Recommended translation for new app

My suggestion is that when adding new applications for Nextcloud, let their developers have their applications translated into native languages by the community in Transifex. I noticed that many applications are in English only, which gives users some inconvenience in terms of understanding. Additionally, Nextcloud itself would gain in quality and appearance.

I think it is also a good idea to add information in Nextcloud Apps in what language the application appears in its detailed description (English, Multilingual). The information should be visible to the user before it is downloaded, not after installation.

afaik the native-speaker communities themselves descide if app-names are translated or not. Like in German almost every app has it’s own name… leading to certain headaches if you’d need to translate it back … like for searching for hints on the forum, e.g.

We already discussed keeping original names and adding a german translation to it in brackets. But devs told us that it’s a matter of space… usually there’s not enough space left for that.

usually all apps do come in english… (except for one that I found which is all polish so far). and you’re right there’s no hint on the apppage if it’s translated into your native tongue or not. though there are small hints on the referring github-site of the app… if you’d find certain files there it could be translated.

afaik the native-speaker communities themselves descide if app-names are translated or not.

@JimmyKater I mean the translation for the entire application, not just its name. Application names may be in English.

my statement from above is valid for entire applications as well.

if app-dev decides that there will be translations made via transifex then it’s up to the community to translate app resources into their language.
note: you don’t neccessarily find all apps under the nextcloud-project.

note 2: the existance of a l1on file might hint to an existing transifex-translation.

1 Like

The app developers are free to decide about translation of their apps. Some do it manually, some use Transifex. The Nextcloud projects offers support to get i18n work done, but the developer need to do the first steps.

1 Like

if app-dev decides that there will be translations made via transifex then it’s up to the community to translate app resources into their language.

I know and we are just translating :wink:

note 2: the existance of a l1on file might hint to an existing transifex-translation.

But the user may not know about it. The information should be clear about the language of the application to the user when downloading it from Nextcloud Apps or Nextcloud.

The Nextcloud projects offers support to get i18n work done, but the developer need to do the first steps.

@rakekniven Yes, we’ve been through that thoroughly before :wink:. Only maybe not all developers know that Nextcloud projects offer such a possibility.

it’s up to the admin to decide if they’re gonna install it or not. And I think you could expect from an admin to find out about the language-problem.

BTW: Afaik NC20 could bring a change in that point. I have read something like that (am not et sure though if it would really solve the problem)

Nextcloud’s code of conduct should be telling dev’s about that possibility. Or the community could do that as well (that already happened with certain apps here)