[SOLVED] Another "Failed to load Collabora Online - please try again later" problem

I manually updated CODE to v. 21.11.6 (the latest one available from the NC GUI was 21.11.4); disabled and enabled both Collabora Online (v. 4.2.3) and CODE. Still the same issue:
ā€œFailed to load Collabora Online - please try again laterā€.

Is there a way to debug it to see whatā€™s wrong?

I recently installed NC 23 Hub II on a V-Server with 4 vCore and 8 GB RAM at the hosting service Strato.de. I installed the Collabora app and the CODE server. While loading an *.odt document I get the error message: ā€œDocument loading failed. Try again later.ā€
RAM is enough but Iā€™m afraid that the server (virtual server) is not suffiend enough. I tried the Collabora demo server and that works fine. Back to CODE I get the same error message.

Sadly, my rented server is to small for that. But I donā€™t use LibreOffice often, so I deleted it from NC. But that could possibly be the issue on the Raspberry Pies. Perhaps in some time I will use a bigger server (My whole family use it) and maybe CODE will works then.

Hi,
Iā€™m expiring the same issue - every try to open a file with the built-in CODE server ends up in error ā€œFailed to load Collabora Online - please try again laterā€

Looking into the error console of the browser i see 502 Proxy Errors and therefor I looked directly onto the server. There I tried to run the Collabora_Online.AppImage as user www-data and Iā€™m getting a ā€œpermission deniedā€ error.
Looking at the file permissions i see: -rw-r--r-- and this seems pretty strange to meā€¦ Modifying the permissions lets me start the AppImage but then I get an other error (that maybe is connected to some other work happened lately on my server and I think this isnā€™t happening to everyone).
Could someone maybe confirm that the permissions have changed with the last update of CODE to Version 21.11.103?

Hi, I recently open a threat with this problem, but I am not runing on docker or snap. I see that my permissions of my CODE built-in and collabor app are www-data:www-data and ā€œ-rwx r-x r-xā€ at the root folders. The files inside are ā€œ-rw- r-- rā€“ā€ with same user and group

1 Like

Hi!!

I just solved my problem adding the line
ā€™allow_local_remote_serversā€™ => true,
to my config.php, restart apache (systemctl restart apache2) and now it is working!!!

Hope it be helpful!

3 Likes

Thanks a lot for your reply - unfortunately this didnā€™t changed anything in my situation :man_shrugging:.
As before the last CODE Update everything has worked without problems i have a suspect that this could have generated the problemā€¦
The missing permission to execute the AppImage from shell is also strange - before the update this seemed to work. Maybe this has been changed intentionallyā€¦

I use the Docker Collabora not the Appimage but updating my Nginx (https://sdk.collaboraonline.com/docs/installation/Proxy_settings.html#reverse-proxy-with-nginx-webserver) solved it for me. They changed ā€œloolā€ to ā€œcoolā€ which broke literally everything in the reverse proxy plus changed the ā€œstatic filesā€ location.

Copying and pasting the changed locations from the link above fixed it for me using 5.0.1 of the app.

1 Like

Hi,

Iā€™ve found the solution for my problem: the process of coolwsd blocked the port on the serverā€¦ therefore after the update the newly started AppImage couldnā€™t connect to the portā€¦

Thanks a lot!

Oh my god you are a life saver

you saved my day

Iā€™m sure theyā€™ve created a frustrating confusing disaster for many people because who thinks to look at a working reverse proxy configuration? I donā€™t know why they didnā€™t just do a symlink in the container instead of wasting hours of peopleā€™s time trying to hunt down the problem but oh well. :slight_smile:

Yeah, I first noticed the issue with the beta versions, but thought, eh maybe itā€™s an issue they will fix. Then they rolled out the stable and it was still happening, and I was thinkingā€¦ crapā€¦

I happened to be digging in the docker container, cause I had scripts that deployed the container with additional fonts. That portion suddenly wouldnā€™t work, which I found was because of the folder change. Then I was eventually able to put two and two together. But still, that was an hour and half Iā€™d like backā€¦

oh trust me im okay with wasting my time reading the official docs but the thing is, official docs are old even (uses the old lool) This is why it was super confusing like i followed the docs and yet canā€™t do it

https://nextcloud.com/collaboraonline/

to be honest nextcloud community support is fucking bad. I feel devs are here to just help companies and not us in the forums

So literally it was only YOU who linked to the new nginx configuration so really thank you <3

an hour? i spent day and half just to know it was cool now instead of lool :joy:

Yeahā€¦I got lucky, no doubt about it.

Slightly off topic - but docker collabora version 21.11.1.4.1
confirmed working. Iā€™m aware a lot of the other posts above were in relation to non-docker version, however sometimes its good to find information in general on what versions work, and what do not.

I think most know newer versions of docker work fine. The issue was the surprise, not really announced, extra reconfiguration of the reverse proxy server for those upgrading from versions earlier than 21

@jshpettus ā€“ Hey thanks for that information. Really good. Mine was running fine but after reading your response ā€“ I thought to myself ā€“ what the heck?? My configuration should be blowing up just like everybody elses. But it wasnā€™t. So I had to investigate.

So my setup is a traefik reverse proxy (communicates via https with nextcloud) that proxies over http to the collabora docker container listening on port 9980.

I looked at the documentation and all I saw mentioned was either Apache or Nginx for the reverse proxy ā€“ nothing about traefik. I see where the developers switched the loolwsd directory to coolwsd (which honestly imo very dick move but whatever). Traefik since it was tied to exact directly structure that was modified continued to reverse proxy as normal. Weird. I guess truly dumb look on this one.

Thanks for update.

Thanks this fixed the problem for the built-in Collabora Online Development Edition (CODE) server app. The error appeared after after app updates.

It works for me! - Thank you, you are my hero :+1:.
Nextcloud 24.0.4-0
Collabora CODE 22.05.5.2
on an Univention 4.4-9 Server

I was searching more than 6 months for this solution, so I used the ā€œNextcloud Officeā€-app as a replacement while that time.

I made an account on these forums just to post and tell you that this also solved my problem. Praises be.