Photos editor is buggy. Is it not stable?

I really like the idea and concept of the photo editor. However, it is very buggy on our server. Are there any requirements or is it just not stable yet?

• For example if I try to add a text to the image, the content keeps changing back to “Lorem ipsum …”.
  • Furthermore, the added text shows up in the thumbnail but if I click the image, the text is not there and will only show if I click edit photo again. After a while the changes are shown in photo. Maybe a cron problem?
  • …

Maybe something wrong with the server settings?

Adding a bit more details:
nextcloud: 25.0.0
Photos: 2.0
PHP: 7.4.30
Ubuntu: 18.04.6
Database: PostgreSQL 10.19

Anybody can comment on this?

1 Like

It is unfit for purpose, and you don’t even get a response on this forum or github. I have the same text annotation problem as you, plus another bug and there is a third bug that I can’t remember now (i gave up looking after that), but all together they make it unusable. I always think that such “in your face” bugs like not even being able to change the text colour etc would be fixed in the next update, but I have updated twice now but nothing changed.

I would have liked to use it as my quick screenshot, annotation/cropping etc, save on local server for use as a link in other places, but it was just too buggy.

Check your logs. MIght find something using our support template.
Please fill this form out and edit into your post.

This will give us the technical info and logs needed to better help you! Thanks.

You can also check the server issues to see if what you are encountering is an open bug or feature request.

Hi @JackDinn, thanks for you comment.

I looked into this again. It seems to be this bug. Took me a while to figure out which “app” it is.

If I press enter key it just creates a new line in the text box (at least in the version I am using). As a workaround (which is quite painful, but it works) you can edit the textbox, press escape and then press cancel in the popup.

Honestly, I don’t understand how they could ship it as stable (we are on 25.0.5 now with php 8.1) and it does not work, still.

1 Like

HI @Remo , Thx for the “bang your head against the wall” method of annotating text. It might come in helpful if i ever install nextcloud again.

@just , I can’t really do your checks as i uninstalled it. There was a report on github Can't change "Stroke" and "Shadow" color in the editor · Issue #1683 · nextcloud/photos · GitHub but i assumed it would be exactly the same for everyone as i tested on multiple different machines, OS’s & browsers, all the same for text annotation being an absolute struggle to try to use, even changing the text colour is not possible and as i say stroke and shadow just does not work at all. I could not find a setup that it worked on, so i removed it which was a pity but the way i see it is if such obvious faults are just left then should i have the thing on my main file server at all (even if it is in a jail), nop.

I shall keep an eye on it though, Thx all :slight_smile:

@JackDinn hehe. We can’t just uninstall NC. It’s deeply integrated in our processes. And overall, we are quite happy with it (our small team is using it for about three years now). If something doesn’t work, the risk is high that it won’t be fixed anytime soon.

You can’t change the way contributors deal with critics or “support requests”, it’s what I’ve learnt over the past years, using NC. The only thing I can suggest is to contribute and help to improve the product quality. It’s something I am planning to do … but unfortunately the day has only 24 hours :wink: After all, it’s open source and you can run it for free, which is pretty awesome for small companies (like ours).

Nah, that is not true. See e.g. https://github.com/nextcloud/viewer/pull/1569

1 Like

And this one is an upstream issue: Editor: Text not saving when clicking outside · Issue #1564 · nextcloud/viewer · GitHub

1 Like

Well, my initial post is almost 6 months old. But maybe it’s because I should have created an issue on github. Back then I was not sure if it’s a bug or just wrong configuration. But I wasn’t talking about this specific bugs in the photo editor app - no offense. There have been bugs in other apps which haven’t been fixed for years. Comparing the open source project NC with for example Node-RED … NC has a long way to go.

yes that would have been better

2 Likes