We should help popular VPS providers distribute our images

I’m thinking about DigitalOcean or Scaleway which feature easy to install apps.
Of course with the official Snap, it’s already a one-click-one-command affair, but in terms of spreading the word, it’s always nice to be featured in the app store.

What do you think @ezraholm50 @enoch85 @pierreozoux and many other whose name I haven’t memorised yet :)?

2 Likes

Good point. Do you have any friends at DigitalOcean @oparoz ? :slight_smile:

I don’t think so, but I don’t see why they would refuse a well made VM which runs on their infrastructure. That means more sales for them.

Tech and Me isn’t big (around 1500 unique visitors per day) but I’m planning to expand the Nextcloud Section in the same way as I do for ownCloud. That means different sizes of the VMs, and also one Hyper-V image. That’s a start anyway.

Just have to find the time.

1 Like

That’s great news :slight_smile: :fireworks:

Good idea, but what do distribute then. If I can make these assumptions;

• People who dare to buy a VPS are more skilled/motivated to find out how something works.
  • No port forwarding, yet more focus on good firewall rules

Docker and Snappy are more 1 command and run right? Do we want the users to do that or guide them through the setup with the VM?

Personally I think the VM is a great solution here, if the people that install it are a bit adventurous right? It also lets them customize stuff. On the other hand, that is already an option to just install an Ubuntu 16.04 OS and run the install script of the VM so that only takes 1 or 2 minutes more…

Or are there any other options that I dont know of yet? We’d better graph the Pro’s and Con’s and decide then.

@oparoz Could you get me up to date on the PICloud? PM?

@enoch85 I got someone that converted the Debian OC to NC, he’s cleaning the scripts will share it when he’s done. Maybe create a big “to do” list again…

@ezraholm50I don’t know if you are referring to Tech and Me when you talk about

Docker and Snappy are more 1 command and run right? Do we want the users to do that or guide them through the setup with the VM?

…and

• People who dare to buy a VPS are more skilled/motivated to find out how something works.
  • No port forwarding, yet more focus on good firewall rules

?

Anyway, if we talk VPSes here and when someone buys hosting in the shop, we (I) will set it up for them. There are no port forwarding, the Nginx proxy handles all that and firewall rules are set in such a way that the customer only can reach his/her own IP, nothing else. Also, with OPNsense we get more benefits in form of intrusion detection and a bunch of other neat-things-to-have.

but what do distribute then.

We already distribute them in our shop and via our site, or have I missed something here? Also, the VM is linked as the only VM on Nextcloud’s download site, we get quite some traffic from there: Download and install Nextcloud.

if the people that install it are a bit adventurous right?

What? :slight_smile: They don’t need to be, the script takes care of everything. It’s as close to a one-click-install as you can get. The only reason why the scripts exists is because we want users to be able to change passwords and make modifications to their VM even without any Linux skills - that’s the whole idea from start.

Maybe I misunderstand you completely now, but I don’t really get what you mean. We have a solution in place, at least Tech and Me - I can’t speak for others.

Maybe create a big “to do” list again…

Let him send us a PR instead :wink:

@oparoz
I got several requests per email about different VMs, so I’ll try do set it all up asap. It’s the second on my list.

Yeah you quite do so, topic title says “popular VPS providers” so I’m reffering to that subject.

I’m well aware that Tech and Me offers the solutions and we should keep doing that.

But we need to separate the intended users we want to reach with this, to move on with the topic question.

• Don’t want to do anything setup wise - Docker/snap
  • Want to do a little or learn - VM
  • Want to do everything (script wise and see whats happening) and tweak around - VM

Thats how i see it.

Also by portforwarding and firewall rules I meant that buying a VPS at eg. Digital ocean wont require routing but firewall rules. Which have not yet been implemented into the VM, which i think they should (Just a simple echo: these are your open ports, if you want to open more: sudo ufw allow xxxx).
Setting it up at home is where the VM is for designed right now. Some small tweaks need to be done to make it workable for both, Firewall/routing, GSO TSO compression etc

And again for sure i know what you mean but this isn’t about Tech and Me, just about other company’s to offer a nice Nextcloud package.

Oh no, too early for me on a Saturday. :slight_smile:

But still, why do you think that there is a learning curve when using a VM? What is the difference as you see it? Take me for instance, I don’t have a clue on how to use docker, but with the VM I just mount it and I’m up and running. Couldn’t be easier if you ask me.

Why do you have to set firewall rules when using DigitalOcean? As the server are at their place, no firewall rules is required on the users end, right? Not even SSH as that’s something that DigitalOcean would forward ports for. The user connects to DigitalOcean, no need for incoming connections on the users end - or am I missing something here?

Regardning the open ports Apache listens to which services that are run, so no need to open 80. 22 and 443 for example.

No problem. We’ll not everyone will have a learning wish indeed but, the VM is the best option for it since you can access everything. If you take the snap, things get a lot more difficult…

Anyway they don’t have to be but look at you and me… you know what i mean. The VM is a great solution for every user skilled or not skilled. The docker and snap are aimed at the less skilled, I think they are…

About the firewalls etc, I think no one will agree just letting the ports open and trust the hosting company to setup firewalls? My hosting company doesn’t do jack for me when it comes to firewalls, how simple is it to: ufw default deny incoming && ufw allow 10000/tcp && ufw allow 443/tcp && ufw allow ssh && ufw enable

But lets have this up for discussion, I’m all ears!

What about a Bitnami Image?!

Look interesting so far, haven’t read much about it yet but something to look in to.

Guys, google “nextcloud vm”, which one is the first hit?

Something about an app called Gallery+? Is that a VM?

@oparoz Haha, too funny :wink:

What about user scripts? Most popular VPS providers allow you to create a server with configurations. Maybe someone* could start something up in GitHub for DO’s block storage feature to add XX extra size as well.

Digital Ocean’s user scripts:

UpCloud’s initialization scripts:

*& by someone, I mean someone that’s knowledgeable bc I am not; however, I would gladly assist, test and learn.