SeedVault backup to nextcloud does not back up

Hello,

I’m using CalyxOS and SeedVault for backups on my android device (Pixel 4a) including apps, but the backup status summary says “last backup: never” and the details all read “waiting to back up…” and show the dreaded exclamation-point-in-triangle icon. When I re-choose nextcloud as backup location, I get the “initializing backup location… This may take some time” message, some spinning, and then it returns to settings with no further information.

The nextcloud app on the phone works without issue.

I should add that I am a degoogling nextcloud noob and though proficient in other OS contexts all this is pretty new to me, so if this is a dumb or duplicate request, apologies in advance.

Hi @di1342

The README.md of the SeedVault app does not mention anywhere that it can store Backups to a remote storage like Nextcloud. It only mentions flash drives / external storage as a target for it’s backups. Unless it has native support for WebDAV or integrated functionality to connect to your Nextcloud directly, I don’t think what you are trying to achieve is going to work…

Addition: I also found this:
https://github.com/seedvault-app/seedvault/wiki/FAQ#where-is-my-backup-stored

Either way… It would probably be best to open an issue on their GitHub page. Maybe they could give you a hint on how to work around your issue…

https://github.com/seedvault-app/seedvault

…maybe the problem is, that when you choose Nextcloud as a backup target, you are trying to store the backup to a location, that you are also trying to backup. But that’s just a guessing.

Thanks for the reply, I will go to SeedVault if no one here has had a similar issue and found resolution.

As far as backup storage, I believe it (and probably the issue itself) is an integration problem, and that the potential backup destinations proposed come from the phone/OS, not the app. When you choose NC as the target, it walks through a standard login/permission-granting process, so it’s working up to a point.

Hi,

In my case (latest nexcloud running on a raspi4), it seems to work but the backup process stop sending notifications around 10%, then some files are present on my nexcloud servers, but on the phone side, it says that there is no save yet…

I so configured it to use a davx5 webdav mount (on the nextcloud instance) instead and all is fine that way…
I cannot say if it is a nexcloud conf issue, a bug in seedvault or a bug on nexcloud… ?

Check your logs. Here…

Hi @di1342,
You are missing the required support template. Please fill this form out and edit into your post.

This will give us the technical info and logs needed to help you! Thanks.

How do you set up davx mount?

Hi,
into the davx5 app, you touch the 3 horyz bars in top left, choose WebDAV mounts and add a mount with url https://[SERVER URL]/remote.php/dav/files/[nexcloud user name]

1 Like

thank you for answering. Should of seen that though!

Im thinking its to do with database you cant just send to it. As files appear go to the server but cant see them in web portal.

Kind of like if you addded a file through terminal it wouldnt show up in web portal

i used to do seedvault-backups to nextcloud on my lineage-phone and it was surprisingely easy. I have a fully configured nextcloud-app and its files can be accessed with the local “file-manager,” so in seedvault i just chose a dir in nextcloud. (no dav-mounts or anything else required.) Seedvault even offers davx as a backup-target directly, but maybe lineage is different fromcalyxos…
GOOD LUCK!

@ninjajellybean, I was able to find my Nextcloud backed-up files in a hidden directory under “All Files” for my account. You may be able to find them if you check the “show hidden files” tick under the file settings menu. That said, I was never able to get Seedvault to work for me there. Always fails at around the 11% mark.

It’s notable that at one point I was able to get a successful backup using Seedvault and NextCloud (like 6 months ago). Not sure what’s changed unfortunately. Maybe a software update. Maybe I broke something without realizing it.

I also tried the WebDAV setup, and while that makes it further, it still freezes at 29% and then finally fail as well.

My NextCloud app, and other DAV things (calendar/contacts) both fully work, and Seedvault was able to run a complete backup locally (unfortunately couldn’t find the option pete.dawgg mentioned to store the “local” backup in a mounted nextcloud directory), so it really is just a weird integration issue.

Now I have an excuse to track down a thumb drive with USB-C so that I can have a device backup that’s not on the device itself :slight_smile:

My circumstances are different. Webdav mount works fine for me mounting with davx as instructions mentions. Then selecting the mount in seedvault through the file system.
Yeah i realised the hidden files thing after, but it also didnt work that way without davx.

The only issue is restoring. You cant restore from the mount until davx is setup. And you cant set this up on the oob initial setup restore from backup section.

So you have skip restore and then use the dialpad to bring the Restore menu back up after davx web dav mount is setup. On my OS, it was something like #RESTORE# (COULD BE INACCUARATE, would need to look it up again) but then could successfully restore.

If memory serves me well.