No call notification/signal/ring tone at other party when trying to start a call (audio)

It’s VERY relevant. The F-Droid version does not support push notifications, therefore you cannot get notified of message mentions (e.g. when someone writes @michaelof) or when someone calls you.

3 Likes

Ok… So at first thank you very much for technically solving my issue! Good to know, was not aware of that.

Subsequent question: Any reason behind this restriction? Or a misunderstanding on my side?
If I can get a desired app (also) from F-Droid, I’m always preferring the F-Droid version. And for many F-Droid apps I’m using, e.g. K9 Mail, Nextcloud App itself, AntennaDroid, Simplemobiletools Simple Calender (calDAV synced with my Nextcloud, of course), OpenTasks, etc., I’m for sure getting notifications, on top, as configured, also on the lock screen.

1 Like

Considering that I also wrote the push magic for Nextcloud app, I find that REALLY hard to believe.

The reason is that F-Droid cannot build apps with dependencies that are required for push.

Technically, if you have Google Play Services, but don’t want to install an app from Play Store, you could use an APK from Github and Push would work then.

Thanks for clarification. Just read into it, found my lack of knowledge about the difference between “push notifications” you’ve mentioned and the (simple) notifications I thought about.

Thanks for the hint of installing the apk directly from GutHub, fine for me. Will loose upgrade notifications at first, but I’ve already a cron script for this, as I’m using Firefox Mobile with a slightly customized apk for a while now. Easy to extend to watch for new Talk versions also :slight_smile:

Last remark: Maybe worth mentioning somehow, in the relase notes or so? Only in case I haven’t missed anything, again, but the official F-Droid pages are explicitly referring to " * Mobile call & chat push notifications" - https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.nextcloud.talk2/

1 Like

Very last remark :slight_smile:

Installed from GutHub, call signaling now works like a charme. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

P.S.: Chat notifications are not signaled, but that’s not that important for me/us. Will dig into this next days…

Have a nice weekend,
Michael

1 Like

Currently we only support chat notifications when you’re mentioned directly (e.g. when somebody mentions you like this “@michaelof”). General chat notifications will come later.

1 Like

I will modify the description to say push works only if you install from Google Play.

2 Likes

These two quotes seem to conflict with each other.

@michaelof I’m experiencing pretty much exactly the same issue as you. May I ask which version you installed? 2.1.2 or the 3.0 beta, or …?

This is true. F-Droid and Google Play are the ONLY official distribution channels we support.

While you can install an APK from Github (and you get the same version as if you installed from Google Play) you lose ability to upgrade automatically and such.

What issue EXACTLY?

I wasn’t getting any ring or notification on inbound calls. After installing the APK from the github releases page, I got ringing.

That APK Is absolutely the same as the version on Play Store.

Mario, I have problems with notifications and making calls in android nc talk app.
Today I intro to my family more about talk, so they started using it.
and problems started :smiley:
and I thinking that app has problem when there is unansvered call .
One called other and so on. (I checked their nc and canceled call notifications. Then android nc talk app sometimes worked, sometimes not - only loading spinner (make call).

Next problem is, that users do not correctly ending calls with red button. They ending with back button. So server maintain call.
maybe problem is there. (with notifications and making calls (spinner).

Hi jookk
Ihave now the same problem. Iwas happy for around one month until I upgraded the talk app to 3.1.2. Now there no pssibility to reach other phones to talk with them. I do not get a notification at the other phone or one to three minutes later. Before this problem it was nearly perfect for one month. My server is a snap nextcloud 15

Hello,

I also have issues with feedback on the caller side, as well as notifications on the device of the person being called. When a caller starts a call, there is no ringing sound on that device, indicating that the app is connecting. The device being called doesn’t ring either. The person being called can open the Nextcloud Talk app and manually join the conversation.

I have tested all possible audio/video call permutations with 3.1.3 using everything we have - a tablet running CM11 without GApps, a phone running LineageOS 14 without GApps and another phone with a De-Googled stock rom. I first tried with F-Droid builds, then the GitHub ones, but the behaviour is the same, i.e. no ringing on either side.

The only device that worked properly, was a phone with factory bloatware/spyware/Google stuff on it.

Curiously enough, we also have Telegram from F-Droid on all the above devices and it works just fine (I have audio feedback when starting a call, and it also rings on the other device)(how, why?).

Unless I am missing something, it seems to me that Nexcloud Talk is relying on some Google component, which would beat the purpose of running a sef-hosted solution :slight_smile:

So, currently, we use it like this: one makes a Telegram call letting the other know he/she wishes to talk, then the other person manually opens Nexcloud Talk and taps the conversation to join…

1 Like

Update: I have just found this:

Now I understand most of the problems behind this issue - so it seems using Nextcloud Talk in conjunction with Telegram (or something else) is currently the only way to go…

Hi! Are any audio signals supposed in the web version of Talk? I may observe only little red dot when there’s inbound call and that’s all…

Moreover, I constantly observe in the log strange junk:

{“reqId”:“eeN338GIFbRCEgURFrUc”,“level”:3,“time”:“07.06.2020 07:30:20”,“remoteAddr”:“”,“user”:“–”,“app”:“PHP”,“method”:“”,“url”:“–”,“message”:“Undefined index: notification_level at /var/www/html/nextcloud/apps/spreed/lib/Manager.php#194”,“userAgent”:“–”,“version”:“19.0.0.12”}
{“reqId”:“eeN338GIFbRCEgURFrUc”,“level”:3,“time”:“07.06.2020 07:30:20”,“remoteAddr”:“”,“user”:“–”,“app”:“PHP”,“method”:“”,“url”:“–”,“message”:“Undefined index: notification_level at /var/www/html/nextcloud/apps/spreed/lib/Manager.php#194”,“userAgent”:“–”,“version”:“19.0.0.12”}

First of all, thank you for solving my issue with calls not “ringing”. I must have checked every network setting known to man :stuck_out_tongue:

Would it be possible at all to set up the push notifications like Telegram? They have there own service running when you run Telegram without the play store (e.g. from F-Droid) so you do still get notifications.

Some of us really would like to live in a world without Google…

1 Like

Hi all,

I just installed the .apk (v8.2) from github on a Huawei P smart 2021 (it’s meant to stay free from google). However, push is not working…

After connecting talk to my nextcloud (v 20.0.6) there’s a message flashing up and disappearing very quickly; which is why I can’t read it, it does however say something about push…

(just in case it’s of relevance: There are no SIM cards inserted yet)

Any ideas??