Users of specific group shares all files (no private)

Hello everyone. :blush:

I was wondering if it’s possible to set up group permissions so that users of a specific group all share the same files and folders.

Ideally I would like it so that all users of the group are restricted to the same folder in my nextcloud data-folder. I’ve been trying to figure it out by reading through the admin manual but without luck.

Is there anyone out there who can think of a solution for this?
Thank you.

I hope I understand your question correctly. For me it sounds like Group Folders (it’s an App and feature in NC12) is the perfect choice for you.
You create a group folder and assign it to a Group. Every user of that group has this folder in their home directory then and can add new files to that folder (and delete modify them).

If the users shouldn’t be able to store files in different folders in their user’s space, there was the option to set their Quota to “0” and leaving them no space at all to store files. Unfortunately this doesn’t work in NC12 currently, but there is an issue opened for that currently:

Until this is fixed you could have a workaround with File Access Control maybe.
Let’s say:
User Membership – is – "unprivileged users"
System Tag – is not – “read-write”

You then need to create the group “unprivileged users”, add the users in question to that group, create a Tag in “Workflow” named “read-write” and assign that Tag to every Group Folder.
It’s not tested, but could work … maybe :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thanks a lot for your reply!

I’ve now used Group Folders to share a folder between all users in the group.
Instead of setting the quota to “0” I’ve set it to 1 MB.

The users are now able to upload to the folder but not in any other folders.
– works as intended.

Thank you. :slight_smile: