Strange Linux Desktop Client Behavior

Hi!

My nextcloud client suddenly started acting weird. It first prompted me that it couldn’t write log files, I think that’s because it filled my drive with log files, I deleted all log files but it was creating them at alarming rates, 20 .gz 2MB files every minute or something. I made it so it’s now logging into a readonly file but it doesn’t solve the underlaying issue. It seems like it’s always running a sync for no reason.

The spikes you see here are caused by the nextcloud client, when nothing is going on. I’m not using the computer and the sync is complete, files are not different from server, but this is the load of the client.

image

It’s saying “synchronizing with local folder” even if the check mark is showing, then it show the syncing icon shortly at every now and then.

I’m using Ubuntu 22.04, I recently updated my server from 24 to 25 and then 26. The client is the flathub flatpak 3.9.0

Nothing special can be found in the log, it’s listing all my files like that:

2023-06-21 18:20:09:758 [ info nextcloud.sync.discovery /run/build/nextcloud-client/src/libsync/discovery.cpp:424 ]: Processing "[a path to a file on my nextcloud folder]" | (db/local/remote) | valid: true/true/db | mtime: 1679742145/1679742142/0 | size: 0/4096/0 | etag: "641ed4c1eb390"//"" | checksum: ""//"" | perm: "DNVCKR"//"" | fileid: "01793324ocdpl6t6mcw4"//"" | type: CSyncEnums::ItemTypeDirectory/CSyncEnums::ItemTypeDirectory/CSyncEnums::ItemTypeFile | e2e
e: false/false | e2eeMangledName: ""/"" | file lock: not locked//

I don’t know what to do. I have 240GB of synced files, I don’t want to have to sync all of this again …

OH if it can help, after the first “can’t write to log file” prompt, I had to log in again, enter password from web interface, when I started the client back up.

I really tried to find answers online, I even disabled bulkuploads from the server as some people suggested.

(I also turned my server and my local machine off and on again but it didn’t work lol )

EDIT: I tried using the appimage and it did not fix anything.
EDIT2: I tried using the 3.6.1 appimage and it seems to work for some reason, but it’s not a solution

At the moment desktop client does very verbose logging. there is work in progress to reduce logging and I see around 30% less logs with 3.9.0 compared to 3.7 and 3.8 on WIndows… but still many logs (20M archives every 2 hours)

I think it’s not the only issue, if you look at CPU usage it makes one thread peak at 100% usage every 10 seconds. It wasn’t the case with previous versions. I’m revert back to 3.6.1 now and it’s not doing this.