Reminder for some topics

A few topics slipped through and didnā€™t get the support they should have gotten. Mostly these were topics of general interest (possible bug). Sometimes the original poster managed to get it back to our attention but we probably lost a couple of them.

How can we improve the handling:

1. We could use the tagging feature (itā€™s possible to restrict certain tags to moderators or other groups and tag them important, possible bug or whatever)
  2. In the beginning of each month, we open a topic where people can link their forgotten topic from last month. Some conditions must be fulfilled (be within the last month, not the only one with this issue, ā€¦)

other ideas?

Sounds weird, but focus more on wikiā€™s.

I answer many questions here with a simple link to another post which was already solved.
You could argue that every user could/should use forum-search-function before creating a new issue. But my impression is that many newbies are to underskilled to do so.
My arguementation is different. For me frequently asked questions should result in some documentation (wiki,how-to-blog, video-tutorials, etc.)
That would be a closed loop.

We have some FAQs and howtos, they are perhaps not visible enough. A real wiki is perhaps a bit easier to structure everything and keep it updated by several users. It would make another resource to look for solutions.

Now we have tags:

Well, soon. :wink:

WIKI is a fine idea, Iā€™m working on building out the :bookmark_tabs: How to category, including a supertopic that links to solutions, faqs and guides:

On reminders, an interesting topic:

I agree something would be useful though, I totally missed this topic until you bumped it just now.

A real wiki would have some internal structure and you donā€™t have to generate such overviews manually. But it would need enough people to participateā€¦

I know, lemons > lemonade etc. However Iā€™m not sure if running a wiki alongside the existing docs server, and the forums, wonā€™t cause more work for users searching for answers.

I hoped the conference would have helped more :laughing:

Would have been great to discuss this during an afternoon and perhaps starting to work on a solution.

Yes, thatā€™s a bit dangerous. How would we set it up to make a clear difference without much overlap. There should be more and complementary information and participation should be easier than the official docs.

Right? Should have had a workshop IMO.

More questions - who hosts it, what wiki platform, open editing? If so some of us will have to rollback the spambot/troll edits that places like wikipedia suffer with all the time, etc.

We could login via github or forum login (if possible). And only allow open editing for established users. I suppose there are less advanced spam detection mechanisms compared to the forum.

Good discussion. But keep in mind, that you have to choose your channel depending on the audience you want to adress.

Example:
If you want to adress people with an age of 15-25 you may have the best effect by using videos to transport your information.

Would be good to have some more information about the audience before investing a lot of effort in a docu which only a minor part of the audience will use!

wow that would be the icing on the cakeā€¦ but as for now i think it would just be too much.

sure it means more work for searchersā€¦ but as well it means work to search a fully packed forum ;o) - the howto/faq youā€™re working on so far, @JasonBayton, is great thing but itā€™s hard to find.

i think (at least i hope for it) it should be possible to enter a menu-entry for ā€œwikiā€ in the header of the pageā€¦

Was that an offer? Look forward to seeing what you come up with :wink:

Doubt itā€™s impossible, but then Iā€™d wonder why it hasnā€™t been done for the existing docsā€¦

:thinking: Could be funā€¦

sometimes you can get distracted by something elseā€¦ so when something runs somehow with the most important things you wanna have you then maybe think: aww i could do this but then it gets forgotten?
sometimes its just that easyā€¦

1 Like

Is it just that easy @jospoortvliet? :stuck_out_tongue:

header of help.nextcloud.com? I havenā€™t found any way to change the header but if you find a way point me to itā€¦

WRT a separate wiki, I would suggest we try to keep things in Discourse. A big advantage of discourse is that it searches existing topics when you start a new one, which answers many questions before they are askedā€¦ How many double and triple questions do you get? Imagine our old forum which didnā€™t help users get questions answered from existing topics - 100x worse :wink:

1 Like

Looks like itā€™s a bit manualā€¦

Ok, but this works. What do you want me to put in there?

<script>
function doLink(){
    var topmenu = document.getElementById("category-filter");

if(topmenu==null){
        return;
    }
    if(topmenu.getElementsByTagName("li").length>5){
        return;
    }
     var button_site=document.createElement("li");
	 button_site.class = "ember-view";
	 var link = document.createElement("a");
	 link.href = "http://mydomain.com";
	 link.title = "My Site";
	 link.appendChild(document.createTextNode("My Site"));
	 button_site.appendChild(link);
    topmenu.appendChild(button_site);
}

window.onload = function() {
    doLink();

var timer = setInterval( doLink , 1000);

}
</script>

NC docs please!

If thereā€™s a landing page to select the version of docs thatā€™d be best, or perhaps a ā€œlatest docs versionā€ link, but not one that needs to change every major release.