What is latest Nextcloud release

due to the staged rollout of the upgrade it could happen that you wonā€™t get them for a while.

@kevdog the staged stable rollout not started yet. you can see this here: https://github.com/nextcloud/updater_server/blob/master/config/config.php in the ā€œstableā€ array there must be a key 19.0.5 (or 19) pointing to 20.0.2.

1 Like

@JimmyKater

What you are telling me doesnā€™t actually match what others have said in this thread and what is happening within nextcloud.

If the the 20.0.x releases are ā€œstableā€, then why arenā€™t they offered as an option for download within the stable branch channel? I have to switch branches in order to have the option to download and install 20.0.x.

Others have posted above, that 20.0.1 and 20.0.2 were not meant for ā€œstableā€ distribution and encouraged users like me to wait until the 20 release appeared within the stable branch release pipeline.

Iā€™m not here to argue with anyone about whatā€™s classified as stable or not, its just the numbering scheme is very very confusing. Iā€™m being offered 19.0.5 right now within the stable channel. Iā€™m not aware of any source (link or otherwise) that actually explains releases numbers. You would probably disagree with me, but my question was more focused because I was confused and I couldnā€™t find a definitive source that explained the issue. I believe someone above suggested a user like to me to check the forums before posting such an issue ā€“ this made me laugh. I like the forums a lot and contribute when I can however there is a lot of misinformation floating around the forums. It hard to get a clear direction sometimes if I followed every post regarding a particular topic posted within the forums.

2 Likes

I had no intention to add anything to this thread as I find it useless, but when you started, here is my fresh experience: Iā€™m running 3 instances of NC in our small community. Two of them have been offered update to NC 20.x, one not (needless to say: all on stable channel)ā€¦

Is THIS normal? How am I supposed to keep sw on all my servers stable & updated, if software is ā€œstableā€ and ā€œbetaā€ at the same time, depending on server IP-address? Do you know any other software behaving like this? I do not.

NC 20.0 has been released as ā€œstableā€ (???) on October 3, 2020. Thatā€™s 7 weeks ago. And still ā€œsomeā€ NC-servers do not get update to 20x offered. It does not even fit to NC own ā€œrelease channelā€ description:

When a major new version comes out, we wait about one week and only when no problems are found we start the roll out in steps of about 20% of our user base per week.

the official reading is: stable branch is stable (by definition) if youā€™d look at the referring forumposts of jospoortvliet youā€™d see him encouraging ppl to update as fast as possible to a new major version. and yesā€¦ NC 20.0.0 and .0.1 ARE indeed stable. on my testinstance they run flawlessly. and yes there has been several users who could download it from the stable-channel.

believe it or not.

awww and i just re-read the whole thing here and found any hint on someone telling something different than me. maybe you understood it in a different way.

@rollanders cited an outdated posting. you need to read it fully to understand what jospoortvliet tried to get through

great so why not updating to 19.0.5? do that. After that you should find nc 20.0.2 at least offered in the beta-channelā€¦ and as i told you above i found the update from 18 to 19 only with 19.0.2. in the stable channel.

i donā€™t see your problem. if you want to update to nc20 - you know what to do. v20.x IS considered stable. (see above).

sure thing. but nothing is as easy to explain as the channel-ā€œissueā€.

in short:

• beta and RC-versions are considered beta and thus wonā€™t never make it into any stable channel. PLUS: they are marked beta or RC.
  • x.0.0+ versions are considerd stable and thus pushed to the stable channel.
  • if you wonā€™t get offered a new version via stable channel there can be several reasons for it (see above for some of them)
  • if you want to upgrade though - you now know the trick to get the desired version though.

@Rhinox
what do you want me to do for you? the behaviour of your instances clearly show that it is exactly like is just said. staged rollout, some instances could update others not. so what?

only if your version is equal or higher then 20.0.0

that means that the one who is missing is version 19.0.5 or smaller while the other twos where already 20.0.0 or higher.

1 Like

@JimmyKater

What you are saying isnā€™t concordant with what another leader is saying in this channel:

@tflidd said this:

Sorry, it is vague description and we donā€™t know exactly when it is changed. Iā€™d guess for the current 20.0.1 release, there were already a few bugs known that make it only in the 20.0.2 release where is a risk that these bugs will spike up in enough setups, so they decided to delay the rollout. Here is the list of fixes applied in the next minor release:
https://github.com/nextcloud/server/pulls?q=is%3Apr+milestone%3A"Nextcloud+20.0.2"+is%3Aopen (also check the already closed ones).

As far as I know, there is no github issue that discusses the update of the stable channel, where you can see what is holding the release back.

So itā€™s stable enough, however they decided to delay the rollout because it had bugs in it? So I guess thatā€™s the definition of stable. This thread sums up everything Iā€™ve been talking about. Communication and version numbers an whether something is indeed stable enough although it has bugs etc ā€” Its extremely confusing. Isnā€™t there a definitive source for these types of answers? I mean no software is ever stable in terms of bugs, however usually products when deemed stable enough by the developing group just release the appropriate version. Iā€™m having a hard time believing you canā€™t in the slightest get where myself and apparently other users in this thread who have responded are coming from.

As every other software, Nextcloud also has some bugs in it and not all of them are found before a release. So far, I donā€™t see a problem. You can of course install 20.0.0 or 20.0.1, starting with 20.0.2 you will also get it through the updater in the stable channel.

