Users should not be able to delete shared folders from other users

Hello, our case/need is simple, and i didn’t find a way to solve it. If we share a folder with a user or group, the users can delete the shared folder. The shared folder disappear from the user who deletes it. No data is lost from the original folder, but the shared folder/link disappear from the user who deletes it. We think it not the correct behavior, the user’s should not be able to delete shared folders. How can we solve it? Is there any way to prevent it?

2 Likes

Hi,

Actually I want to be able to remove (old) shares from my personal space. I like my space tidy and clean and when something I don’t need to see/ read is shared with the whole group or somebody forgets to unshare the folders/ files after a while again, it gets pretty messy. Consequently I really love to be able to remove these shares by myself.

I understand, that there are use cases, where it might be bad if users “accidentally” remove a share and need it again later, which only results in more work for the sharing user.
With such an feature to disallow removing a share, I would rather have an opt-in option in the share dialog. And maybe the admin can deactivate this option in the share dialog globally.

1 Like

Hi Schmu, exactly, adding a check in the share dialog to activate/deactivate the option to remove that shared folder for the other users would be great.

2 Likes

hi, have you found a solution?

Hello,
I’ve the same problem… ¿any solution?

Thanks.

the same, and the thing is that users can only delete or unshare from their main workspace, once they get in the shared folder these options are no more available.

Think it would be great if admin had the capability to avoid this behaivor

Hello,

I configure Nextcloud instances within a public administration, it is decided to create several groups with specific access and rights on folders.

However, I encountered the problem of the user who ends his sharing…

This is problematic because sharing by group, not user (easier to manage), there does not seem to be any possibility to “force” the sharing of this group without affecting the other member users. Also, I haven’t seen any notification indicating the end of the sharing, which is problematic if the user doesn’t understand what he’s doing.

For the moment the only solution found is to split and then re-share the folder with the group that is causing the problem, which is not very relevant.

Axel.

There are two sides to this. That would mean other users can force things into your NC folder and you would be unable to remove them without involving an admin.