The Great Nextcloud Box Topic

Hi Carlos.

Same here. So in the meantime I have installed Raspian on my Pi 3.
That comes with a VCN server. If you install a VCN client on another computer you can use that one to control the Raspberry Pi remotely.
It is explained quite nicely on the raspberry web-site. I ended up using the recommended RealVCN client although it is quite slow. But it worked for me out of the box whereas others didn’t. Although that might be me, I have never used VCN before.
Once that,s up you can play a bit with your new box and bridge the time.
I have also seen instructions how to install nextcloud on a Pi 3 + box. That was without snaps in the old way, still it seems to work.

Client will not connect to server again. Ping to server responds. Connected monitor, cmd ununtu-standard displayed. Login: ubuntu password: ubuntu. msg. packages can be updated

SOLVED: https://github.com/nextcloud/nextcloud-snap/wiki

Windows

Connect to the Box
Type sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade and press "Enter"
Press the “y” key to accept the proposed changes
Type sudo snap refresh ubuntu-core and press "Enter"
Type sudo snap refresh and press “Enter”

removed and combined above

I keep getting an error while booting that mentions kernel modules.
It is also not possible to see nextcloud on the network.
I can login at the terminal though.
I have a Raspberry Pi 2 model B, is this incompatible perhaps?

I have everything working (except gave up installing the desktop client on my Xubuntu machine and used owncloud version, windows machine at work was fine) but I now want to switch my servers from a .ddns.net one to a subdomain of my own domain.

How can I do this?

easy instructions for a linux learner please :slight_smile:

For Nextcloud you just need to add your subdomain to the list of trusted domains, in the webserver you have perhaps to add the subdomain somewhere (if you don’t catch all SSL connections with one virtual host). If you have a dynamic ip address, you can create a cname record of your subdomain pointing to your ddns.net-subdomain.

Thanks for answer

Re Nextcloud part: Do I just need to redo 3. and 4. here? I want to replace the existing server with my domain one if possible

Re Webserver part: way over my head :smiley: but I have already redirected my subdomain to my home network IP.

Are you using the snap-install? You can just add trusted domains manually to your config/config.php file. Perhaps your webserver is already set up correctly, so just give it a try.

Sorry, I have just blindly followed instructions on the Wiki - I have no idea if I am using snap-install, or even what it is.

So I just add the domain to confic/config.php via ssh?

If I try my subdomain on my phone browser via mobile data it says that the connection to (my home IP address) is untrusted

I could just try these things out but am being very cautious as I dont want to fix it till its broke

If you get this error on the browser, you can click on a button to add this domain automatically (works not in all cases). If it doesn’t you need to connect via ssh and add it manually.

I got my box yesterday and happily played around with it but through a chain of events I somehow ended up with a completely wiped SD card. Unfortunately I also did not make a backup before starting. So basically I only have hardware now. Any ideas on how to proceed and get the box up 'n running again?

• NC 10 was pushed last week
  • Apache hanging when generating SSL cert has now been fixed
  • Pi3 support should be available next month
  • It should be possible to download the SD card image relatively soon (crossing fingers that nothing blocks the release)
  • Right now it’s important to manually update all deb packages as well as snaps, but in the future, everything should auto-update, as planned
  • Support for mounting folders in /media will be available soon
  • Snapweb is still considered beta and still won’t be available by default
1 Like

Thanks, but,

I cant seem to find the config.php file or the config folder or in fact any folders via ssh:

ubuntu@ubuntu-standard:~$ ls
ubuntu@ubuntu-standard:~$ 
ubuntu@ubuntu-standard:~$ find -name "config.php"
ubuntu@ubuntu-standard:~$ find -iname "config"

please tell me what am I doing wrong.

PS I am using the box, but should I be posting in this thread or should I be starting another more specific one?

I have most things working (files uploaded, Android apps, windows client, linux client I gave up on and used the Owncloud one), and I have all my files uploaded but I have a couple more questions over and above the one tflidd has been kindly helping me with:

1. It took nearly two days to upload my 120 GB of documents via the linux client. For when I do the same with my music, is there a quicker way?

2. I am trying to follow this to access an mp3 (I uploaded one to test) on kodi via WebDAV.
    However, it does not seem to work (Kodi ‘couldn’t connect to network server’)
    When I try the test in my browser of 'To test this, you can open your web browser to http://username:password@server/share/ ’ I get 'The requested URL /share/ was not found on this server.'
    If I then try http://username:password@server/ I get to the Nextcloud login page where I can only enter after inserting user and pass

Can someone help please?

I got my box yesterday too. Everything seems to work. I found only on issue when i want to synchronise calendars and contacts. Is mod_rewrite enable by default an is .htaccess configured to get the .well-known links?

The server info page, showing CPU and memory usage, hammers the Pi2 CPU.
At rest (only admin user logged in to the Files view and one ssh session open to run top) load is about 0.1 - 0.2.
Opening the Admin page and selecting ‘Server info’ spawns some 6 or so php-fpm processes and causes the load to increase dramatically. Over the space of a couple of minutes the load rises to over 2.2 before dropping back to 1.5 over the next 5 minutes or so, CPU usage rising to 33% and staying pretty constant.
This means that the system load imposed by the ‘server info’ page, so distort the actual system load as to make the information meaningless. Naturally, this is a function of the low power of the Pi2, but a simpler page would really help to give more meaningful information. The graphics are nice, but they seriously distort the data being presented.

@leigh

1. Not really recommended, but you could simply plug the hard drive into a USB3 port on your NAS or computer and copy files to a folder. Then using the occ command, you could rescan all files and have them available in your NC
  2. The URL to the WebDAV folder is indicated in the settings (wheel, bottom left) on the Files app

@jlicher

mod_rewrite is enabled and the well.known URLs are created, but there could be something else blocking access.
If you’ve got a working setup using a more traditional setup and it doesn’t work with the snap, please open an issue:

@ChristianS

Good point, I suggest you open an issue at https://github.com/nextcloud/serverinfo

Getting a Let’s Encrypt certificate, when using a dynamic DNS name can be a bit fraught. My experience was not ideal, but HTTPS is now working. I have a DDNS name using ASUS’ (the router manufacturer) DDNS system, This means the domain name is not very pretty (blah.asuscomm.com), so I picked a free domain and put a forwarder on the DNS entry using frame forwarding as a 301 didn’t seem to work. After several days waiting for propagation to work I reverted to using the asuscomm.com domain name, as the Lets Encrypt installer would time out trying to use forwarding domain in addition to the horrible ASUS one. I will have another go, and perhaps change DDNS providers too.

Thanks!

1. I wont do this then as not recommended. Hopefully it will only be once anyway

2. in Kodi I put
    davs://username:password@ubuntu-standard.local/remote.php/webdav/
    (last bit from settings wheel, NB davs not dav)
    & Kodi accepted it this time :slight_smile: