1 for

Increment 3 - upload existing files

• add “upload/sync all existing images/videos/files” as an option to the auto upload folder three-dot menu.

background:
First I did not succeed putting nextcloud/data to a NAS / NFS shared network drive, so i started testing the auto-upload and it worked flawlessly.
It worked when I first installed the nextcloud android client from the app store

then i had issues with mp4 files and installed a android dev version, which somehow fixed the notification error about mp4 files error

meanwhile i uninstalled the dev and the shop version from android and installed a fresh shop version

meanwhile i fixed the NAS solution and my /data is now located on an NFS network drive :slight_smile: happy with selinux activated and centos8 up and running :slight_smile: really happy and joyful, was not easy

i moved my data from local to nfs, i know this is not too nice, but in the end it works stable now

i deleted the uploaded files in the nextcloud and emptied the trash

i cleaned the data directory with occ files:scan and files:clean myuser afterwards

now it just auto-uploads the new images and videos (e.g. PDF files i think it does NOT upload yet, would it upload music?

i cannot tretrigger the old photos, i tried even by copying them to another folder on the android and back to the original folder (i tried with the DCIM/Screenshots on a Samsung Note 10 running Android 12)

I am happy to test if you have a dev version for the feature mentioned above…
If you would mind helping all people with this feature i would be very greatful.

Anyway, the nextcloud is an AMAZING project and it means a lot to me that you guys make something outstanding useable. I accept errors btw :slight_smile:

have a nice working week and again big UP! to all developers involved in that project!