Synchronization Issues and User Lockout in Nextcloud

Hello, I am facing a technical challenge that unfolds into two main issues:

1. Recurring Synchronization after Reboot: Whenever the machine with the Nextcloud desktop client is shut down or rebooted, synchronization is triggered again. I noticed that after rebooting, previously synchronized files disappear. Upon starting the client, it indicates it’s performing a new synchronization of all files, totaling approximately 3.5 GB. Researching the forum, I found out that this behavior is intentional, as the system doesn’t trust the previous state of the files. While it’s inconvenient, I can understand the logic behind it. However, during this synchronization, the process is often interrupted with the message “Operation canceled”. Even trying to restart the process or relog into the Nextcloud client, the issue persists. Interestingly, after a few hours or even days, the files appear synchronized “magically”.
    Forum Reference.

2. User Lockout after Login Attempts: The user in question is frequently deactivated due to multiple login attempts.

PS: Dozens of other users synchronize their files without encountering the described issues.

Actions Taken:

1. We created a new user and assigned the appropriate permissions.
  2. Reinstalled the Nextcloud client.
  3. Enabled the Nextcloud client log to try to gather more information, but without success.

Additional Information:

• Desktop client version installed via ppa:nextcloud-devs/client: Nextcloud version 3.5.4-20220806.084713.fea986309-1.0~focal1 Using Qt 5.12.8, built against Qt 5.12.8 Using Qt platform plugin ‘xcb’ Using ‘OpenSSL 1.1.1f 31 Mar 2020’ Running on Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS, x86_64
  • Operating System: Ubuntu (Gnome) 20.04LTS

• Nextcloud server version: 27.1.3.2
  • Operating System Server: Ubuntu 22.04LTS
  • Note: The Nextcloud server is set up behind Cloudflare.

Thank you for your time!

1 Like

3.5.4 might be to old

try something like 3.10.1

After updating the Nextcloud client to version 3.10.1 AppImage, the “operation cancelled” error has stopped. However, a new problem has arisen. Despite setting the client to synchronize all directories, some remain unsynchronized. The client indicates that the synchronization is complete (with all directories properly synchronized), but when checked through the file manager, the specific directories are empty.

Additionally, I am now accessing the Nextcloud server directly, bypassing Cloudflare, to rule out possible interferences caused by it.

Anything notable about the files/folders missing?

Also potentially of interest:

https://docs.nextcloud.com/desktop/3.10/faq.html#syncing-stops-when-attempting-to-sync-deeper-than-100-sub-directories

https://docs.nextcloud.com/desktop/3.10/faq.html#there-was-a-warning-about-changes-in-synchronized-folders-not-being-tracked-reliably

How so? As in no logs or 
?

The client side debug logs should definitely have loads of info in them!