Secure Outlook add-in is now available for testing in free-as-in-beer version

I am experiencing same symptoms. " The settings are incorrect. Please check the server url, username and password. " with latest version 24-10-2017 and previouse version 18-8-2017.

I have tried oldest version 6-7-2017 which does get past config during initial outlook load, but when trying to upload a file, it simply hangs. when using this older version I can see on my nextcloud server that a random folder name has been created under the outlook>Upload-files share folder, but no contents ever get written.

I am on English (default english). I have tried setting en-EN as advised, but it always resets back to just en

My services are hosted on the web so I have no control over the TLS parts.

Using Outlook 2010 32bit on Windows 7

It almost works with the oldest (6-7-2017) version, but the previous (18-8-2017) and newest (24-10-2017) versions fail in the same way.

Any ideas to try?

Here is a log entry of the debug;
17/05/2018 15:22:20: Logging Activated!
17/05/2018 15:22:21: Initializing language: en-GB
17/05/2018 15:22:21: URL REQUEST: https://{server url}/ocs/v2.php/cloud/capabilities - METHOD: GET - CONTENT: NULL
17/05/2018 15:22:52: Encrypt result: {pass hash}
17/05/2018 15:22:52: Reading settingsā€¦
17/05/2018 15:22:52: Decrypt input: {pass hash} - {username}
17/05/2018 15:24:33: URL REQUEST: https://{server url}/ocs/v2.php/cloud/capabilities - METHOD: GET - CONTENT: NULL
17/05/2018 15:24:43: application/pdf - application-pdf
17/05/2018 15:24:44: Uploadingā€¦
17/05/2018 15:24:44: WebDavCmd: https://{server url}/remote.php/webdav/Outlook/Upload-Files//20180517 - Command: PROPFIND
17/05/2018 15:25:04: Encrypt result: {pass hash}
17/05/2018 15:25:04: Reading settingsā€¦
17/05/2018 15:25:04: Decrypt input: {pass hash} - {username}
17/05/2018 15:25:16: The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.
17/05/2018 15:25:16: WebDavCmd: {server url}/remote.php/webdav/Outlook/Upload-Files//20180517 - Command: MKCOL
17/05/2018 15:25:44: application/pdf - application-pdf
17/05/2018 15:25:47: WebDavCmd: https://{server url}/remote.php/webdav/Outlook/Upload-Files/20180517//ca7f1ab1ea7b42e58c0f60bd7129f494 - Command: PROPFIND
17/05/2018 15:25:48: The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.
17/05/2018 15:25:48: WebDavCmd: https://{server url}/remote.php/webdav/Outlook/Upload-Files/20180517//ca7f1ab1ea7b42e58c0f60bd7129f494 - Command: MKCOL
17/05/2018 15:25:48: URL REQUEST: https://{server url}/ocs/v1.php/apps/files_sharing/api/v1/shares - METHOD: POST - CONTENT: path=/Outlook/Upload-Files/20180517/ca7f1ab1ea7b42e58c0f60bd7129f494;password=Bkttb6;shareType=3;expireDate=20180518

Server name has been replaced throughout with {server url}
Username has been replaced throughout with {username}
password hash has been replaced throughout with {pass hash}

Seems the 404 not found is the issue, however the structure is correct. (except for the double //)

Regards
Jason

Hello,

so I tried the latest x86 version (20171024) on Win 10 (x64) with OL 2016 (x86) but it is still not working.
Seems that there are still the same problems as half a year ago with Win7 and OL 2013. :neutral_face:

I donā€™ get what the problem isā€¦ is the plugin not the same as the commercial one, but with feature restrictions?

When I start writing a new e-mail I see the buttons, I upload a file but my NC shows only a share with folders and still no file inside. Also there is no information in my e-mail copied. So I starting again a that point where I was half a year ago :cold_sweat:

Help!

Thanks!

Regards

PS: I forgot to mention: The installer says version 2.1, but when I look in Windows software deinstallation it says version 1.5.0. ?

When I open a mail send out using the plugin I get a ā€œphishingā€ warning in thunderbird.

This makes the whole message look like a security issue and not a gain in security. Is there a way to prevent the mails from triggering the ā€œphishing-preventionā€ within thunderbird?

Best regards
Norbert

@codec:

Hi,

just to understand it correct: Your mail was sent with Outlook / Outlook add-in and you receive th email via Thunderbird and get a phising warning?

Regards

Yes, thatā€™s exactly what happens sending with Outlook 2010 and receiving with thunderbird 52.8

Regards
codec

@codec the phishing warning is probably triggered due the Nextcloud logo which is inserted which is not apart of your domain. E.g. logo redirects to nextcloud.github.com/somelogourl while your email is codec@example.com. This is probably the reason as why the message shows. I donā€™t know of a direct solution.

@jason_bullough The failure to upload files is probably related because of the password policy bug which is adressed in the new build. For your second error ā€œsettings are incorrectā€, this can be related to the brute-force settings.

