Production ready End-to-End encryption and new user interfaces arrive with new Nextcloud clients

It is maintained by @ivaradi.

Since end-to-end encryption requires and empty folder on the server to sync to, what happens if you try to sync a second computer to a top level folder on the server that contains and encrypted folder with data in it? Will it fail? Thank you.

It should ask you for your mnemonic so it can set up syncing between the two computers. We’ve tested that between at least the desktop client, android and iOS - so it should work.

The Nextcloud Desktop GUI is not showing on Gnome. I’ve installed nextcloud-desktop version 3.0.1-1. My Linux distro is Debian Testing. When I try to launch the Nextcloud Desktop GUI, it doesn’t show. I had previously set up synchronization with one of the folders end-to-end encrypted, and all of that is working. Using nautilus, I can see the folders tagged as being synced and end-to-end encrypted. Local changes are reflected on the server. I tried switching from Wayland to X.org, but the behavior is the same.

On a second, identical machine I did a fresh install of Debian Testing and installed the Nextcloud Desktop client. The GUI showed up one time. I was able to configure the new client, turn syncing on etc. The folders synced to the new machine, but again, I could not relaunch the GUI.

Should I file a bug report? Has anyone else seen this behavior?

are you root?
I had similar behavior, and the solution is at the end :

How do I use E2E?

• Run latest desktop and mobile apps
  • install e2e from the appstore on your instance
  • follow documentation, as linked in the appstore
1 Like

Thank you!,

Hi thsnielsen, thank you for the reply. My situation is different in that the client is running, syncing is working, but I just can’t bring up the GUI to add folders for example. I set up another machine, the GUI ran once. Everything connected to the server, files synced, but again, I can’t run the GUI. I’m surprised nobody else is having this problem.

the following does not work

i can click and nothing happens

this dialog window cant be resized for some reason and i cant read the full error

@TooManyHobbies @wrewr65f sounds like these issues relate to the desktop client, which you can report by clicking here.

I’ve begun testing e2e encryption and I’ve noticed:

When generating twelve words for encryption it is a good practice to allow people to re-generate the words before enabling (or even provide their own words in multiple languages and spellings).

Thanks for reading, and great work on the software!

1 Like

Where is any documentation for e2e-encryption? I do not see anything in app-store. In github-homepage there is only documentation for API. In NC admin manual there is only something about server-side encryption. The same in NC user manual.

So where is any documentation for e2e-encryption deployment? I think if something is (sic.) “production ready”, then it should have at least some documentation

2 Likes

Thanks for the link. I’ll report it as a bug. I saw someone else had reported a similar issue under Windows, however theirs was resolved by removing nextcloud.cfg. I’ve duplicated the problem under a fresh install of Linux. I’m surprised more people aren’t seeing this issue?

Turns out it is a packaging problem. Some dependencies are missing, and when added, the client works. This is likely to be fixed on Debian Testing within a week. For those who can’t wait:

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=969576

Hi,
I tried “End to End encryption” app for 2 days w/ NC19.0.3 and 3.0.1/3.0.2 Desktop clients , but I had to uninstall the app because a delay appeared for every sync using either the official Desktop Client or other webdav clients (I use Joplin app).
This delay was variable, between 15 seconds and 2 minutes (showing “waiting” or “preparing sync”) so it could have been transparent, but it was at each sync, and for a very frequent webdav sync usage (when I sync Joplin on my Phone, and then on my computer, eveyr hour for example), it was really annoying.
Il will try one day to test thoroughly to see the logs, but I wanted to share this experience here if others found had met this bug ?
Well, it seems to be a bug, because it happens even when I sync via Webdav (using Joplin for instance) and when there is no encrypted folder to sync. (I would have understood if only the sync of encrypted folders would have take longer).
Best to all,
Bruno

This is really great progress, especially with the end-to-end encryption and new shiny Desktop clients. Do we know if E2E-encryption can be used safely on iOS devices despite being labeled „experimental“ in the app (could we kindly ask you about the app’s status @jospoortvliet or @ios? Thank you so very much!)? :blush:

English has more than 600,000 words, but let’s stick to the 2,000 most used words, that any English-speaker, even less educated, knows. It is still
2000^12 = 4,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 = 4.1 e39 possibilities

It’s about 12 times more secure than 16 randomly (truly randomly) chosen characters among the 255 ASCII character set (and quite easier to remember or type, or hide in a textbook etc.)
255^16 = 3.2 e38

It’s about 3 times more secure than 20 randomly chosen characters among the 90 characters that most people use (letters, digits and a few symbols on the keyboard).
90^20=1.2 e39

1 Like

Hi.
Found the same problem, every sync was delayed, with “preparing sync”. So I stopped using built in e2ee and want back to cryptomator.

2 Likes

Hi,
I have seen that issues have been corrected.
But the past evaluation was very poor and the last update of evaluation are a year ago
 were neutral.

Has anybody used it on a simple configuration (1 server no share between servers) with the different clients Windows, OSX, IOS, Android ?

I was very interested by this feature, but as evaluations were very bad, I did not even try

My main concern are : If I intall it,
1- will it possibly block other users not using it ?
2- Does it have effects on not encryted file trees ?

Thanks in advance to any other testers for any answer

Regards.

1 Like

Please do not double post @dge
Replied to Status End2End-Encryption in NextCloud? - #33 by just to this same question. Thanks!