Problem with news feeds in Nextcloud News app after submitting wrong link

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 25.0.13
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): TrueNAS-13.0-U6.1cron.d/
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): apache Portability Library 1.7.0.1.6.1_1
PHP version (eg, 7.4): 7.4

The issue you are facing:
NextCloud News doesn’t sync my RSS Feeds. It grabs the newest items when I add the feed once, but after that it never syncs them anymore. I’m also seeing an error when I load https://my_Nextcloud_instance_FQDN/apps/news/

I’ve also followed the instructions in this link How can I remove all the rss feeds from the news app? - :bento: Features & apps / news - Nextcloud community, but unfortunately it didn’t help.

I’m guessing it has to do some something with my inputting something wrong when entering an RSS feed, but I don’t know how to restore this as the GUI doesn’t give me an option to ‘reset’ the app. Removing the app and installing it again, didn’t help either.

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): Y

Steps to replicate it:

1. Removing the feeds and adding them again

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

{"reqId":"FNSsnqndkwCqu1I2Eq94","level":2,"time":"2023-12-29T08:28:25+01:00","remoteAddr":"my_public_IP_address","user":"admin","app":"news","method":"POST","url":"/apps/news/feeds","message":"/nl/?show_games=0&format=feed&type=rss&format=feed&type=rss read error : cURL error 3:  (see https://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/c/libcurl-errors.html) for /nl/?show_games=0&format=feed&type=rss&format=feed&type=rss","userAgent":"Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/120.0.0.0 Safari/537.36 Edg/120.0.0.0","version":"25.0.13.2","data":{"app":"news"},"id":"6595e9eddf259"}
{"reqId":"FNSsnqndkwCqu1I2Eq94","level":2,"time":"2023-12-29T08:28:25+01:00","remoteAddr":"my_public_IP_address","user":"admin","app":"news","method":"POST","url":"/apps/news/feeds","message":"No valid feed found at URL, attempting auto discovery","userAgent":"Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/120.0.0.0 Safari/537.36 Edg/120.0.0.0","version":"25.0.13.2","data":{"app":"news"},"id":"6595e9eddf265"}
{"reqId":"FNSsnqndkwCqu1I2Eq94","level":2,"time":"2023-12-29T08:28:25+01:00","remoteAddr":"my_public_IP_address","user":"admin","app":"news","method":"POST","url":"/apps/news/feeds","message":"https://adodenhaag.nl/nl/?show_games=0&format=feed&type=rss read error : malformed xml string. parsing error : DOMDocument::loadXML(): Specification mandates value for attribute crossorigin in Entity, line: 5 (2)","userAgent":"Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/120.0.0.0 Safari/537.36 Edg/120.0.0.0","version":"25.0.13.2","data":{"app":"news"},"id":"6595e9eddf273"}

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

PASTE HERE

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:

PASTE HERE

PASTE HERE

Output errors in nextcloud.log in /var/www/ or as admin user in top right menu, filtering for errors. Use a pastebin service if necessary.

PASTE HERE

EDIT: I’ll update the post tomorrow with the rest I need to fill in, but for now I’m going to bed hoping this will be enough already.

Curl error 3 is the format of the URL???

It is strange, do you have an URL of a feed you’d like to add? Could be that there is an issue with the feed itself, or with your curl (perhaps some connections are blocked?).

FYI: NC 25 went out of support last October.

What version of the News app are you using?

As @tflidd stated, the latest versions of the App no longer supports 25. So if you installed it, then it would highly likely break things.