@blu-IT This might be related to the password-policy bug adressed in the new build.

Brute-force protection issue
Symptom: sometimes the add-in will generate a ā€œPlease check the server url, username and passwordā€ error. This is probably related to the brute-force protection being triggered (to many api requests). This can happen when many users use Nextcloud (plus add-in).
ā€œIf triggered, brute force protection makes requests coming from an IP on a bruteforce protected controller with the same API slower for a 24 hour periodā€

For the add-in this means that a time-out comes up and therefor it thinks the login failed.
To solve this, install the brute-force settings app and whitelist your network.
https://apps.nextcloud.com/apps/bruteforcesettings

Here is the new build, with versioningā€¦ (2.2.0.1)

• Added; Italian language support
  • Fixed; Password policy bug (affects NC server version 12+)
1 Like

@usselite:

Thanks a lot for your effort!!! Now it works! BUT before that I had to reestablish the connection, reentering the nc-password in the addin settings (there was no message that there is a connection problem by the way).
Before that I had the same effect: The addin told me the upload was successful, but there wasnā€™t even the ā€œOutlookā€ folder created in my nc (I deleted it wit the the old addin version). So now it works fine!

One more question: Is it possible to define where the addin is saving the uploaded files (path)? E.g. some other folder in my nc than ā€œOutlookā€ or a complete different naming structure?

Best regards

@usselite:

And another short question: Is it possible to edit the HTML-code for the message output in the addin-settings?
I can see the code, but canā€™t change it (e.g. for translations - german addin language, but english output in the email).

Thanks!

Regards

@blu-IT Hmmm, that is not wanted. I will put it on the list as well to improve the error handling when an upload fails for some reason.

As for now it is not possible to set this path. I can make it a variable however that the beginning ā€˜Outlook/Public-share or Outlook/Upload-Filesā€™ can be set. However the add-in auto generates unique share names. Solving that wonā€™t be as easy. Is this what you meant?

Editing the HTML code is only possible in the Enterprise version. Regarding to the local language support for the snippet itself, it can be added. Another list item :slight_smile:

@usselite:

Regarding the path:
From the point of view of accessing the files (with full access to the folder ā€œOutlookā€) later on, it would be nice to have more influence on the structure. For now I can see a date and unique names, but handling lots of documents with customers isnā€™t easy that way. I have to check my e-mails to investigate when a special document was sent/shared with that customer and than navigate back to nc and try to find the correct folder.
So, some more possibilities to define (maybe also different paths/folders out of ā€œOutlookā€ for each email) surely would be nice.

1 Like

Would it be an option to add the logo inline so it is not loaded externaly?
Another idea, you could fetch the logo from the nextcloud installation e.g. ./core/img/logo.png thus itā€™ll come from the same domain.

Regards
codec

@codec @usselite:

I did a short test and I can confirm that behavior of Thunderbird.

Regards

@usselite:

Iā€™m sorry, another short question:

When selecting a file for upload, I can define a expiration date but not a password. This is automaticly generated an copied into the email.

I this a wanted behavoir of the addin?

Thanks!

Regards

@codec I will look into it, having a phishing notification is unwanted.
@blu-IT Hmmm. I understand. The Activity app in Nextcloud itself might help you some on that part for now. I rather not make the creation of folders to complicated, so I need to think about that on to solve that.
That is right, we choose for setting the manual password as a Enterprise future. The automatic generated password will entirely respect your password policy though.

@usselite:

OK, thanks again for your effort!
I also have to think about what kind of concept regarding the path/folder structure would really make sense.

Again: Thanks for your effort, that software and your will to accept constructive feedback! :raising_hand_man: :+1:

Regards

Hi everybody,

We are testing Nextcloud for replace Owncloud in our company. We want to use the Outlook Add-in to place attachments in Nextcloud to reduce the size of emails

But, the Outlook Add-in does not work. He is connected to the Nextcloud Server, but the button (Advanced, Share Files) are inactive (Server HTTP / local domain).

We test on: Office 2010 / 2013 and Windows 7 / 10 x64.

Since we are a big company, should we use the company version? For testing, we use the free version (which has fewer features).

Regards,

iā€™m gonna ping @usselite for youā€¦ heā€™s the maintainer of said app ā€¦

@SebCHB the free edition does not limit you in that way. You can contact me through PM and I am happy to look with you. If possible please provide some screenshots on how it looks for you.

@codec I embedded the logo now, it wonā€™t be loaded externally anymore :).
Next week I will post a new build which also contains French translations.

I looked into the setting the folders (Outlook/Upload-Files / Public-share) I will add it as a variable.
As the unique folder thing remains an issue I have to extend the current way it handles these things.

Also I am looking (slowly) into integrating the Nextcloud activity data/app and integrating that with e-mails which have been send. So you can see this e-mail had some share activity or not. I donā€™t know if that would be a future which would be interesting? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can you upload it here? Link: https://download.nextcloud.com/outlook/

It would be awesome to have it in one place so people can find the latest version easily.