Nextcloud Talk Windows Desktop Client

Well, 2 years passed since the first post. Did something happen?

1 Like

I would be very happy with a NC talk desktop client. Not only windows one but also linux if possible. Iā€™m a nextcloud user and admin for personal use since NC 13. I use to promote it to friends and network. A NC talk desktop client would be definitely a must have to replace discord, skype and so on. It is so quick and efficient to get a popup in the taskbar and being able to answer without the need of an internet browser.

2 Likes

This would be great because other companyā€™s that make work group type apps, like Microsoft Teams, do have a desktop client. Itā€™s a pain to always go on the web browser. It would be nice to have a chat/video client. Also this client would allow one to choose local files to upload and of course why not add the gifs image add search as well :). One other thing should be to allow guests to download the app and join without needing a full nextcloud account to join a meeting. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yeah, I am also really waiting for the client to appear. With an app you can make is start on default on all systems. It makes communication much easier. Until that feature appears we canā€™t really move to nextcloud talk.

Came here because I assumed it would exist already. Iā€™m stuck overseas due to COVID-19 and have begun a startup with someone I used to work with. There are time differences and having presence information is essential. I also have a really slow internet connection and having a desktop client would save me from opening browsers and such. I donā€™t care if itā€™s a standard protocol and have to configure the settings, but to have nothing? Iā€™m really surprised, there are so many good things about nextcloud already that surprise me every day, just thought this would be sorted. To me, having the chat app on mobile is the LEAST useful place to have it. Nextcloud is marketed at business and business needs it on desktops. I run Mac, so would be keen to see one for that. My 2c worth anyway. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe you can see how you can Ā« port Ā» the ios app into macOS with Catalina (such a bad macOS by the way)
Or you can enable an XMPP compatible app then you can have a desktop app you can interact with.
Talk is good for chat sure, but you are force for the moment to use the Mobile App or having a webBrowser opened.
In term of bandwidth itā€™s the same, you wonā€™t need more internet bandwidth with the WebUI or the app.

Well, you would be right that ā€˜once the browser is opened and on the required pageā€™ it would use similar bandwidth, but on a slow connection you really notice even getting to this point. And then I have to keep it open, accidentally can close it, donā€™t get notified properly and so on. Itā€™s really not very usable. But to keep my mind open we tried it this morning. Iā€™m really technical, so it was OK for me albeit the issues with notifications and such, but the person on the other end, navigated away to another page, and couldnā€™t get it going for about 10 minutes, eventually realising there might have been two windows open, had to remove from chat, rejoin, then unmute. So for the non-technical, not so great in my test. Weā€™re trying to do actual work here and after this morning we agreed not to use nextcloud chat. So it all depends if Nextcloud want people to take it seriously or not. It sounds like I can do something with XMPP, but given this morningā€™s exercise, Iā€™m probably not going to try instructing my remote non-technical colleague how to do this, weā€™ve got so much stuff to set up already and sheā€™s had enough. Sure itā€™s free and I canā€™t complain about that, but the edges need polishing. And it needs a desktop app to be taken seriously.

marshall, I put together a simple notifier app in electron. one should be able to package it for mac ā€¦ hmm maybe iā€™ll give it a tryā€¦ check it out here: https://github.com/fds2610/NCT-Desktop
ok, i just compiled it for darwin, but it is not yet signed as i am new to developing stuff. further more guthub does not like files > 100 MB so i uploaded it to my personal server: http://code.schepmann.de/NCT-Desktop/nct-desktop-darwin-x64.zip cheers.

2 Likes

Hi thanks for this! I get 404 not found when clicking your link thoughā€¦

You know, I discovered yesterday it can notify me - rarely. It seems it notifies me if I have the nextcloud chat window open and the active tab, but if itā€™s not active and not the primary focus it doesnā€™t. Obviously thatā€™s completely backwards to what anyone would need. Your notifier would be much better Iā€™m sure!

Hello Everyone,

Iā€™m still looking for a solution for a desktop app for nextcloud.
Is There any chance it could be on the roadmap for 2020 ?
Due to covid restrictions, it may have been very usefull for my company
Thanks

got a typo - sorry.

@dragful, i just created a little notifier tray-app. of course this is nothing like a skype-rich-client, but it helps staying connected. To me it adresses 100% of my need. If I receive a bubble I can actively get into my nc talk server and review. There are many ideas, but without help it will keep slow progress.

1 Like

@fds2610 I think if you could modify your app to open the Nextcloud Talk UI within Electron (that could be opened from the tray icon) it would be already a desktop client .

Thanks a lot for your efforts

Iā€™ll check it as soon as I go back to work

Do you need help testing ?

@alfred yes, i had that intention already, but logging in with that windows within electron failed due to http 301 redirection. I commented that part out because it did not word for me and I could need some help for that. I will open an issue in my github and maybe someone could sent me the magic hint :smiley:

@refhi, of course, any help is welcome, though i work on it alone on my spare time, so please be patientā€¦

1 Like

Hi! Have you some of you thought about an extension for Thunderbird, which may add nextcloud talk to existing chat protocols?

2 Likes

Would be a nice idea, having an Open Source mail client that also does chat combines all essential commuinication in one place. One problem though could be the API stability of Thunderbird for extensions.

It is possible to build it upon the pidgin library and thus to make it more universal.

1 Like

Hey all, thought I would bump this thread a bit, can I integrate with another chat app or is there a desktop client now available?