Btw. Thunderbird did the same with the latest 68.0 release. They made it available for the public as a stable release. But existing users hadnā€™t been offered an update until the 3rd or even 4th dot release.

1 Like

@kevdog

so now itā€™s your turn - Hereā€™s what I expect of you: you show me a ā€œstableā€ software with several 100k lines of code which is without any errors, glitches and everythingā€¦

after you found just one weā€™re gonna talk about ā€œstableā€ being stable or not.

Iā€™m waiting for your input here.

until then NC is beta-tested and had some release candidates before it was released stable.

and a last time: if you canā€™t wait for a version to be offered to you you always can either switch to beta-channel (where even stable versions will be present at times) or download the desired version from download.nextcloud.com and install it manually.

1 Like

Looking at the number of comments in this thread there is obviously plenty need for clarification.
Why not following kinimodmeyer recommendation explainig it a bit on https://nextcloud.com/release-channels .

@Chartman123 ā€“ my problem isnā€™t exactly without the rollout strategy ā€“ although honestly picking one anecdotal story that uses the same strategy really doesnā€™t prove anything ā€“ its with the communication from Nextcloud. My original question just asked what is the latest Nextcloud release since many in the forums were talking about 20.0, others said they didnā€™t have 20, 20 for me (as it still is is listed in the beta channel) ā€“ so I was confused. Even more confusing are items like below when I switch to beta channel - hit the download now button and Iā€™m offered 19.0.5 for download. Iā€™m really voicing a communication issue rather than anything else.

@JimmyKater Seriously whatā€™s up with the attitude? Elitist much? Iā€™m voicing a problem with communication, not with the software if it has bugs or not.

@Kugeleis Iā€™ve seen the page you link to. It was one of the first places I looked. Unfortunately some of the information contained on that page isnā€™t applicable. In this case Version 20 has been out for a while. The page states that roughly 20% of the user base would be offered the chance to upgrade every week. So hence it about 5 weeks everyone would have access to the upgrade ā€“ fair strategy as they explained it. However in this case this isnā€™t whatā€™s happened. 20.0 has been out much longer than 5 weeks and its still not in the stable channel if youā€™re running 19.x. So thatā€™s kind of the point of this post. What actually is the latest Nextcloud stable release because the communication about what version is the actual stable release, and what channel the stable release is on is very confusing from an administratorā€™s perspective. I know Iā€™m not the only one with this issue or this thread and so many like these wouldnā€™t be appearing with such regularity on these forums.

Apparently asking the question ā€œWhat is the latest Nextcloud release?ā€ and Iā€™m greeted with forum moderators challenging me: ā€œso now itā€™s your turn - Hereā€™s what I expect of you: you show me a ā€œstableā€ software with several 100k lines of code which is without any errors, glitches and everythingā€¦ā€ And you wonder why there is a communication problem?

Actually it could (should!) be normal. Many software with a large user-base use staggered rollouts, where new updates are offered incrementally to more and more users (either in waves or stochastically). Reasons are plenty so Iā€™m not going to go into those, but the end result is that not all machines get the update at the same time, and that is on purpose. Well-known examples for software that do exactly this are Microsoft Windows and Mozilla Firefox. And this is actually the better and more reliable way to roll out new versions of even minimally mission-critical software. IMHO Nextcloud fits that criteria.

Honestly, I have no idea if Nextcloud uses such a system, so if not all your machines got the update at the same it time, it could be because of this or maybe, as you imply, really due to a bug. But my point is, not all machines getting the update at the same time is actually what Iā€™d expect and is normal, and I wouldnā€™t expect problems behind it unless we explicitly know that Nextcloud doesnā€™t use staggered rollouts. In the latter case they should introduce it ASAP.

1 Like

@kevdog

sorry to chime in here againā€¦ but the things you bring to the discussion are just pure nonsense.

if youā€™d ask ā€œwhatā€™s the latest NC releaseā€ the correct answer is:
NC 18, version 18.0.11
NC 19, version 19.0.5
NC 20, version 20.0.2

All 3 versions are maintained and so far up to date and patched with the latest patches.

So if youā€™d still be on NC18 the latest version would be 18.0.11 - completely up to date.

Youā€™re detecting a problem here on the forum in the way of communicating? Well grab your own nose and start asking correctly at first. This might avoid misunderstandings.

Apparently you run NC 19. So the latest release FOR YOU will be NC 19.0.5. It was released yesterday.

yes. But apparently not for your instance right now. Why not you might ask? Easy: see the above discussion. Keywords: staged rollout, meeting requirements etc.

What is as problematic for you to understand this? Itā€™s really easy.

1 Like

@kevdog
If you start upgrading to 19.0.5 you will most likely be offered 20.0.2 in the beta channel.

1 Like

Watched the thread the last days and ask all writers to calm down a little.
The documentation could be better ā€¦

Would anyone write a summary and file an issue at https://github.com/nextcloud/documentation/issues ?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 3 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Good idea, and thanks to @JimmyKater for bringing it to my attention. Done!

You know, itā€™s VERY easy to propose changes to our website :wink:

1 Like

Does that address your questions? I really tried to explain it as well as I can, though I am under no illusion that this will make the questions go away as it can be complicated and, sadly, most people donā€™t fully read. I did push for a change in the configuration, but I canā€™t do the work and need help. Perhaps you or somebody else here is able to help with this: