[SOLVED]Where shall I report on documentation errors?

I ran into a documentation error while conducting backing up experiment on a nextcloud instance the other day. Admin Manual told me to put

"maintenance" => false,

into config.php to put the server to maintenance mode, while it should be

'maintenance' => false,

https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/stable/admin_manual/maintenance/backup.html#backup

But looking through the nextcloud forum I didn’t found a place to report documentation error.

That is not a documentation error. It doesn’t make a difference if you set it between double or single quotes.

As far as I could understand from your other posting and the provided log file entries shown in it, you prepended the line "maintenance" => true, to the array like this:

<?php
"maintenance" => true,
$CONFIG = array (

That resulted in the error:

PHP Parse error:  syntax error, unexpected token "=>" in /var/www/nextcloud/config/config.php on line 2

The configuration setting “maintenance” is always in the array, and when changing it manually, you only have to set the value from true to false (or vice versa) and the line must never be placed in front of the array, which according to the log file echo you must have accidentally tried once.
So it is not a documentation error but an interpretation error.

It says in the documentation:

and I have a suspicion that you just took the example too literally:

<?php

"maintenance" => true,

Maybe the example has to look something like this, to make it bulletproof:

<?php
$CONFIG = array (
"maintenance" => true,
2 Likes

But the admin manual also mentioned maintenance mode in
https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/stable/admin_manual/configuration_server/config_sample_php_parameters.html#maintenance
as

'maintenance' => true

Should it at least be consistent through the manual? I have zero knowledge in php and this inconsistency is confusing to me. :pensive:

in that case, you should certainly not immediately assume that the manual is wrong…

You should read the manual carefully, it says Change "maintenance" => false, to "maintenance" => true,. It doesn’t say Add "maintenance" => true,

:wink:
Peace :heart:
Happy hacking

2 Likes

Yes… :pleading_face: