OneDrive Integration - mount instead of sync?

Unfortunately, the capacity of my server storage is very limited. Currently, I’m trying to extend it with external storage. In my trivial meaning, I thought that I can extend it with OneDrive.

So I could successfully “integrate” OneDrive. However, the app just only syncronizes the content of OneDrive to the server storage. This means, that every byte on OneDrive will use the same on the server storage, right?

Does anyone know if it’s possible to mount OneDrive storage instead of syncing?
Is it right that “External Storage” (eg. Amazon S3) will really extend the server’s storage capacity? Any experience? Many thanks.

I do not like the name of the app OneDrive integration. It is not an integration, it is only an import of Microsoft OneDrive files in Nextcloud.

First the best thing is to use a bigger internal storage of your Nextcloud. Where do you host your Nextcloud? Post details of your Nextcloud. Maybe we can help you.

Also you can use not one but two or more different Nextclouds. You can manage them in one Nextcloud app and also you can use e.g. federation (docs). I use a lot of different Nextclouds. I have distributed the data in such a way that I rather do not have to exchange data between the Nextclouds. E.g. photos only on one of the Nextclouds. Normal data on another Nextcloud.

The third possibility (but already far worse) is to use External Storage. And yes you can use Amazon S3.

Thank you for your reply.
Indeed, the name of the app isnt’t really worth it. It shoud be named eg. “OneDrive Sync”.

At the end, I extended the storage space with Amazon S3, what’s running fine, even if it was a little bit tricky until the green dot was coming. Unfortunately, the how-to documentation is very rare (or wrong).

For all who need to know how to connect to Amazon S3:

• in AWS, create an admin user with access keys (no password) and give him AmazonS3FullAccess rights. Save the keys for further usage in NC
  • in AWS, create a bucket (use the default values), but select the nearest AWS-region
  • in AWS, note the region shortcut (eg. eu-central-2)
  • in NC, add external storage with Amazon S3/access keys with the following values:
    • Bucket: the name you gave in AWS
    • Host: s3.eu-central-2.amazonaws.com (replace the region if needed)
    • Region: eu-central-2
    • Mark SSL
    • Insert the keys from AWS above
    • Add all groups who should have access
    • If the left dot becomes not green, klick on the right checkmark

Important note: by default, sharing on external storage is disabled. This can be enabled behind the three dots (…) of external storage.

In my case, I reduced the default local quota for users to “0 B”, so they must use the external storage. Usually, the external storage will not be counted to the quota.

I hope this helps for those having a same or similar environment.