What is latest Nextcloud release

Seems NC is something like " Schrƶdingerā€™s cat": stable for new users, and at the same time not stable (beta) for users already running previous version.

One more weekā€™s gone, still no 20.x update for me. I do not remember this with 17->18 or 18->19 updateā€¦

1 Like

20.0.2RC is out since yesterday. i guess maybe next weekend we get the 20.* version (with 20.0.2) in stable channel.

At this point it is clear that they wait at least for the 20.0.2 release, and even then not the first day of the release to stretch the load of their server. You know the ways to get it earlier, and if you go for something stable, then it shouldnā€™t be a problem to wait a bit longer. The information policy is not very transparent in this regard, in this case please submit a feature request on https://github.com/nextcloud/nextcloud.com/issues and propose to put more information on the homepage which is the current stable version and what bugs are holding back the switch to the current major version.

1 Like

20.0.2 is out but not offered as update on 19.0.5

@Kugeleis, @kevdog , @Rhinox, @hairydog

guys, I simply donā€™t understand why discussions like that (I canā€™t update to newest version) needs to be warmed up again and again and again.

IT HAS BEEN SAID ALREADY a dozen times on the forum before. EVERYTHING you read here. So please do everyone a favor and search the forum before you post a question and thus make sure that your question hasnā€™t been answered before.

Thanks for your understanding.

7 Likes

@tflidd, @JimmyKater, @jospoortvliet
(I am citing you as maybe you can contribute to find a ā€œdefinitiveā€ solutionā€¦)

I have the impression that we miss a page that states what maybe can seem obvious to many.
This page could be either on Nextcloud website or on this forum. I do not know if the best path is with a community maintained page or not.

What do I mean by stating the obvious?
Something like:

Nextcloud version is this[link].
Take into account that you can read the process of deployment here [details about the process of updating the instances not all together]

In addition you have to remember that:

• if you are using a docker, snap, package of a distribution, those are usually updated by their maintainers after the release of a new Nextcloud version. So youā€™ll have to wait some time after a new Nextcloud release

• Clearly Nextcloud uses some underlying software: database, webservice, operative system. If you manage a Nextcloud instance youā€™ll have to verify from time to time that you have a version recent enough to update Nextcloud. Youā€™ll find info about the minimum versions of the various software here [link]. Some of these updates could be managed by your installation (i.e.: snap, ā€¦)

• Take into account that the question ā€œIs it stable enough?ā€ has a different answer according to your context. Even if Nextcloud puts its best efforts in providing you a good software, you will have a specific kind of installation, specific test capabilities, specific backup procedures, specific importance of the data, ā€¦ and so on. So at the end the decision on when to update can only be yours. We advice only not to use an unmaintained version to avoid security risks

Please triple check if I made some technical mistakes :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Spartachetto

Thank you very much for putting this out.

Let me tell you that there are several clear announcements for all of your points. OK they might be not in ONE document.
But even if so: the real problem is that whatever we might publish - it wonā€™t be read by those users.

to avoid that we could try to implement a nagging question: ā€œHave you searched the forum for similar problems, already? You might wanna take a look here and here and hereā€, which needs to be checked OK before youā€™re allowed to make this postingā€¦
but itā€™ll prolly become a routine to check that question OK. And thus itā€™ll become unhelpful again. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

@JimmyKater I do agree with you.
Yet a comprehensive answer (and possibly one generic enough not to be updated at every release) prominent enough both in the forum and in the official website could avoid a part of the repeating questions.

I mentioned also Jos because I believe that

1. He can help with the ā€œprominent enoughā€ part
  2. The text should be read/reviewed by a good communicator
  3. We should put the concepts in a way compatible with Nextcloud marketing material

How about fixing the admin interface?

If I manually check for a new version I donā€™t care if Iā€™m in wave X. I want the current release of the selected channel!

Roll out waves are good practice for automatic update notifications but not for manual checks.

If there is a problem with a dependency that prevents me from getting the current release please alert me.

Itā€™s fine to blame the users but the mass has spoken in every one of this threads and the only solution I is to fix the update logic and not to implementing nagging questions!

cool. I guess we just found someone volounteering on that now. Thanks @slalomsk8er - looking forward to your contributions. How fast will you have it ready?

@slalomsk8er

1. I am just a member of the community, like JimmyKater, trying to help
  2. I do not think I blamed anyone. I am just saying that sometimes I see asked questions that skip what seems basic knowledge (like snap embeds the software, yet has an additional development)
  3. I think that good documentation never hurts
  4. Checking dependencies can for sure be improved, yet it is not easy given all the parts involved (consider also Redis, Grafana, ā€¦) and the several different installations. And, as @JimmyKater pointed out, someone has to develop itā€¦
  5. Roll out waves have good security reasons and avoid a lot of tickets by installers that maybe sometimes miss the exact scenario. In addition I guess that they also help Nextcloud to control the bills for bandwidth use. As Nextcloud is providing the service for free I think we should appreciate itā€¦
1 Like

@Spartachetto

1. this is good, yet the problem is systemic and somehow no other project I follow has this problem. So my guess, itā€™s the specific UX design of the updater that causes this.
  2. the blaming references the proposal of installing nagging questions - I work as a developer and blaming the user is a pet peeve of mine
  3. this is very true and a hard task - I try my best at work and even then I some times fail to be clear and concise enough
  4. I had the impression it does this already if this is one of the reasons a new version is not offered
  5. this is why this logic is the default but if a user actively requests a manual check the tool better presents a answer that is congruent with the press relase and if not offers an explanation about why not (see 4.)

@JimmyKater sorry, will not happen as I have a more important problem with the Icinga Director. Also it would be more efficient if a Nextcloud developer would fix this UX problem as Iā€™m only a Nextcloud administrator and have no experience with the code base yet.

sure enough it wonā€™t happen since itā€™s way easier to vent off about something than really doing something to fix the ā€œproblemā€.

I hope you feel better now.

But wells little do you know that we are discussing this subject since at least 5 major versions. And nothing changed so far. So IF it was easy I bet it was already done. Meaning: it doesnā€™t seem to be as easy, apparently.

Apart from that: NC lives by itā€™s community. Itā€™s even driven by itā€™s community. And lost without it. Which means everyone is asked to provide help in the best way they just can (I am here doing my thing on the forum which is quite time-demanding).
Just dropping in to some place yelling at everyone that something sucks and that it might be fixed better now than tomorrow is not very helpful. It clearly negates your own responsibility for the project to evolve.
So IF you THINK something should be done (immediately) you should ask yourself how YOU yourself could be part of a possible solution and not become part of the problem.

Please keep in mind that this software comes to you for free. As does the forum and the ā€œhelpā€ ppl offer there. You simply canā€™t demand: change this or that.
You rather need to deal with reality.

i would recommend to add a release plan for stable channel here: https://nextcloud.com/release-channels . at the moment no one besides the developer knows when it will or could happen.

1 Like

@kinimodmeyer

you mean e.g. something like this here?

Since at least 5 major versions and a lot of posts means there is a problem worth fixing and Iā€™m not venting about a personal problem as I understand the logic and how to install and upgrade - even from source if I feel the need.

My intention was to caution about investing your resources where it will not affect the source of the problem and point out my perspective about where I see the source and give pointers about what could be done about it.

Sorry this is all I can do to help at the moment.

you mean e.g. something like this here?

yes exactly!

there one new column with ā€œprobably stable channelā€:

with version 20.0.2 (until 2020-11-23)

ummm. maybe there are more important things to fix.

Like for ME this whole ā€œproblemā€ simply doesnā€™t exsist. Upgrades come when they come. If I wanted something earlier than the system wants me to have it, I know what to do. Anyone forces someone to update their instances at all cost and immediately.

And there has been examples when the initial NC .0.0-release contained some undetected issue and thus devs just stopped the delivery rather than having the forum flooded with problems.

I think we donā€™t need to please early adopters installing everything immediately and then running into troubles they canā€™t fix. ANd this is no NC-only problem but valid for a whole bunch of other software-projects as well. First and foremost iOS. But as well Windows, etc. Users should get away from the urge of updating new major-versions immediately.

There is a lot of angry feelings in this thread which wasnā€™t my intention. Iā€™m not hear to tell Nextcloud or their developers what to do or use. My entire point was their numbering system for their releases isnā€™t clear to me. When the release versions of their product like 20.0 or 20.01 or 20.0.2 and then tell me through this thread ā€“ well these are actually kind of ā€œrelease candidate versionsā€ which you shouldnā€™t use unless youā€™re into the development arm ā€” thatā€™s confusing to me as an end user particularly when I see these numbers thrown around in the nextcloud forums and other platforms like reddit. Perhaps Iā€™m wrong but are these releases actually tagged as RCs or just numbers?

nope, they are official releases and by definition stable. release candidates are beta and thus marked as beta and RC, of course.

due to the staged rollout of the upgrade it could happen that you wonā€™t get them for a while. but if your instance will meet every requirement itā€™ll be suggested to you sooner or later.

like I was changing over to NC 19 only when webupdater was offering me 19.0.2 in the stable channel. of course it took a while but usually itā€™s waiting for the better (and of course I would had been able to upgrade beforehand by changing to beta-channel. I resisted)