Opening a File for Edit Direct From a URL?

Nextcloud version 12:
Operating system and version Ubuntu Ubuntu Linux 16.04.2:
Apache or nginx version Apache 2.4.18:
PHP version 7.0.22:
Is this the first time you’ve seen this error?: N/A

Can you reliably replicate it? (If so, please outline steps):
Yes, see below. Not a fault as such but a need for some detailed information, or maybe a feature request if not currently possible.

The issue you are facing:
Situation: editing Markdown text files (*.md) using the Markdown editor plugin (files together forming the content for a web site). Web browsers in use are firefox and chrome.

Is there a URL that will allow me to directly open a file in edit mode, based on the folder path and name of the file I wish to edit? (Clicking on a file shown listed in the Nextcloud file-manager interface does just this, but using the file URL copied from the file-manager inrerface just offers to download the file.)

1 Like

I basically have the same question, but concerning office files (ods/odt) and Collabora CODE as an editor.

I’m running NextCloud 13 with Collabora CODE 3, and I could not find any way to use a link to edit a shared, but not entirely public, document.

Apparently, since NextCloud 11 this is possible if the file is shared with unrestricted access:

However, I’m still at a loss at how to provide it while keeping access restrictions and only making the file visible for specific, logged-in users…

There’s (slow…) progress towards this, e.g.: